News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Business loops that are further away than the mainline

Started by usends, January 30, 2015, 03:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

What I mean is: signed business routes that actually take traffic away from the central business district in relation to the mainline route.  Any examples of this?

Waco TX is what prompted this thread.  Today mainline US 77 comes in from the north on I-35, which passes only about a mile to the southeast of the CBD.  It then exits to the 17th/18th couplet, goes down to LaSalle Av, and then passes through Waco's renowned traffic circle on its way out of town.

Meanwhile, Business 77 exits I-35 way on the north side of town, and follows New Dallas Hwy.  Long before reaching the downtown area, this swings around to the east, and crosses the river via LaSalle (rejoining mainline 77 at 17th/18th).  So the closest Business 77 comes to the CBD is about two miles... which is about twice as far as mainline 77.

While an understanding of the history sort of explains how this situation came to be, I don't think it ever made sense to sign this route as "Business 77".  "Alternate 77" seems more appropriate.  Any other examples out there?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Brandon

Business US-20 in Belvidere, Illinois is a bypass of the city with US-20 bypassing the city to the south.  It's debatable which is closer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

usends

Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2015, 03:49:09 PM
Business US-20 in Belvidere, Illinois is a bypass of the city with US-20 bypassing the city to the south.  It's debatable which is closer.
Yeah, I see what you mean.  Looks like today's business route is a bypass of the original mainline, which went right through the CBD via State St. and Logan Av.  But it's probably still legit to call it "Business 20", since it's an extension of the business loop through Rockford.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.