News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Boston roadmeet?

Started by noelbotevera, October 20, 2016, 09:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: cl94 on November 09, 2016, 12:12:26 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 09, 2016, 12:11:24 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2016, 09:15:17 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 08, 2016, 11:33:38 PM
If there's actual interest in this I could probably host it (or help Steve host it). There's also a few things worth seeing in and around the city that haven't been mentioned, including some old signs, and the tollbooth demolitions on the Turnpike. Also, an abandoned stretch of 128 in the Blue Hills Reservation.
Tollbooth demolitions should be long done by next summer.

Are there any left?  I just see pavement rejiggering now.

Phase 1 is virtually done at this point. Booths are all gone.

Latest update from MassDOT:  http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/transition-to-all-electronic-tolling-on-schedule/
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2016, 09:15:17 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 08, 2016, 11:33:38 PM
If there's actual interest in this I could probably host it (or help Steve host it). There's also a few things worth seeing in and around the city that haven't been mentioned, including some old signs, and the tollbooth demolitions on the Turnpike. Also, an abandoned stretch of 128 in the Blue Hills Reservation.
Tollbooth demolitions should be long done by next summer.

However, that still might be something worth seeing for some people. Even with the booths themselves long gone, AET is still somewhat of a novelty, and it will be interesting to see the interim layouts with the booths gone but the interchanges still in their current configurations.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 09, 2016, 09:26:02 PMEven with the booths themselves long gone, AET is still somewhat of a novelty, and it will be interesting to see the interim layouts with the booths gone but the interchanges still in their current configurations.
To the best of my knowledge, the AET conversion along the Pike doesn't include reconfiguring any of the interchanges and none are planned except for the Weston (I-95/MA 30/128 interchange/plaza) &* the Allston-Brighton-Cambridge interchange; which was the latter being independent of the AET toll conversion project though the latest design anticipated its implementation.   

IIRC, the proposed alteration of the Allston-Brighton-Cambridge interchange was independent of the AET conversion.

What could happen, down the road, is if an additional interchange is needed & built; it will no longer be of the dual-trumpet or trumpet-connector variety (i.e less real estate would be needed/taken).

*Added based on & courtesy of information provided by Roadman
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2016, 09:05:21 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 09, 2016, 09:26:02 PMEven with the booths themselves long gone, AET is still somewhat of a novelty, and it will be interesting to see the interim layouts with the booths gone but the interchanges still in their current configurations.
To the best of my knowledge, the AET conversion along the Pike doesn't include reconfiguring any of the interchanges and none are planned except for the Allston-Brighton-Cambridge interchange; which was independent of the AET toll conversion project though the latest design anticipated its implementation.   

IIRC, the proposed alteration of the Allston-Brighton-Cambridge interchange was independent of the AET conversion.

What could happen, down the road, is if an additional interchange is needed & built; it will no longer be of the dual-trumpet or trumpet-connector variety (i.e less real estate would be needed/taken).

Yes. Heck, in many places, there just isn't room to reconfigure.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2016, 09:05:21 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the AET conversion along the Pike doesn't include reconfiguring any of the interchanges and none are planned except for the Allston-Brighton-Cambridge interchange; which was independent of the AET toll conversion project though the latest design anticipated its implementation.   

In addition to the intermediate Allston-Brighton work - reconfiguring and extending the eastbound exit - being done in Demo Phase II, the Weston interchange is going to be re-configured as well once Demo Phase II is completed.  The westbound exit is going to be changed into two separate exits, one for I-95/128 and one for Route 30.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on November 10, 2016, 09:31:10 AMIn addition to the intermediate Allston-Brighton work - reconfiguring and extending the eastbound exit - being done in Demo Phase II, the Weston interchange is going to be re-configured as well once Demo Phase II is completed.  The westbound exit is going to be changed into two separate exits, one for I-95/128 and one for Route 30.
Forgot about that one (& I've since edited my earlier post to reflect such).

So in a nutshell & at present, only the interchanges that had mainline toll plazas in them are slated to be reconfigured.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2016, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: roadman on November 10, 2016, 09:31:10 AMIn addition to the intermediate Allston-Brighton work - reconfiguring and extending the eastbound exit - being done in Demo Phase II, the Weston interchange is going to be re-configured as well once Demo Phase II is completed.  The westbound exit is going to be changed into two separate exits, one for I-95/128 and one for Route 30.

So in a nutshell & at present, only the interchanges that had mainline toll plazas in them are slated to be reconfigured.

Not quite true. The state put out an RFP a while ago looking to reconfigure the Pike/495 interchange. Not sure the status of it, since I don't think my firm ended up submitting a bid for it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cl94

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 13, 2016, 09:05:49 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2016, 09:38:54 AM

Not quite true. The state put out an RFP a while ago looking to reconfigure the Pike/495 interchange. Not sure the status of it, since I don't think my firm ended up submitting a bid for it.

That one should be reconfigured. Difficult thanks to the wetlands, but the current setup is a mess.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

So since the quiet times are prior to September (when it'd be easiest to do the meet), I'm out. Even then, I'm uncertain if my brother is accepted into MIT, so my chances are really shaky right now and hard to determine. If the meet does push through and happen, and I do go to Boston, I can just retrace the itinerary (I tried to do so with Richmond, but didn't have time).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.