Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

That City Route 71 replica is really cool. They were actually yellow like that?

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 23, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
That City Route 71 replica is really cool. They were actually yellow like that?

Yes. Missouri used those for a while
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2017, 09:08:12 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 01:35:26 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2017, 11:06:42 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 22, 2017, 10:52:42 PM
What we should all start doing is hassling the DOTs to start offering there decommissioned signs up! Haha :-D :awesomeface:

I would love to collect some old retro AR state signage the ones where the state cut-out was outlined.

They're not cheap unless you get lucky.

Just signage in general or that particular selection? Yes, I would assume the market has a price for every era of signage, but as far as selection goes how does the pricing differ? US 71, what kind of collection do you have going? Any new additions?

Modern signage $50-60, sometimes higher,
not counting shipping (usually $15-20)

cut-outs , a couple hundred dollars and up.

this most of my collection , but I have a few I've not yet posted.

Looking good US 71! I noticed you had a AR State Road sign within that pictured collection, that is the type of signage I would like to find. More along the state cut-out of both the US Routes or State Roads.

Anyone here adding to or starting a 50 States Sign Collection? How is that going? Have you found it easier to buy other state's signage than the one you're from?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 11:44:35 AM

Looking good US 71! I noticed you had a AR State Road sign within that pictured collection, that is the type of signage I would like to find. More along the state cut-out of both the US Routes or State Roads.

Arkansas stuff is generally hard to find, but I have an e-bay search that notifies me of most stuff.   I saw a modern AR 303 at Sarcoxie, MO a couple months ago for around $45. There's a place near Mammoth Springs with old signs, if you can catch him in. Also some random stuff near Greenbrier. Patience & lots of searching are the keys. If the price is right, I may get something to use as trade later.

Also talk to Agentsteel. He's also has a good source for replicas.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2017, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 11:44:35 AM

Arkansas stuff is generally hard to find, but I have an e-bay search that notifies me of most stuff.   I saw a modern AR 303 at Sarcoxie, MO a couple months ago for around $45. There's a place near Mammoth Springs with old signs, if you can catch him in. Also some random stuff near Greenbrier. Patience & lots of searching are the keys. If the price is right, I may get something to use as trade later.

Also talk to Agentsteel. He's also has a good source for replicas.

In this market, how do you know if something is 'to good to be true'? What kind of pricing would I be in search of and what pricing is a red flag indicator?

cjk374

What we should all start doing is hassling the DOTs to start offering there decommissioned signs up! Haha :-D :awesomeface:

I would love to collect some old retro AR state signage the ones where the state cut-out was outlined.

I bought this in an antique shop in Minden, LA. The banner was $15 and the shield is $30.

https://flic.kr/p/MQHwWw
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on April 23, 2017, 01:16:44 PM

I bought this in an antique shop in Minden, LA. The banner was $15 and the shield is $30.

https://flic.kr/p/MQHwWw

Dirt cheap!

MNHighwayMan

:wow: Nice find, especially for that price.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I wonder if AHTD would give away a sign if you walked up to the workers. Are there any policies in regards to "No questions asked, just chunking them"?

*What if there was a Blackmarket for signs? Hehe  :hmmm:

MNHighwayMan

I've always wanted to do that to find out, but I've never had the fortune of coming across a crew in the process of replacing signs.

Closest I've gotten was some replaced signs I received as a gift from my grandfather who worked for the Stearns County Highway Dept. Unfortunately (for me, anyway :-D) he retired a little over ten years ago.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
I wonder if AHTD would give away a sign if you walked up to the workers. Are there any policies in regards to "No questions asked, just chunking them"?

I've tried that, but it doesn't work... or never has when I've tried. I need to develop a network.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2017, 09:33:21 PM

I've tried that, but it doesn't work... or never has when I've tried. I need to develop a network.

It worked with me. I got this beauty a few months ago from some kind gentlemen changing an assembly out here in my hometown.

https://flic.kr/p/MfoMTA

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on April 23, 2017, 11:18:23 PM

It worked with me. I got this beauty a few months ago from some kind gentlemen changing an assembly out here in my hometown.

Any sort of circumstances surrounding the transaction or no?

MNHighwayMan

It probably depends on the crew. Some might be more willing to part with what is otherwise scrap than others. Offering money for the scrap probably helps, too, if that's an option. (Though I'd definitely consider it an option of last resort.)

cjk374

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 11:33:32 PM

No circumstances. They said they couldn't give it to me directly, so they said they would "accidentally" leave it behind. I came back about 30 minutes Later and "found it". It came home with me.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on April 24, 2017, 04:05:49 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 23, 2017, 11:33:32 PM

No circumstances. They said they couldn't give it to me directly, so they said they would "accidentally" leave it behind. I came back about 30 minutes Later and "found it". It came home with me.

That must've been nice! I wouldn't know where I would start my sign collection, if I started it.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 24, 2017, 04:09:38 PM

That must've been nice! I wouldn't know where I would start my sign collection, if I started it.

Whatever catches your interest and you can afford? That's how most of us start.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2017, 08:15:49 PM

Mine started with an uncle who gave me a speed limit 25 sign when I was a wee lad. I have no idea where it went or what happened to it though. After that I just wanted it all. Then I got married. She keeps me from spending my life's fortune on signs.  :-D

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on April 24, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

Mine started with an uncle who gave me a speed limit 25 sign when I was a wee lad. I have no idea where it went or what happened to it though. After that I just wanted it all. Then I got married. She keeps me from spending my life's fortune on signs.  :-D

Maybe it was a sign!  :-D

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 24, 2017, 09:48:52 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 24, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

Maybe it was a sign!  :-D

Max Rockatansky

Fresh delivery today:

IMG_6439 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Given this Arroyo Seco Parkway I'm kind of conflicted where I want to hang this one.  Either it goes with my US 66 stuff or it goes with the rest of the California Spades...I'll think it over and decide tomorrow.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up some of my frequently traveled routes with CA 63 and CA 65 as a package deal:

IMG_9649 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_9648 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The CA 63 wasn't ever mounted since the bolt holes aren't punched through.  I've picked up a couple defective vinyl spades over the years, I'll have to look into why it wasn't used.

MNHighwayMan

I've been posting pictures of new signs I've gotten, but not some of the ones I've had for a long time. So, here's probably the most unique sign in my collection, a marker for an Indian route on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota. The most interesting bit is that the sign has had the word "Indian" replaced with the name of the reservation instead.

Lancaster6

I scored a nice sized I-5 shield off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I'm very excited to add this one to the collection.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Lancaster6 on June 01, 2017, 07:24:52 PM
I scored a nice sized I-5 shield off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I'm very excited to add this one to the collection.

Ended up getting one of my own out of Oregon with a 405 package deal from a scraper:

IMG_5184 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5183 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Usually the California signs are easy to spot with the "property of the state of California" on the bottom.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.