News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Northwest Florida Road News

Started by FLRoads, February 26, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Up to 27 inches of rain fell in the Pensacola area this week. Lots of flooding problems and roads washed out, including a portion of U.S. 90 (Scenic Highway) north of Summit Road. My stepmom emailed me this photo from Johnson Road west of Olive Road (CR 290):

Here is what that stretch of road normally looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.516844,-87.177377,3a,75y,262.75h,73.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPhQcVRmisr3bsi9an7jYZw!2e0

Alex

Portions of Scenic Highway north of I-10 reopen

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation last week reopened all portions of Scenic Highway north of Interstate 10, said Ian Satter, a FDOT spokesman. Previously, portions of the iconic roadway just south of the Olive Road intersection had been closed to traffic because of damages suffered during the April 29-30 flood.

Portions of Scenic Highway south of Interstate 10 near Scenic Highway Circle – where the road collapsed in two places during the flood, creating two giant holes about 30 feet deep – remain closed. But Satter said repairs to the area – a project costing $1.2 million – still are on schedule and that the road will be completely open to motorists by June 30.

Correction, US 90 was closed just north of Olive Road (CR-290), not south.

Alex

Nine Mile's future

QuoteOn Tuesday, the public has a chance to offer input on a project that could improve the way thousands of us travel daily through central Escambia County.

The Florida Department of Transportation is inviting the public to a hearing to discuss the study for widening Nine Mile Road from two to four lanes beginning at U.S. 90/Mobile Highway and continuing to Pine Forest Road, a length of about 5.8 miles, according to a legal notice published last week.

The hearing is 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Plainview Baptist Church, 1101 W. Nine Mile Road. A formal presentation is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.

Quote"Other improvements include access management, changes or the design and construction of medians and median openings, and stormwater treatment ponds," the notice said.

DeaconG

Quote from: Alex on June 23, 2014, 10:43:49 AM
Nine Mile's future

QuoteOn Tuesday, the public has a chance to offer input on a project that could improve the way thousands of us travel daily through central Escambia County.

The Florida Department of Transportation is inviting the public to a hearing to discuss the study for widening Nine Mile Road from two to four lanes beginning at U.S. 90/Mobile Highway and continuing to Pine Forest Road, a length of about 5.8 miles, according to a legal notice published last week.

The hearing is 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Plainview Baptist Church, 1101 W. Nine Mile Road. A formal presentation is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.

Quote"Other improvements include access management, changes or the design and construction of medians and median openings, and stormwater treatment ponds," the notice said.

That widening is way, way overdue!  I was up there in late 2010 and that section of Nine Mile was not happy fun time (my cousins live near there so I used it quite a bit).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

FLRoads

Potential choke point for U.S. 331 in Walton County

QuoteA hospital"˜s objection to expansion plans for U.S. Highway 331 threatens to clog Walton County"˜s major north/south artery for the foreseeable future.

Healthmark Regional Medical Center, two miles south of Interstate 10 between DeFuniak Springs and Freeport, has rejected the Florida Department of Transportation"˜s plan to pave over a large chunk of its front yard in widening U.S. 331.

QuoteTommy Barfield, secretary of the transportation agency"˜s District 3, notified Walton County Commissioners Tuesday that FDOT had decided to forego four-laning about a mile of Hwy. 331 for "at least a couple years."

It has cancelled its design and build contract with Anderson Columbia for that portion of roadway while engineers work to "redesign"  plans for widening it in front of the hospital.

QuoteThe widening of the stretch of U.S. 331 from Edgewood Circle to I-10 is the last of three phases of the project to get underway. That phase was supposed to be completed in 2016.

Widening work in front of Healthmark Regional Medical Center will be held up until the redesign is completed.

That means for at least some period of time drivers traveling an otherwise four-lane U.S. 331 will be forced to transition to a two-lane highway at that section of the road.

D-Dey65

Quote from: flaroads on July 27, 2014, 09:50:37 AM
Potential choke point for U.S. 331 in Walton County

QuoteA hospital"˜s objection to expansion plans for U.S. Highway 331 threatens to clog Walton County"˜s major north/south artery for the foreseeable future.

Healthmark Regional Medical Center, two miles south of Interstate 10 between DeFuniak Springs and Freeport, has rejected the Florida Department of Transportation"˜s plan to pave over a large chunk of its front yard in widening U.S. 331.

QuoteTommy Barfield, secretary of the transportation agency"˜s District 3, notified Walton County Commissioners Tuesday that FDOT had decided to forego four-laning about a mile of Hwy. 331 for "at least a couple years."

It has cancelled its design and build contract with Anderson Columbia for that portion of roadway while engineers work to "redesign"  plans for widening it in front of the hospital.

QuoteThe widening of the stretch of U.S. 331 from Edgewood Circle to I-10 is the last of three phases of the project to get underway. That phase was supposed to be completed in 2016.

Widening work in front of Healthmark Regional Medical Center will be held up until the redesign is completed.

That means for at least some period of time drivers traveling an otherwise four-lane U.S. 331 will be forced to transition to a two-lane highway at that section of the road.

In principal, the widening seems like a good idea. But why do they want to abandon the existing road and shift both new lanes on one side?

FLRoads

It's only going to be like that in the area in front of the hospital disputing the widening. My guess is that FDOT will want to try and keep the roadway/median width as consistent as possible and the best way to do that while making a compromise with the hospital is to acquire right-of-way west of the existing lanes and shift the new lanes in that direction, keeping it well enough away from the entrance and building.

IMO, the developers of that hospital should have known that the highway would eventually be widened when they designed and built it. That was a fallacy on their part.

Alex

That was resolved quickly...

Hospital drops objection to widening 331

QuoteA second plan was drawn up that would move the roadway about 180 feet further west of the facility's emergency room entrance.Hospital board chairman Clayton Adkinson attended a recent meeting where the compromise was discussed, and told District 3 FDOT Secretary Tommy Barfield Healthmark would drop its objections to a right of way acquisition.

adventurernumber1

Ah. When I went on vacation to Destin, FL, this past July I saw them working on widening US 331. Wonder when that'll get finished up. Here's a video a took of US 331 and the construction begins about when the video ends.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ964tEREfk

Should've kept the camera rolling longer but I had taken a bunch of road videos on the trip and my phone was nearly maxed out on storage. It's a shame I couldn't really get all the construction.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alex

Nine Mile Road widening scheduled

QuoteA stretch of Nine Mile Road from Beulah Road to U.S. Highway 29 has been moved near the top of the Florida Department of Transportation's to-do list, and the nearly $42 million project could begin by the end of 2015.

The agency said in a prepared statement that about 10 miles of the road will be widened, including a section between Pine Forest Road and Highway 29.

Alex

Plans underway for Mid-Bay Bridge Connector to continue to airport

QuoteThe next phase of the project would add about an additional four miles to continue the connector across State Road 85 to near the Northwest Florida Regional Airport. The road would be built through Eglin Air Force Base property.

QuoteIn a letter to the authority late last month, Brig. Gen. David Harris, Eglin's commander, said base officials found two areas of concern with the latest proposal.

The plan would extend the connector to a portion of State Road 85 near the airport that would interfere with Eglin's north gate, which is reserved primarily for commercial traffic in and out of the base, Harris said. The route would also pass through a section of the Eglin range slated for construction of solar panels to provide some power to the base.

Harris said the authority should continue to work with his engineering staff to address the issues and make necessary alterations to the plan.

Alex

Garcon Point Bridge toll could go to $5

QuoteTrustees of the bank holding bonds for the Garcon Point Bridge in a letter sent Nov. 6 are recommending that the cash toll of the Garcon Point Bridge be raised to $5 each way.

The current toll is $3.75.

An analysis included with the letter to the bridge authority said the bridge generated $4.9 million in revenue in Fiscal Year 2013; expected to raise $5.4 million this year; and could generate as much as $6.7 million in Fiscal Year 2015.

Alex

Locals, officials fight Garcon Point Bridge toll hike

QuoteThe one-way toll for the privately owned Garcon Point Bridge could increase from $3.75 to $5 this month if bondholders of the bridge get their way, but local legislators and residents are working to stop the toll hike on the $130 million defaulted bridge.

QuoteThe Nov. 6 letter sent from the trustee, the Bank of New York Mellon, requests that the authority increase the SunPass transaction rate from $3.75 to $4, increase the cash transaction from $3.75 to $5 and reduce the SunPass discount for heavy users from 50 percent to 25 percent.

In road enthusiast related news, Florida 281 now has at least one shield with a Yellow Toll Banner:

FLRoads

Traffic planners to study new I-10 exit

QuoteThe state Department of Transportation has allocated $1 million to study the construction of an additional exit at P.J. Adams Parkway. The study is slated for 2017 as part of the state's five-year work plan.

QuoteThe DOT's study will analyze everything from construction alternatives and crash records to traffic counts and census data.

The same article also mentions that FDOT have shelved its plans for a pedestrian overpass in Navarre along U.S. 98 between Presidio and Luneta Streets.

Quote"We're going to try to look at other ways to improve pedestrian safety there,"  DOT Spokesman Ian Satter said.

NE2

PJ Adams is the southwestern bypass of Crestview, for the record, and partly carries CR 4. It seems the primary benefit for non-local traffic would be for access to SR 4, since the bypass hits SR 85 just south of I-10.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

The only way they would be able to build an interchange at that location is to either build a tight-ass diamond or a SPUI. All four quadrants are already filled with homes and an apartment complex. Either that or build an interchange in an entirely new area and do a realignment of PJ Adams.

And having lived in that part of Florida, PJ Adams really isn't a true bypass, as all it serves is the sprawl to the south and west of Crestview. Otherwise it has no real purpose other than as NE2 mentioned to get to SR 4 from SR 85.

Alex

Avalon [FL 281] construction should wrap up in summer

QuoteFDOT is currently in the fourth and final phase of the project, which should be completed by May, said FDOT Spokesman Ian Satter. FDOT had previously anticipated completion in winter 2014.

Construction began in August 2009 on the approximately five-mile stretch of Avalon Boulevard from Interstate 10 to U.S. 90, Satter said, with the final stretch running from the interstate to just south of the Moors Golf Club.

QuoteSeveral unforeseen issues were encountered during construction that caused delays for the project, Satter said, including roadway redesigns due to unsuitable soil, necessary drainage additions and conflicts with overhead power lines.

Satter said subsoil testing is always performed before FDOT road projects begin, but sometimes the soil turns out to be different than expected when construction is underway, which was the case on sections of Avalon Boulevard.

QuoteThe Avalon Boulevard project included widening the road from two to four lanes, adding bicycle lanes and sidewalks and building a service road from Cactus Drive to Admirals Road, Satter said.

Avalanchez71

Why are there so many 7XX state roads out that way?

NE2

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 15, 2015, 10:46:50 PM
Why are there so many 7XX state roads out that way?
Because they ran out of numbers.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

What about using A/B/C like they used to do?

NE2

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 15, 2015, 11:06:37 PM
What about using A/B/C like they used to do?
It was in that era that they ran out. Sure, they could have made 298Q, but 727 was easier.

Alex

City upgrading traffic signals on Garden St.

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation is replacing traffic signals that are hanging on wires at the intersections of Garden and E streets, Garden Street and Pace Boulevard and Ninth Avenue and College Boulevard with signals that are mounted on metal masts. Camera systems to control the timing on the signals and push-button LED pedestrian signals also are being installed at those intersections.

Alex

I-10 work near Scenic starts next week

QuoteInterstate 10 near the Scenic Highway overpass in Escambia County will encounter vehicle pacing operations from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday, through Feb. 27 and March 2 through March 4 as crews perform deck work for the new Scenic Highway overpass.

Vehicle pacing operations, also known as a rolling roadblock, are formed by creating a gap between traffic and the work area so that short-duration construction activities can be performed. Drivers should anticipate travel delays during this time.

Alex

Hurlburt overpass taking shape

QuoteConstruction of the flyover at Cody Avenue and U.S. Highway 98 is scheduled to be completed by August, Air Force and state Department of Transportation officials said Friday.

Work crews have set the final two of 11 precast concrete beams that will support the elevated lanes of U.S. 98.

QuoteThe $13.9 million project — which started in February 2013 — is expected to ease traffic woes on U.S. 98 where major delays are commonplace.

The two new eastbound dual left turn lanes at the main Hurlburt Field entrance will be longer and remove more vehicles from the overall flow. FDOT officials predict faster morning commute times for the nearly 50,000 motorists traveling through the intersection each day.

FLRoads

FDOT invites public to sound off on Brooks Bridge

QuoteA decision on whether the state will move forward with an alternate bridge across Santa Rosa Sound could come as early as December 2016.

QuoteThe update — provided by Steve Schnell of the engineering firm HDR, which has offices in Niceville — touched on both the alternate crossing study and the Brooks Bridge replacement study.

QuoteThe goal of the alternate span study is to give FDOT enough information to decide whether it should move into the planning, engineering and design phase, he added.

The Brooks Bridge replacement study is expected to take twice as long, wrapping up by the summer of 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.