News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkchylde

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2012, 11:24:41 PM
Apparently I was living life on the dangerous side today.  I pulled over to get this pic (on my phone camera):

Is there a sign nearby saying "Slippery When Wet?"

ctsignguy

Quote from: Darkchylde on September 06, 2012, 02:05:51 PM
Apparently I was living life on the dangerous side today.  I pulled over to get this pic (on my phone camera):

Not that i can recall.....but i think nearby there is a sign warning about ice that appears in the cold months.....take that as you will....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Duke87

Hmm... how easy would it have been to remove the y?

Nah, Madison is better without artificial enhancements.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on September 06, 2012, 08:31:55 PM
Hmm... how easy would it have been to remove the y?

Nah, Madison is better without artificial enhancements.

you'd have to move the C over to get anyone to parse the joke at freeway speed...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

southshore720

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 11, 2010, 11:37:04 PM
These signs have certainly seen better days...

Random question, why are older Rhode Island BGSs tilted upwards?

All of these damaged signs in Rhode Island were replaced in the I-95 sign replacement project between 2010-2011.

Mr. Matté

Who else but Quagmire?!

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2012, 06:05:26 PM
Saw the following this afternoon on southbound I-395 in Virginia. After looking at the picture I find myself thinking it was done intentionally because of the way the lighting equipment appears to be so cleanly removed. I don't remember hearing anything on the news about it, but perhaps they were moving a large load recently given that there's still a lot of roadwork on the Beltway in both directions not far from that interchange.

I posted the above on August 3. As of Wednesday morning (September 5), it still hadn't been fixed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

national highway 1

^That 'SOUTH, I-95' and 'VA 644' shield don't appear to be centered right. Is that space meant to be for a third shield?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

1995hoo

Quote from: national highway 1 on September 10, 2012, 01:52:25 AM
^That 'SOUTH, I-95 and VA 644 shield don't appear to be centered right. Is that space meant to be for a third shield?

All those signs at that interchange are like that and the answer is I assume so, but I don't know. Just to the south of the 644 interchange (and I really mean JUST to the south) there is an HOV-only interchange with VA-289 (formerly 7900), the Franconia—Springfield Parkway. A few years ago there was talk of making that into a full interchange, so perhaps the green space has a 7900 marker (I've noted the blank spaces appear to have a greenout panel over them). I always thought it seemed highly unlikely they'd ever do that due to (a) severe design challenges due to the proximity of the existing 644 interchange to the north (weave areas being deemed unacceptable because the recent eight-year-long reconstruction of that whole area was designed to eliminate them) and (b) cost of eminent domain proceedings if they wanted to do it right because they'd have to buy and condemn some private property to have sufficient space for C/D roadways.

The guy who used to represent the area where I live on the county Board of Supervisors told me the plan for that interchange is dead, if indeed it was ever truly alive in the first place. I assume the highway signs were designed and made with the possibility in mind, though, since they've been up since sometime in the middle of the last decade.

Here's a Google Maps satellite view so you can see the area. I-95 is the very wide road running north-south through the middle of the image. DC is out of the image off the top. The sign in my previous post is on the southbound carriageway, also out of the image to the north off the top. The tangle of ramps at the top is the I-95/I-395/I-495 interchange (the Beltway, which runs across the picture). The next tangle of ramps south of there is the Route 644 interchange (plus access ramps into and out of the center HOV reversible roadway) and then the large white overpass all the way at the bottom is the Franconia—Springfield Parkway, the road lacking a full interchange. You can see what I mean about it being a very tight space as well as very closely-spaced interchanges.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 10, 2012, 09:27:50 AM
The guy who used to represent the area where I live on the county Board of Supervisors told me the plan for that interchange is dead, if indeed it was ever truly alive in the first place. I assume the highway signs were designed and made with the possibility in mind, though, since they've been up since sometime in the middle of the last decade.

A full interchange between I-95 and Va. 289 (former 7900) was once planned as part of the Springfield Interchange reconstruction project, but it was deleted from the project as the costs went up, up and away, though I think the preliminary engineering had been done.

Now that the "missing link" of Va. 286 (former 7100) is done through the Fort Belvoir North Area, there's a reasonably easy (if somewhat out-of-the-way) expressway link from I-95 to Va. 289, I don't think a full interchange between I-95 and 289 is going to happen anytime soon.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 10, 2012, 10:37:12 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 10, 2012, 09:27:50 AM

A full interchange between I-95 and Va. 289 (former 7900) was once planned as part of the Springfield Interchange reconstruction project, but it was deleted from the project as the costs went up, up and away, though I think the preliminary engineering had been done.

Now that the "missing link" of Va. 286 (former 7100) is done through the Fort Belvoir North Area, there's a reasonably easy (if somewhat out-of-the-way) expressway link from I-95 to Va. 289, I don't think a full interchange between I-95 and 289 is going to happen anytime soon.

It's unnecessary for another reason: The new direct ramps connecting the HOV carriageway to the Beltway and the impending conversion of the I-95 portion of that HOV carriageway to HO/T lanes. Both of those make access to the Franconia—Springfield Parkway far easier, though to be sure it's not full-time access due to the reversible operations on I-95 there. Still, depending on the time of day, the amount of the toll, and your destination I could certainly see using the HO/T facility to make this connection instead of looping through local streets in Springfield because the latter can be somewhat convoluted depending on where your starting point is (Springfield is very easy to get THROUGH, but it's not easy to get around WITHIN Springfield even if you know exactly where you're going because you have to use indirect routes and stop at a lot of red lights).

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on September 06, 2012, 09:26:17 PMhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZkmN2RrOJxw/TDp4a00WgUI/AAAAAAAAfVM/D4ZwkP9e_MA/s640/IMG_7786.JPG[/img]

Personal guess on my part: those older BGS' (along w/the ones along I-95/MA 128 between Weston (I-90) and Dedham (US 1)) erroneously had the brackets (used for the angling) for the BGS' mounted along the lower member of the gantry/truss instead of the upper member.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 11, 2012, 10:09:00 AM
Quote from: southshore720 on September 06, 2012, 09:26:17 PM

Personal guess on my part: those older BGS' (along w/the ones along I-95/MA 128 between Weston (I-90) and Dedham (US 1)) erroneously had the brackets (used for the angling) for the BGS' mounted along the lower member of the gantry/truss instead of the upper member.
RI signs were tilted upward so that headlights would not reflect back into the drivers' eyes.

Kacie Jane

Shamelessly ripped from Steve's site.  The missing letter here is very nearly as humorous as Madison C unty.

There's a gap in "Gap", get it?  :pan:

Brandon

Quote from: ctsignguy on September 06, 2012, 06:34:42 PM
Quote from: Darkchylde on September 06, 2012, 02:05:51 PM

Not that i can recall.....but i think nearby there is a sign warning about ice that appears in the cold months.....take that as you will....

It'd have to be a bit nipply out for the ice.  OK, I shouldn't be poking people.  :-P
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Spotted this last Wednesday on northbound PA Turnpike 43. It's obviously an advance sign for the I-70 interchange.

We saw that "Madison Cunty" sign later on the same drive. Even though I'd seen the picture here it still made me snigger and my wife was amused too. I hadn't realized we were going to pass that sign, blue tab seen in the picture notwithstanding, and it made me smile to have seen it here.

hbelkins

This is how it looked two years ago:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Northbound I-395 (14th Street Bridge, S.W.) in the District of Columbia:

EDIT:  I think this panel might be a victim of Hurricane Sandy.

Curiously, it looks like an over-height truck might have damaged the lighting below the sign.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Truvelo

I saw this one the other day. I can't remember exactly where it was but it was in northern Indiana.

Speed limits limit life

theline

^ I'm pretty sure that's on the ramp leading from the Indiana Toll Road onto NB US-31 in South Bend. The Brick Rd.-Cleveland Rd. exit is one mile north. I tried to find a Street View picture, but none exists, due to the ramp location.

We got a lot of wind from Sandy, and that's probably the cause.

Truvelo

US-31 would fit as I travelling on US-31 northbound between US-30 at Plymouth to the missing section at I-94/I-196. The sign was on the southbound side meaning it would be near the state line. Google Street View shows a shield at the top which isn't present in my picture.
Speed limits limit life

theline

Found it! The angle of your photo deceived me into thinking that the sign location was on a ramp. It's really on the mainline of US-31. Here's a Street View taken from about the same angle, partially blocked by a semi, when the sign was still standing obviously.

I hope your visit to Hoosierland, Truvelo, was a good one.

Truvelo

Quote from: theline on November 08, 2012, 08:53:13 PM
I hope your visit to Hoosierland, Truvelo, was a good one.

According to local radio stations it was Michiana :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

74/171FAN

Here is a faded VA 36 shield in Hopewell right before it turns left off of Broadway onto N 6th Ave.  I just hope Hopewell never decides to replace this shield with the any of those hideous ones. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.