News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: CVski on September 17, 2016, 12:50:22 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 16, 2016, 10:37:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2016, 09:31:07 PM
That would be mid-November, which shouldn't be an issue for things that aren't warm-weather sensitive like asphalt paving.

I think (for reasons not clear to me, perhaps that's what the contractors bid) all of this part of Corridor H (roughly the end of the east section near Davis to the bridge over the South Branch of the Potomac River) near Moorefield is concrete based on portland cement. 

You are correct, all concrete.  Interestingly, asphalt resurfacing is now being applied in the Baker area, on the bridge crossing the Lost River.  IIRC, this area was among the first completed segments of Eastern H, original pavement laid down circa 2002.

There is a brief segment of asphalt by the CR 5 overpass at Forman. Otherwise, except near bridges abutments, it's all concrete from Moorefield to the end of construction near Davis.

WVDOH generally seems to prefer concrete on new construction. While it has been overlaid in most places, DOH has in the last couple years started removing overlays and refurbishing in the underlying concrete on sections of Corridor G and Corridor H.

Regarding the bridges near Baker, my recollection from July is that was high friction surface treatment not asphalt on the bridge decks.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 18, 2016, 10:17:39 AM
That would be mid-November, which shouldn't be an issue for things that aren't warm-weather sensitive like asphalt paving.

I think (for reasons not clear to me, perhaps that's what the contractors bid) all of this part of Corridor H (roughly the end of the east section near Davis to the bridge over the South Branch of the Potomac River) near Moorefield is concrete based on portland cement. 

You are correct, all concrete.  Interestingly, asphalt resurfacing is now being applied in the Baker area, on the bridge crossing the Lost River.  IIRC, this area was among the first completed segments of Eastern H, original pavement laid down circa 2002.

There is a brief segment of asphalt by the CR 5 overpass at Forman. Otherwise, except near bridges abutments, it's all concrete from Moorefield to the end of construction near Davis.

WVDOH generally seems to prefer concrete on new construction. While it has been overlaid in most places, DOH has in the last couple years started removing overlays and refurbishing in the underlying concrete on sections of Corridor G and Corridor H.

Regarding the bridges near Baker, my recollection from July is that was high friction surface treatment not asphalt on the bridge decks.

U.S. state departments of transportation once seemed to like asphalt-surfaced bridge decks for reasons not clear to me. 

Now the preference is for "bare" portland cement-based concrete bridge decks, even when the adjoining road surface is asphalt. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

seicer

Those bridges were all concrete when constructed, but a few may have had high friction asphalt overlays installed atop due to accidents in inclement weather. Those overlays are about .25" or .5". The best example I can think of is the Fort Hill I-64 bridge at US 119 in the curve, installed after a rash of accidents occurred during some rain storms. The Turnpike also uses them on many of their bridges for the same reason, and to extend the lifespan of the deck.

As far as concrete pavements go, I was told years back that it's always down to the lowest bidder per specifications. For whatever reason, it's been concrete over asphalt with a few exceptions, like Corridor H near Moorefield and around Prichard and Crum for the Tulsia/King Coal Highways.

The state has also bought itself a diamond grinder and has taken to using it over asphalt overlays, such as reworking I-64 east of Beckley to Sam Black Church that was built in 1988 (and whose specifications called for an asphalt overlay originally). They also took out an asphalt overlay on Corridor H west of Elkins and diamond grinded the concrete.

cl94

A lot of northern areas use asphalt overlays to increase friction in snow/ice conditions and make it easier to repair potholes. Asphalt decks are really common in New York, New England and Canada. With mill and fill, they can just throw on a new surface every time an area is resurfaced.

From what I can tell in satellite photos, NYSDOT and NYSTA used asphalt-surfaced decks almost exclusively before the late 60s. Nowadays, most new decks are concrete surface, but asphalt overlays are very common after 20-30 years and some new decks (notably the Twin Bridges north of Albany) are asphalt-surfaced. As of late, several of the New England states have been switching back to concrete for some projects.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

epzik8

I don't feel ready to try out U.S. 48 yet. I plan to clinch I-68 within the next month and going back to my home base near Baltimore, I'll take U.S. 50 to U.S. 220 back to I-68 at Cumberland, Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

CVski

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 18, 2016, 10:17:39 AM

Drove the entire EB portion from Davis to Wardensville again this afternoon with closer attention to the road surface.  From a mile east of Davis, it's basically all concrete to the US220 bridge at Moorefield.  From that point east, it's basically all asphalt.  The *exceptions* are that at nearly every bridge crossing, the decks themselves were originally installed as concrete, but the approaches, about 100 linear feet on both sides, were and remain asphalt.

Forman appears to have an unique feature as Bitmapped noted.  For perhaps 1000' on either side of the Rt 5 *underpass*, Corridor H is all asphalt, and the topography for that stretch is clearly cut not filled.  Never really noticed that aspect in 2010 when the section from US220 to Knobley Rd came on line.   Could the potential flooding of Patterson Creek be the reason?

There is an active repaving operation from the crest of South Branch Mountain just east of Moorefield to about a mile west of Wardensville, and that is entirely asphalt resurfacing.  I believe but am not 100% positive that asphalt overlay is also going down right on top of those concrete bridge decks.

And as a general update, near the western terminus outside of Davis, the contractor was busy adding about 4' of additional asphalt on each side of the old SR 93 roadbed.  It appears to be destined for traffic lanes, not shoulder.  This covers the one mile stretch from the 4-lane to 2-lane merge point to SR 32 between Davis and Thomas, a piece that will apparently remain two lane traffic for many years to come.  (A local Parsons attorney had explained to me a couple of years ago that the exact crossing point of Corridor H over SR32 was going to remain fluid until all of the Blackwater Canyon issues were finally sorted out.)  That last point is of interest to local and outside land speculators; a few hundred yards may make all the difference for the land values at what also may predictably become the busiest and most developable Corridor H interchange between Moorefield and Elkins...   

Does anyone know if that additional 4' of lane width has anything to do with US Highway standards...?

CVski

For those following the latest WV wind farm project atop New Creek Mountain, you can really see it taking shape as you travel EB on Corridor H from the Bismarck interchange.   Just as you cross under the turbine farm located on the Allegheny Front, (a total of 99 wind turbine assemblies there, I believe) you can now look northeastward across the valley, and see, looking north to south:

* 12 completed assemblies, tower plus 3 rotor blades
* 25 towers only
* 6-10 additional base platforms, ready for erection
* two heavy crane systems, that must themselves be over 300' tall at their boom or top sheave. 

So it appears that there will be at least 40-something of the new turbines altogether.

Could not immediately tell if any of the generator assemblies have been installed.

I'm not at all familiar with the location of the northern endpoint, but the southernmost turbine will be very close to the Greenland Gap, perhaps only a couple of hundred yards or so to the north(?)

An access road had been constructed up New Creek Mountain a couple of years ago, it connects to H about a half mile north of GG.

Post Merge: September 20, 2016, 09:17:19 PM

More wind farm information here:

http://www.enbridge.com/projects-and-infrastructure/projects/new-creek-wind-project

Bitmapped

Quote from: CVski on September 19, 2016, 08:03:02 PM
And as a general update, near the western terminus outside of Davis, the contractor was busy adding about 4' of additional asphalt on each side of the old SR 93 roadbed.  It appears to be destined for traffic lanes, not shoulder.  This covers the one mile stretch from the 4-lane to 2-lane merge point to SR 32 between Davis and Thomas, a piece that will apparently remain two lane traffic for many years to come.  (A local Parsons attorney had explained to me a couple of years ago that the exact crossing point of Corridor H over SR32 was going to remain fluid until all of the Blackwater Canyon issues were finally sorted out.)  That last point is of interest to local and outside land speculators; a few hundred yards may make all the difference for the land values at what also may predictably become the busiest and most developable Corridor H interchange between Moorefield and Elkins...   

Does anyone know if that additional 4' of lane width has anything to do with US Highway standards...?

A couple thoughts:

- WVDOH design directive DD-601 calls for a 12' lane width for new rural arterials, but allows for 11' lanes to be retained if they were already there. I'm pretty sure WV 93 had at least 11' lanes already. There might have been a slight widening of the lane, but it would have been minor.
- The bigger thing is WVDOH practice for about the last 10 years has been to provide at least a 2' paved shoulder, sometimes more where practical. Existing WV 93 has gravel shoulders. My guess is that the paving is just going to be on the shoulders when this is all done.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on September 19, 2016, 07:47:12 PM
I don't feel ready to try out U.S. 48 yet. I plan to clinch I-68 within the next month and going back to my home base near Baltimore, I'll take U.S. 50 to U.S. 220 back to I-68 at Cumberland, Maryland.

U.S. 48, even though it is incomplete, is much more fun than U.S. 50.

Beware of lots and lots of deer along all of these roads at night in the fall season.

You could take I-68 to U.S. 219 south near Accident, then south on 219 past Oakland, into West Virginia, then W.Va. 32 through Thomas, and a left onto U.S. 48/W.Va. 93. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Forman appears to have an unique feature as Bitmapped noted.  For perhaps 1000' on either side of the Rt 5 *underpass*, Corridor H is all asphalt, and the topography for that stretch is clearly cut not filled.  Never really noticed that aspect in 2010 when the section from US220 to Knobley Rd came on line.   Could the potential flooding of Patterson Creek be the reason?
[/quote]

Probably to preserve the existing bridge height. I've noticed similar on interstates in other states. Instead of an overlay when the time comes for resurfacing, repaving there will be done by "mill and fill."

Whenever that stretch needs resurfacing, the first time it will probably be done via what is called "breaking and seating." The concrete pavement will be broken up and turned into rubble, and the asphalt will go down over top of it. Then the next time, more asphalt will go down over the old asphalt. If this is done often enough beneath the overpasses, it will reduce the clearance. Having pavement underneath the overpass allows the old asphalt to be milled and new put down without changing the clearance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2016, 03:54:40 PM

Probably to preserve the existing bridge height. I've noticed similar on interstates in other states. Instead of an overlay when the time comes for resurfacing, repaving there will be done by "mill and fill."

Whenever that stretch needs resurfacing, the first time it will probably be done via what is called "breaking and seating." The concrete pavement will be broken up and turned into rubble, and the asphalt will go down over top of it. Then the next time, more asphalt will go down over the old asphalt. If this is done often enough beneath the overpasses, it will reduce the clearance. Having pavement underneath the overpass allows the old asphalt to be milled and new put down without changing the clearance.
[/quote]

I don't think I've ever seen DOH do a break and seat. It's just a straight overlay over the existing concrete. DOH has lately been removing some of these asphalt overlays (parts of Corridor G and Corridor H) and repairing the concrete underneath, which you couldn't really do with a break and seat. The other concrete section of Corridor H with an overpass is all concrete underneath.

The asphalt section by CR 5 extends well beyond the overpass as shown on GMaps at https://goo.gl/maps/pT28hE21S8t. I'm wondering if the interchange was broken out as a separate contract and asphalt won as best value on that section.

cpzilliacus

[Paywalled - I have a scan of the full article that I can share if you send me your real e-mail address.  The author of this article is Lon Anderson, who participated in the 2016 Corridor H meet, and e-mailed me the scanned copy.]

Moorefield Examiner: West Virginia Officials Assured Corridor H Will Be Completed

QuoteConstruction of Corridor H — its entire length from I-79 in Weston all the way to I-81 in Virginia — is still very much on track. That's the message from West Virginia Transportation Secretary Paul Mattox, after a recent conversation with his Virginia counterpart, Transportation Secretary Aubrey Lane.

QuoteMattox said Lane assured him that "it's on their radar screen,"  and that "long term, Corridor H is still important to them."

QuoteThe construction of the Corridor H segment in Virginia that will link the predominately West Virginia Highway with I-81 was cast into doubt this summer by a new system for prioritizing transportation projects enacted in Virginia in 2014.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 07, 2016, 08:48:17 PM
[Paywalled - I have a scan of the full article that I can share if you send me your real e-mail address.  The author of this article is Lon Anderson, who participated in the 2016 Corridor H meet, and e-mailed me the scanned copy.]

Did he ever do a story on the meet? If so, I never saw it or a link to it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2016, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 07, 2016, 08:48:17 PM

Did he ever do a story on the meet? If so, I never saw it or a link to it.

He did.  I will see if I have what's needed to share it.

froggie

Not convinced.  There's no hard evidence....just a lot of talk from politicos as viewed from the mouthpiece of AAA Mid-Atlantic.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on October 08, 2016, 08:28:28 AM
Not convinced.  There's no hard evidence....just a lot of talk from politicos as viewed from the mouthpiece of AAA Mid-Atlantic.

Lon has retired from AAA.

froggie

Doesn't matter.  That's the position he's best known for in the region.

CVski

Quote from: CVski on September 16, 2016, 06:26:44 PM
Quote from: CVski on July 29, 2016, 12:19:39 AM
Paving of the two westbound lanes for the 7.4 mile segment under construction east of Davis was nearly completed this week.   1.4 of those miles were poured just between Monday afternoon and today, from the Beaver Creek bridge/Rubenstein entrance to the merge point one mile east of Davis.   Two heavy paving machines, each capable of pouring two lanes at a time, were in place on Monday but both were gone by today. 

For roughly the easternmost half of that 7.4 mile WB segment, both shoulders have also been poured, with the only remaining work appearing to be guardrails, pylons, signage, and lane painting.   The western half still needs both full shoulders to be poured, some minor gravel edging, and the aforementioned items.  In two or three locations, short concrete gaps still exist all the way across, but these are collectively only a couple hundred linear feet in length.   

The entrance to the Mettiki mine is roughly the halfway point of the 7.4 mile segment.

A lot of progress has been made in just a few short weeks.

9/16 Update:

Pylons and lane painting appear to be are all that's left for the eastern half of the 7.4 mile WB segment.  Just west of the Mettiki mine, a support truck and crew were unloading guardrails and associated hardware.   The grass seed and straw blowing crews were nearly finished.  The only concrete to be poured was the last 200' nearest SR 32 where the 4 lanes will merge back to 2. 

Spoke to a flaglady who thought there may still be "a couple of months" to go.

Feels like it might be a bit sooner.

Post Merge: October 19, 2016, 08:01:32 PM

Reports coming out of Canaan Valley that the 7.4 mile segment was opened to 4-lane traffic today...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dave19 on October 22, 2016, 07:42:24 PM
I drove up there this morning. It has opened. There's just a little bit of minor work left like finishing up signing. No US 48 signs west of the juvenile center intersection yet.

I think I saw WVDOT say the signs would be up by the end of the Fall. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dave19 on October 24, 2016, 04:32:05 PM
I forgot to mention that Kokosing is placing trailers, etc. at the Bridges at Kerens.

During the meet last spring, there were a few trailers parked on those bridges, and there had been some clearing across the hill just beyond the bridges.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dave19 on October 25, 2016, 08:39:34 PM
I've been through Kerens a few times since that particular meet; these trailers are different and were not there before. There were two large orange and black trailers there when I went by and they were pulling a third in there when I was on the way home Saturday. I passed another one being towed eastbound by a Kokosing truck between Weston and Buckhannon on the way home from work yesterday afternoon. In short, there's more stuff there now than there was last spring.

That's good news. 

I wonder if one or more of those trailers might have been showing placarding for HAZMAT (explosives) by chance?  I suspect there's going to be a lot of blasting going  on this winter.

CVski

Now open: 63 nonstop miles from Davis to Wardensville, 58 minutes!

mvak36

I've been wondering for a while, is this whole corridor supposed to be a freeway or 4 lane expressway or something like that?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

4-lane expressway, not freeway.

amroad17

I enjoy driving on 4-lane expressways that are built to near "Interstate standards."  Examples are US 35 in OH and WV, US 30 in northern OH, and Corridor D (OH 32/US 50) from Cincinnati to Clarksburg, WV.  I haven't had an opportunity to drive on the "Fort-to-Port" section of US 24 yet nor have I had an opportunity to drive Corridor H.  From looking at photos and messing with Google Maps, this looks to also be an enjoyable road to drive.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.