Longest Road Segments Where Opposing Traffic Is Not Visible

Started by webny99, July 07, 2020, 01:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I-64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, VA, has a stretch of about 25 miles where the opposing direction of traffic is not visible at all, at least in the summer.

Are there any other such stretches of road that are that long, or longer?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

I-85 in VA from Exit 15 (US 1) to just south of Exit 42 (VA 40), except it has a very brief section where one could easily see the other side at the weigh station.
Newark born, Richmond bred

BridgesToIdealism

If we're just talking United States, I-8 across SoCal, where it starts winding through the mountains and the two roadbeds are over a half mile apart in some locations.

If we expand internationally, yes Mexico definitely has a ton of contenders, both along the Autopistas (toll roads) and the Federal Highways (their equivalent of Interstates, although not all of them are limited-access).
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on July 07, 2020, 01:21:43 PM
I-64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, VA, has a stretch of about 25 miles where the opposing direction of traffic is not visible at all, at least in the summer.

I-64 between Richmond and Charlottesville is largely the same, having a wide forested median, though here and there opposing traffic is visible.

Big John

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway in Ocean County, NJ south of Beachwood has long stretches where only at the Barnegate Toll Plaza the two sides come together.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 07, 2020, 06:00:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 07, 2020, 01:21:43 PM

I-64 between Richmond and Charlottesville is largely the same, having a wide forested median, though here and there opposing traffic is visible.

In addition, I-95 also used to mostly have a wide forested median between Fredricksburg and Occoquan. Oh how things have changed. The section between Exit 140 and 143 is pretty much the only remnant left:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4353266,-77.4058403,5398m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&aut

However, I think the winner is probably indeed international and IMO would be Mexico route 180D on the Yucatan Penisula. If not the longest stretch where opposing traffic is not visible, definitely the longest continuous tree median:
https://www.google.com/maps/@20.7913619,-88.0248376,51536m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Mapmikey

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 08, 2020, 10:39:06 AM

In addition, I-95 also used to mostly have a wide forested median between Fredricksburg and Occoquan. Oh how things have changed. The section between Exit 140 and 143 is pretty much the only remnant left:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4353266,-77.4058403,5398m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&aut

This is on its way out as well...

Jmiles32

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 08, 2020, 01:11:07 PM

All of it? Looking at the HOT lane extension plans, it appears that the express lanes will be built right next to the existing northbound lanes so that most of the median will be saved. as someone who really doesn't even like tree medians, even I don't see the logic of cutting down the entire thing considering how wide it is.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 08, 2020, 03:22:17 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 08, 2020, 01:11:07 PM

All of it? Looking at the HOT lane extension plans, it appears that the express lanes will be built right next to the existing northbound lanes so that most of the median will be saved. as someone who really doesn't even like tree medians, even I don't see the logic of cutting down the entire thing considering how wide it is.
Bits and pieces will still exist where the median is extra wide, but for the most part will likely be torn down.

I prefer tree medians to some extent, especially at night time to eliminate oncoming headlight glare.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on July 07, 2020, 01:31:55 PM
27 mi

Wow, I thought that twisty section of 2D near La Rumorosa was longer, but it's only about 22km.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on July 09, 2020, 01:09:48 PM

27 mi

Wow, I thought that twisty section of 2D near La Rumorosa was longer, but it's only about 22km.

Same here, as well as the part of 145(D) between Puebla and Orizaba, where the carriageways cross over one another.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 09, 2020, 11:06:07 AM
I prefer tree medians to some extent, especially at night time to eliminate oncoming headlight glare.

I don't know, I almost dislike treed medians more at night. I find the oncoming headlights help keep me awake, both because of the lights and the fact that it's something to observe / pay attention to. Plus I just like to know what's going on over there!

webny99

US 15 north of Williamsport, PA, is another interesting one. There's no individual examples of more than 5 miles or so, but there's several stretches of about that length, and it's the opposite of I-64 in terms of character and scenery.

It's got to have some of the biggest elevation differentials between directions, too: Most examples of oncoming traffic not being visible are caused by trees, distance, or both, but here is a unique example caused by elevation. Speaking of which...

kinupanda

27 mi
Any insight on what the rationale for this is? Offhand, I don't see any terrain issues, development preventing both directions from following the route of the eastbound lanes, or any appreciable development on the westbound lanes to necessitate access.

kphoger

Quote from: kinupanda on July 09, 2020, 11:13:48 PM

27 mi

Any insight on what the rationale for this is? Offhand, I don't see any terrain issues, development preventing both directions from following the route of the eastbound lanes, or any appreciable development on the westbound lanes to necessitate access.

My suspicion is that the eastbound carriageway is the original highway, then the westbound carriageway was built when the highway was four-laned.
Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 09:42:13 AM
Quote from: kinupanda on July 09, 2020, 11:13:48 PM

27 mi

My suspicion is that the eastbound carriageway is the original highway, then the westbound carriageway was built when the highway was four-laned.
Should've just built both carriageways on the new alignment, and converted the old one into a business / alternate route or equivalent.

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 10, 2020, 12:25:39 PM
Should've just built both carriageways on the new alignment, and converted the old one into a business / alternate route or equivalent.

Why build two new carriageways instead of only one?  What advantage would there be?  In other words, what's wrong with the way it is?

Edited to add:  The two ejidos along what I'm assuming is the original alignment have a total population of 335 between them (I'm not counting a third one, with a population of 7), and each has access to both carriageways.
Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on October 23, 2020, 04:49:32 PM
Exit 89 for... itself?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.5556746,-43.2360965,16.95z

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 06, 2020, 03:24:00 PM
Exit 89 for... itself??  :confused:

OK, so you keep bringing this up.  I've taken a close look at the interchange, and I don't see what the big deal is.  That exit is just an opportunity for traffic in either direction to turn around.  Exits in both directions are even signed as "RETORNO".  It's just a mountain version (and therefore a more complicated version) of a median crossover.  Basically a more tangled version of this.
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

It's also worth noting that that road is not a freeway.  There are houses, private businesses, local streets, and even a school along that road with no other ability to turn around and go the other way.  There's also a turnaround at the north end of that section.  What's weird is that there isn't one on the south end; traffic needing to turn around there has to pay a toll.  Twice.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

It's not necessarily continuous, but there's a good bit of distance on I-40 in Arizona, between Kingman and Flagstaff, where opposing traffic is not visible. It's pretty scenic, too, in my opinion.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.