News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nicknames for roads?

Started by woodpusher, June 25, 2014, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodpusher

The NY State Thruway north of Albany is called "Northway." 
Shouldn't the part west (from Ripley to Albany) be called "Westway?"
Then of course Albany to NYC should be "Southway," and that tiny piece to Massachusetts should be "Eastway."

hotdogPi

"Eastway" already has a name: Berkshire Connector.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

spooky

The road north of Albany is not part of the Thruway, it's just the Northway. Your "westway" and "southway" segments are the Thruway. Your eastway segment is the Berkshire Connector, as 1 already pointed out.

1995hoo

In the same vein, NY-17 from the Thruway to Binghamton was once known as the "Quickway," although I'm not sure how well-known that name is these days.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: woodpusher on June 25, 2014, 10:49:28 PMThe NY State Thruway north of Albany is called "Northway."

As spooky stated, I-87 north of Albany is not part of the Thruway, and "Adirondack Northway" is actually its official name.

Kacie Jane

Also, Westway is taken. Or would have been if they had built the full freeway replacement for the West Side Highway in Manhattan.

Mapmikey

I-80 in Pennsylvania is the Keystone Shortway.

At least one junction still posts that as a banner.  This is US 322 WB at I-80 near Brookville.  Sign was still there in May 2014.

http://goo.gl/maps/LMRJA

Mapmikey

jp the roadgeek

On LI, the official names are the Northern and Southern Parkways, but most people call them the Northern State and Southern State. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pete from Boston

Henry

I used to think that the Chicago area had cool nicknames for its roads and junctions, like the Rapid Fire Ramps and the Circle Interchange.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brian556

In North Texas:

In Flower Mound, in the old days, before FM 2499 was re-routed to bypass Grapevine Dam, it was referred to as "the dam road".
(Technically, the old route of FM 2499 ended at the county line, just north of the dam, but the road continued south across the dam as a non-state roadway.)

North of Denton, FM 2164 is commonly referred to as "Missile Base Road" due to the abandoned underground missile silo on it. The only official name it has is N Locust St.

In Dallas, I've heard I-635 (Lyndon B Johnson Frwy) (LBJ) referred to as "hellBJ due to congestion.

ski-man

I-610 in Houston is known as "The Loop"

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 26, 2014, 10:20:21 AM
On LI, the official names are the Northern and Southern Parkways, but most people call them the Northern State and Southern State. 
I always thought it was the reverse, especially since the Saw Mill River State Parkway is signed as just the Saw Mill Parkway to save space.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

People in Tampa, FL always call Dale Mabry Highway as just "Dale Mabry."  Yes I know its common to leave off the descriptor in usage of road names, but I do not think that Tampa area residents are even aware of its descriptor.  Heck even FDOT has I-275 signed as Dale Mabry and no highway or "Hwy" as its often abbreviated on road signs. 

In Orlando we call Orange Blossom Trail OBT.  We call FL 528 the Beachline, although it is its official name signed into law by Jeb Bush is that,  but not many signs post the name, however very commonly used in traffic reports.

In New Jersey the Garden State Parkway is simply known as "The Parkway."

The Long Island Expressway, as pointed out before several times on this forum, is known as the LIE.

The Brooklyn- Queens Expressway is known as the BQE.

In Missouri, the I-435, US 71, I-49, & I-470 interchange is called the Triangle.  Actually the Grandview Triangle to be exact as Triangle is a nickname of that.  A nickname of a nickname so to speak.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

I-71 in Columbus is officially the South Freeway up to mile 106, and then the North Freeway beginning at mile 109.  I propose it should be nicknamed the South Smellway (for the SWACO landfill at mile 96 and the sewage bioprocessing facility at mile 104*) and the North Smellway (for the Kroger Columbus Bakery at mile 109 and the Budweiser brewery at mile 120) respectively.  Of course the North Smellway smells better than the South Smellway.

*The crossroad at mile 104 is Frank Rd, which has already acquired a reputation for the foul smell, and the nickname Rank Rd.  That one's not just in my head.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

It is so funny you should mention those kind of nicknames as the Beachline in Florida was nicknamed that before it was changed legislatively!

I remember in the 1980's the Helix at the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken, NJ was nicknamed "The Screw" on the CB Radio.  Interestingly enough, the NJ Turnpike was nicknamed "The Green Stamp" also by CB Radio users because of its shield design.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Heh. All my relatives in Florida, including several in the Viera/Melbourne area, refer to FL-528 by its old name, the Bee Line. I do as well. Quite descriptive given what a straightaway much of that road is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

OK 51 in Tulsa, aka the Broken Arrow Expressway, is known as "the BA". 

The loop around downtown Tulsa (I-244/444) is officially known as the Inner Dispersal Loop but is locally referred to as "the IDL".

JoePCool14

Every expressway and tollroad in the Chicago area.

iPhone

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadrunner75

The Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) in Philadelphia is known by many locals as the "Surekill Expressway" as in "you're sure to be killed".

In Reading, PA, the US 222 freeway bypass had a gap for years that resulted in a long completed portion on the western side abruptly terminating into a local road.  Before the gap was completed and the US 222 designation officially moved to the bypass it was known throughout the area as the "Road to Nowhere".

In NJ, Route 42 between the I-76/295 interchange and the Atlantic City Expressway is the "North-South Freeway".

ElPanaChevere

It most likely has to do with the fact that I-87 from Albany to New York City is part of the NYS Thruway. Once in Albany, it merges with I-90 for a few miles, and then I-90 just takes over the NYS Thruway, exit numbering and mileage. I'm sure it's a matter of continuity. My hunch is that since it's called the Adirondack Northway, it was given that name since it provides access to places up in far Upstate New York, and to Montréal, (the way to the north(ern) part of New York and Canada) and it traverses the Adirondack Park.
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

roadman65

I remember when the FL 520 was called the Surfer Highway as all the surfers use to use it to Cocoa Beach.

As far as the Beeline, not too many were happy with that change as it was the tourism board in Brevard County and Deano O' Neal on Z Radio 88 who loves that name as when he gives out the traffic report he always gives a big smile when he says the name while that being the only Orlando Toll Road he calls by name as every other is either the 429 or 408 that were instrumental in getting that Beachline name signed into law by Jeb Bush.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

A local TV station in Cleveland has taken to calling the West Shoreway the "Captain America Shoreway" after scenes for the recent movie were filmed on that stretch (closing it for 2 weeks).  The name may not stick but who knows.

Zeffy

US 1 within Trenton is known as the Trenton freeway. Technically speaking, that is the only freeway that enters the city limits of Trenton as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on June 30, 2014, 03:41:35 PM
US 1 within Trenton is known as the Trenton freeway. Technically speaking, that is the only freeway that enters the city limits of Trenton as well.
Route 29 never gets any respect...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.