News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on June 13, 2019, 09:36:48 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on June 13, 2019, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: ixnay on June 13, 2019, 06:10:30 PM
Chicagolanders call their Eisenhower Expressway "the Ike".  Does anybody around Harrisburg apply the same to the 83/283/322 mixing bowl?
I lived in Harrisburg for a few years and never heard anyone refer to that interchange as "the Ike" . Very rarely, I'd hear people mention "the Eisenhower Interchange" . But much more frequently, people would just reference the route numbers–such as "I was at the exit for 283 when I saw..."

PennDOT literature in the 1970s commonly referred to it as the Eisenhower Interchange, and one of the annual state highway maps had a low altitude oblique aerial photo of it.
I think they still refer to it that way when discussing the upcoming rebuild, but concur that it's not used in common parlance.

CentralPAGal

Quote from: briantroutman on June 13, 2019, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: ixnay on June 13, 2019, 06:10:30 PM
Chicagolanders call their Eisenhower Expressway "the Ike".  Does anybody around Harrisburg apply the same to the 83/283/322 mixing bowl?

ixnay

I lived in Harrisburg for a few years and never heard anyone refer to that interchange as "the Ike" . Very rarely, I'd hear people mention "the Eisenhower Interchange" .
I hear the traffic people on the radio refer to it as "The Ike" sometimes. However, more often I just hear "the Eisenhower Interchange."
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

briantroutman

This isn't news, certainly, but I thought this thread would be the most logical place to post. I found this 1956 article about the Keystone Shortway (I-80) in the East Stroudsburg Daily Record, and while I realize that the hand drawn map isn't supposed to be taken literally, per se, I found the absolutely arrow-straight line to be a bit comical.

mrsman

You never know, it may have influenced votes, as people know that a straght route is much faster and more direct.

I recall seeing some documentary that a Russian czar had ordered that the Moscow-St.Petersburg railway be built as straight as possible, even if the need to destroy town and farms along the way.

Bitmapped

Quote from: mrsman on July 12, 2019, 09:56:01 AM
You never know, it may have influenced votes, as people know that a straght route is much faster and more direct.

I recall seeing some documentary that a Russian czar had ordered that the Moscow-St.Petersburg railway be built as straight as possible, even if the need to destroy town and farms along the way.

Trains don't tolerate curves nearly as well as cars do. Curves can result in significant speed reductions and extra wear on the cars and the rail. You want railroads to be as straight as possible.

roadman65

Is PA 611 on I-80 at Ninth Street purposely omitted to avoid confusion with those who wish to go from I-80 E Bound to PA 611 S Bound toward Easton prematurely?  Or is it because the I-80 freeway from that ramp eastward was once US 611, the predecessor to PA 611?  I ask that cause at one time the Park Avenue exit was not even signed for PA 611, but only PA 191.  Also old maps have the freeway when I-80 was US 611 ending at the point where the EB Ninth Street ramp is currently.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Also what is with the END TRUCK US 209 here in Marshall's Creek?

https://goo.gl/maps/H39evUQRSoWBgTNT6

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

For your PA 611 question, I would recomment contacting PennDOT District 5.

Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2019, 09:49:40 PM
Also what is with the END TRUCK US 209 here in Marshall's Creek?

https://goo.gl/maps/H39evUQRSoWBgTNT6

It is for a truck route due to a weight-restricted bridge on US 209 in the area.  It is in Travel Mapping.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on July 17, 2019, 12:16:51 AM
Is PA 611 on I-80 at Ninth Street purposely omitted to avoid confusion with those who wish to go from I-80 E Bound to PA 611 S Bound toward Easton prematurely? 

Ninth St. in Stroudsburg?  You sure you don't mean 7th St.?  Ninth St. doesn't connect with I-80.  Seventh St. does.

ixnay

roadman65

Quote from: ixnay on July 24, 2019, 08:53:53 AM
Is PA 611 on I-80 at Ninth Street purposely omitted to avoid confusion with those who wish to go from I-80 E Bound to PA 611 S Bound toward Easton prematurely? 

Ninth St. in Stroudsburg?  You sure you don't mean 7th St.?  Ninth St. doesn't connect with I-80.  Seventh St. does.

ixnay
Both do. Going EN the first and third exits are for PA 611 and yes it does connect to Ninth by slip ramp.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2019, 11:10:52 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 24, 2019, 08:53:53 AM

ixnay
Both do. Going EN the first and third exits are for PA 611 and yes it does connect to Ninth by slip ramp.

Do you mean exit 303 which dumps you into that commercial strip dominated by the Stroud Mall?  Having very rarely gone through the Stroudsburgs except via I-80 as opposed to 611 or Business 209, I only know 9th St. as 611 (thanks to maps).  You folks had me looking at 9th St. where it terminates at Ann St., 2 blocks (if you count Mill Alley as a block) south of where 611 abandons 9th St. at Main St. closer to downtown Stroudsburg.

ixnay

roadman65

What is up now on the NE Extension with the redundant ramps to PA 31 at Kulpsville?  I know Exit 31A is for EZPass while Exit 31B is for Cash Tolls, however, the layout of the Exit 31 toll plaza is three EZPass Lanes on the right side (where NB traffic merges into the Exit 31 road) so really there is no weaving to get to the EZPass lanes and because the Cash Lanes are in the center, NB traffic paying cash has to weave against SB traffic looking to use the right side EZPass lanes.
https://goo.gl/maps/tXdxVNeps7jJFmVg7

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
What is up now on the NE Extension with the redundant ramps to PA 63 at Kulpsville?  I know Exit 31A is for EZPass while Exit 31B is for Cash Tolls, however, the layout of the Exit 31 toll plaza is three EZPass Lanes on the right side (where NB traffic merges into the Exit 31 road) so really there is no weaving to get to the EZPass lanes and because the Cash Lanes are in the center, NB traffic paying cash has to weave against SB traffic looking to use the right side EZPass lanes.

FTFY.   I guess that EZPASS gets priority from what you are saying.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

The cash lanes should be on the right and all EZPass on the left so the NB traffic don't have to weave.  Simple fix.  The SB are only using those EZPass lanes and should be in perfect reach of them.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
What is up now on the NE Extension with the redundant ramps to PA 31 at Kulpsville?  I know Exit 31A is for EZPass while Exit 31B is for Cash Tolls, however, the layout of the Exit 31 toll plaza is three EZPass Lanes on the right side (where NB traffic merges into the Exit 31 road) so really there is no weaving to get to the EZPass lanes and because the Cash Lanes are in the center, NB traffic paying cash has to weave against SB traffic looking to use the right side EZPass lanes.

I've picked up freight from that area, that exit is designed for truck traffic, hence the redundant ramps. The southbound ezpass only ramp cannot be used by a truck turning right into it. too sharp of a turn. And the lane layout...probably due to some rule.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

noelbotevera

Went up to Harrisburg yesterday, so I'll take the opportunity to list more gripes than observations (I know the area fairly well).

-Really wish the York Split was redesigned. It shouldn't be a trumpet interchange, and I-83 NB could move better through the interchange. While there has been some attempts at reconstruction and smoothing out I-83 NB on the West Shore (like removing exit 42), I think the Lemoyne exits should go. People who want to access the West Shore could use either PA 581 exit 5 or I-83 exit 40B, and convert exit 40B into a full interchange w/C-D lanes (to prevent conflict with PA 581). People who want to access the south end of Harrisburg (i.e. Market Street Bridge folks) could use I-83 exits 43-44.

-Also wish PA 581/US 15 was redesigned. I think US 15 NB -> PA 581 WB needs 2 lanes and no traffic light; perhaps a flyover (expensive, I know) could work better.

-I-81 should have 6 lanes between Carlisle and Harrisburg. Up to I-78 would be nice, but that section would be a great start.

-I think PA 581 should be signed as TO US 15 South and I-81 signed as TO US 15 North for through traffic purposes. Alternatively, US 22/322 could be signed as TO US 15 North, as 22/322 is a freeway compared to 11/15's 2 lanes.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

billpa

If you get to 83 in Lower Paxton Township, above the Union Deposit Road exit, you'll see the supports for the new lanes being built in the ongoing widening project on both sides of the highway. Also take note of the digital speed limit signs in the construction zone.

SM-T230NU

CentralPAGal

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 01, 2019, 03:38:58 PM
-Really wish the York Split was redesigned. It shouldn't be a trumpet interchange, and I-83 NB could move better through the interchange. While there has been some attempts at reconstruction and smoothing out I-83 NB on the West Shore (like removing exit 42), I think the Lemoyne exits should go. People who want to access the West Shore could use either PA 581 exit 5 or I-83 exit 40B, and convert exit 40B into a full interchange w/C-D lanes (to prevent conflict with PA 581). People who want to access the south end of Harrisburg (i.e. Market Street Bridge folks) could use I-83 exits 43-44.
The modifications that PennDot did a few years ago were just a stop-gap, although I think they could have done a little better, even for what it is. I believe the intention is to revisit this area after East Shore Section 3 is completed. Here is an outline of PennDot's Harrisburg area I-83 strategy:http://www.i-83beltway.com/

-Also wish PA 581/US 15 was redesigned. I think US 15 NB -> PA 581 WB needs 2 lanes and no traffic light; perhaps a flyover (expensive, I know) could work better.
Yeah, I don't know what the engineers were smoking when they designed that, but they're repeating the mistake at the I-283/PA 283 interchange. I agree on a flyover being ideal, but I could see space constraints being an issue. I could even deal with the 581w to 15s loop, if there was a way to get rid of the red-light and cross-traffic. Someone on here posted an interesting concept in the redesigned interchanges thread in the fictional forum, some years ago. Anyway, I don't think PennDot has plans to revisit this, unfortunately (that left turn really backs up the left lane on 15n

-I-81 should have 6 lanes between Carlisle and Harrisburg. Up to I-78 would be nice, but that section would be a great start.
preaching to the choir. Penndot is supposed to do a new widening study as an update to the 2003 study.

Quote from: billpa on September 01, 2019, 05:01:32 PM
If you get to 83 in Lower Paxton Township, above the Union Deposit Road exit, you'll see the supports for the new lanes being built in the ongoing widening project on both sides of the highway. Also take note of the digital speed limit signs in the construction zone.
Saw that yesterday coming back from the east mall. Really looking forward to seeing some tangible results from this project. While I don't get through there often, I'm looking forward to seeing the bridges completed and some more grading done. particularly under the new overpasses, and the small bit south of the Union Deposit interchange that is supposed to be widened with this project.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

VTGoose

"...a bunch of orange shirts standing around.

Cleveland Browns are the Penn-DOT of the NFL."

Pittsburgh Dad https://youtu.be/LuePmqOIA2I
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

goobnav

Quote from: VTGoose on September 05, 2019, 04:49:31 PM

There's an understatement, :)!!
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

roadman65

I noticed that the district that handles Monroe County does not sign I-80 like other interstates when it comes to mileage signs.  I see east of PA 115 both Stroudsburg at 24 miles out and the Delaware Water Gap is 5 miles further.  Even west of I-380 the mileage sign has always said mileages for Hazleton and Bloomsburg.

I-78 since the section from NJ to Kuhnsville opened in 1990, has used the next exit/ control city format which FDOT uses in Florida for freeways.

Now in my own opinion with exits spaced out along I-80 the format used on I-78 would work better or even mix the two.  Like the EB Stroudsburg 24/ Del Water Gap 29 should still be but add I-380 to it over the top of the two.  Ditto for Hazleton/ Bloomsburg with PA 115 as well.

It is so interesting, though, to find inconsistencies in state DOT districts, like even for years PennDOT had it's district in charge of the Philly area insist that metal pole traffic lights be used as the rest of the state did not care whether span wire or mast arms could be used.  Now of course I think PA has phased out most mast arms as I have been seeing them more and more statewide and less span wire installations.  FDOT would have D-4 be different from the rest in mileage signs as well doing the NY and SC thing of posting numbers on the at intersection guides rather than post intersection mileage signs leading away on the highway.

Sheryl Crowe

PAHighways

Quote from: VTGoose on September 05, 2019, 04:49:31 PM

A few other "Pittsburgh Dad" episodes involving roads:

https://youtu.be/_LySIihUT34
https://youtu.be/0Zh-cjOMv2w
https://youtu.be/mYVCp2aBPFI

SM-G965U

Alex

I separated the bulk of Philadelphia area posts (17 pages worth) into a separate thread.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex on September 09, 2019, 09:27:30 AM
I separated the bulk of Philadelphia area posts (17 pages worth) into a separate thread.

:thumbsup:

ixnay
[born and raised in Delaware County]

RevZimmerman

Not the most-detailed local TV news story, but there are some data points about the I-83 construction project around Harrisburg.

2022 start date is mentioned, as well as an anticipated end of project in 10 years. Environmental clearances are expected in Spring 2020.

https://www.abc27.com/news/traffic/penndot-i-83-construction-in-dauphin-county-may-take-10-years

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.