News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Move Over And/Or Slow Down Laws

Started by webny99, November 09, 2019, 07:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 10, 2019, 08:22:45 PM
I did see a cop with his lights on in the shoulder (no other vehicle there), the car ahead of me didn't move over (b/c he couldn't as there was a car in the left lane next to him) and he was pulled over.  I'm guessing b/c he violated the move over law.  He was going the speed limit and did slow down and there was no other vehicle with the cop on the shoulder.

This is what they would term 'conjuncture'.  We've had many threads like this, where we're talking about a subject, someone thinks back to an incident that they observed, and immediately corollate the two.  For something like this, you stated he was going the speed limit and did slow down.  At which point was he going the speed limit?  Could it have been a registration violation, a headlight was burned out, a windshield cracked, or maybe he did something somewhere else and a cop was waiting for him.

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 10, 2019, 03:48:47 PM
https://wmmlegal.com/virginia-strengthens-highway-move-over-law-now-reckless-driving

Virginia recently made the Move Over / Slow Down law a reckless driving offense if violated.

Any other states do this?

IMO, it's absurd to punishable as reckless driving. Seems like a money grab if anything.

I'm from NJ, where we have a very high threshold of what constitutes reckless driving.  You generally need to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol for it to be considered.  In VA, they lump routine traffic violations as reckless driving, which shouldn't be.

Is it a money grab?  Not necessarily.  While the possible fine can be high, and the jail time extensive, and even a possible loss of license, I think the real deterrent is the points on one's license.  Most people will want to steer clear of a 6 point violation.  The potential jail time costs the state money, and even the mandatory court visit costs the state money.  A simple traffic ticket with a generally low fine is usually just paid without a court visit, so that's nearly all profit there.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2019, 07:04:15 PM
What does your state law say about moving over and/or slowing down for stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights?

Personally, I find it quite irksome when people do both - isn't it supposed to be one or the other?

Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2019, 08:46:09 PM
What I do have objection to, is people slowing down to a crawl AND moving over. Doing one of those two things is necessary. Doing both is absolutely not.

You moved the target.  You said nothing about "a crawl" at first.  Of course I'm not in favor of people moving over and slowing down "to a crawl".  But moving over and slowing down a little bit is simply being cautious.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rarnold

If people would drive defensively and stay off the phone that would help immensely, maybe not follow so close. Some things come up out of nowhere, like a deer or animal crossing the road. A vehicle on the shoulder, especially one with emergency lights flashing should not come as a surprise.

Slowing down and moving over is not an inconvenience unless you are a complete dick.

sprjus4

Quote from: rarnold on November 12, 2019, 08:51:18 PM
If people would drive defensively and stay off the phone that would help immensely, maybe not follow so close. Some things come up out of nowhere, like a deer or animal crossing the road. A vehicle on the shoulder, especially one with emergency lights flashing should not come as a surprise.

Slowing down and moving over is not an inconvenience unless you are a complete dick.
Getting into the left lane and then slowing down from 70 mph to 45 mph is in itself being a d*ck.

Napsterbater

Quote from: rarnold on November 12, 2019, 08:51:18 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This 1000x.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 12, 2019, 03:02:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2019, 07:04:15 PM
What does your state law say about moving over and/or slowing down for stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights?
Personally, I find it quite irksome when people do both - isn't it supposed to be one or the other?
Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2019, 08:46:09 PM
What I do have objection to, is people slowing down to a crawl AND moving over. Doing one of those two things is necessary. Doing both is absolutely not.

You moved the target.  You said nothing about "a crawl" at first.  Of course I'm not in favor of people moving over and slowing down "to a crawl".  But moving over and slowing down a little bit is simply being cautious.

As I often do, I started very generally and vague on details, with the intention of getting more specific as warranted.

Of course, slowing down from 65 to 55, or whatever, is fine; encouraged, even. However, I would say anything less than 10 below the speed limit is "crawl" territory. My personal emphasis is on not braking: take the cruise off, sure, let off on the accelerator a little, lose 5-10 mph, switch lanes if at all possible, great. The problems are with abrupt braking / speed changes of 10+ mph, which invites a chain reaction of braking, and ultimately a major slowdown. You can often see flashing lights miles in advance; attentiveness and preparation are key, but so often seem to be lacking!

kphoger

If I see someone with his back to traffic, standing in the vehicle doorway, and I think there's the slightest chance he's getting ready to step backward and close the door–you can bet I'm willing to brake in order to not clip the guy.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on November 12, 2019, 10:03:55 PM
If I see someone with his back to traffic, standing in the vehicle doorway, and I think there's the slightest chance he's getting ready to step backward and close the door–you can bet I'm willing to brake in order to not clip the guy.

I'm also ready with the horn.  He's obviously not doing the first thing someone should do on a roadway - pay attention to traffic, even when on the side of the road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on November 12, 2019, 12:08:30 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 12, 2019, 11:28:48 AM
In Michigan you are suppose to move over and slow down to 5 mph under the speed limit.
Thanks for mansplaining that one for me.  I guess I didn't make myself clear enough in post #12 by stating, "you must do both" and citing state law to back it up.  We need more fine, upstanding citizens like you who are more than willing to help out those who don't need any.

:bigass:

The 'block' function is totally useless.

I really don't care what you've said. You aren't the only member from Michigan in here and you aren't the official spokesperson for the state in here. You seem to enjoy being an ignorant person. Don't like my posts then keep on moving this isn't a place to act the way you do. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you either. This is childish.

vdeane

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 13, 2019, 06:19:09 AM

In Michigan you are suppose to move over and slow down to 5 mph under the speed limit.
Thanks for mansplaining that one for me.  I guess I didn't make myself clear enough in post #12 by stating, "you must do both" and citing state law to back it up.  We need more fine, upstanding citizens like you who are more than willing to help out those who don't need any.

I really don't care what you've said. You aren't the only member from Michigan in here and you aren't the official spokesperson for the state in here. You seem to enjoy being an ignorant person. Don't like my posts then keep on moving this isn't a place to act the way you do. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you either. This is childish.
He did say those things first, so there was no reason for you to say them again except to take credit.  I've had this happen to me a few times, and while I haven't called people out on it, it's really annoying.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on November 13, 2019, 05:52:28 AM

I'm also ready with the horn.  He's obviously not doing the first thing someone should do on a roadway - pay attention to traffic, even when on the side of the road.

Yeah, but people on the side of the road may not be thinking straight. They may have run out of fuel, had an accident, whatever...their mind is likely elsewhere. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and just move over. I like to honk too, but it's not particularly effective when you're coming up on someone at 70+, while they're standing still (or barely moving). Virtually no reaction time on their part.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 12, 2019, 12:29:28 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 10, 2019, 08:22:45 PM
I did see a cop with his lights on in the shoulder (no other vehicle there), the car ahead of me didn't move over (b/c he couldn't as there was a car in the left lane next to him) and he was pulled over.  I'm guessing b/c he violated the move over law.  He was going the speed limit and did slow down and there was no other vehicle with the cop on the shoulder.

This is what they would term 'conjuncture'.  We've had many threads like this, where we're talking about a subject, someone thinks back to an incident that they observed, and immediately corollate the two.  For something like this, you stated he was going the speed limit and did slow down.  At which point was he going the speed limit?  Could it have been a registration violation, a headlight was burned out, a windshield cracked, or maybe he did something somewhere else and a cop was waiting for him.

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 10, 2019, 03:48:47 PM
https://wmmlegal.com/virginia-strengthens-highway-move-over-law-now-reckless-driving

Virginia recently made the Move Over / Slow Down law a reckless driving offense if violated.

Any other states do this?

IMO, it's absurd to punishable as reckless driving. Seems like a money grab if anything.

I'm from NJ, where we have a very high threshold of what constitutes reckless driving.  You generally need to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol for it to be considered.  In VA, they lump routine traffic violations as reckless driving, which shouldn't be.

Is it a money grab?  Not necessarily.  While the possible fine can be high, and the jail time extensive, and even a possible loss of license, I think the real deterrent is the points on one's license.  Most people will want to steer clear of a 6 point violation.  The potential jail time costs the state money, and even the mandatory court visit costs the state money.  A simple traffic ticket with a generally low fine is usually just paid without a court visit, so that's nearly all profit there.
In NJ you have to stop behind an ice cream truck and then proceed past it at no more than 5mph.

webny99

Well, of course, but I would hope your first choice would be to move over, thus avoiding the close proximity.

kphoger

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 13, 2019, 02:53:51 PM
In NJ you have to stop behind an ice cream truck and then proceed past it at no more than 5mph.

15 mph, actually.

Quote from: New Jersey Statutes Title 39
Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation
39 § 4-128.4

a. The driver of a vehicle approaching or overtaking from either direction a frozen dessert truck stopped on the highway shall stop before reaching the truck when the flashing red lights and stop signal arm described in section 3 are in use.  After stopping, a driver may proceed past such truck at a reasonable and prudent speed, not exceeding 15 miles per hour, and shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian who crosses the roadway to or from the frozen dessert truck.

b. The driver of a vehicle on a highway having dual or multiple roadways separated by safety islands or physical traffic separation installations need not stop upon meeting or passing a frozen dessert truck on another roadway.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

In Utah, the law requires you to slow down and "provide as much space as practical". A lane change is only required if it is practical and safe, and the vehicle in question is an emergency vehicle - that provision does not apply to the section for tow trucks and maintenance vehicles. It also contains wording allowing drivers to make a lane change out of an HOV lane, even if it involves crossing a double-white line and would be illegal otherwise.

Quote from: 41-6a-904.  Approaching emergency vehicle -- Necessary signals -- Stationary emergency vehicle -- Duties of respective operators.
(2)   
(a)   The operator of a vehicle, upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, shall:
(i)   reduce the speed of the vehicle;
(ii)   provide as much space as practical to the stationary authorized emergency vehicle; and
(iii)   if traveling in a lane adjacent to the stationary authorized emergency vehicle and if practical, with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle.
(b)   
(i)   If the operator of a vehicle is traveling in an HOV lane, upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, the requirements in Subsection (2)(a) apply.
(ii)   The operator of a vehicle traveling in an HOV lane, upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, shall, if practical, with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, make a lane change out of the HOV lane into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle.

(3)   
(a)   The operator of a vehicle, upon approaching a stationary tow truck or highway maintenance vehicle that is displaying flashing amber lights, shall:
(i)   reduce the speed of the vehicle; and
(ii)   provide as much space as practical to the stationary tow truck or highway maintenance vehicle.
(b)   The operator of a vehicle traveling in an HOV lane, upon approaching a stationary tow truck or highway maintenance vehicle that is displaying flashing amber lights, shall, if practical, with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, make a lane change out of the HOV lane into a lane not adjacent to the tow truck or highway maintenance vehicle.

Here's how it's typically signed:

sprjus4

In Virginia, driving above 80 mph on a 70 mph rural interstate highway is considered "reckless" .

RobbieL2415

Come to CT, where it's the only state in the nation where you have to move over even for vehicles parked on the shoulder!

Flint1979

Quote from: vdeane on November 13, 2019, 01:21:28 PM

He did say those things first, so there was no reason for you to say them again except to take credit.  I've had this happen to me a few times, and while I haven't called people out on it, it's really annoying.
Who cares?

Flint1979

BTW, the question here asks what YOUR states laws are regarding moving over and slowing down so with that, Michigan is my home state and I can make a post in any topic in the forum. Which means your whinning here is pointless.

Omg someone else from Michigan also answered the question let's jump all over that poster because it makes me feel better. Get real dude.

sprjus4

US 89

Duke87

Quote from: US 89 on November 13, 2019, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2019, 09:12:48 PM
:popcorn:

The irony is just dripping off this post...

But the butter is just dripping off of that popcorn. It looks delicious.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

I really don't care what you've said. You aren't the only member from Michigan in here and you aren't the official spokesperson for the state in here. You seem to enjoy being an ignorant person.

But you were ignorant to his first post, no?

What I usually do, when someone from my state has already given important information, is to quote them, and then add-on. Repeating information that has already been posted should be avoided, but adding on is not a bad idea at all. For example, talking about why you don't like Michigan's law, or why you think it's better than a neighbouring state, etc.

Verlanka

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 13, 2019, 02:53:51 PM
Why? It's not an emergency vehicle.

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2019, 03:11:05 AM
I really don't care what you've said. You aren't the only member from Michigan in here and you aren't the official spokesperson for the state in here. You seem to enjoy being an ignorant person.

But you were ignorant to his first post, no?

What I usually do, when someone from my state has already given important information, is to quote them, and then add-on. Repeating information that has already been posted should be avoided, but adding on is not a bad idea at all. For example, talking about why you don't like Michigan's law, or why you think it's better than a neighbouring state, etc.
I didn't even see his post until after I made my post. Attacking someone for this is pretty childish. I knew what the law was without reading his post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.