Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 20, 2021, 06:49:51 PM
Are there any commonly used signs with no legend or imagery? I suppose I'd get used to it, but it definitely seems like something's missing there.

Types 1-4 object markers are used generically, though usually for a range of purposes.

OM1-3 is a pretty good example; no buttons nor stripes on it.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 20, 2021, 07:02:03 PM

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 20, 2021, 06:49:51 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 20, 2021, 02:42:13 PM

IMO this is enough for an all language stop sign

Are there any commonly used signs with no legend or imagery? I suppose I'd get used to it, but it definitely seems like something's missing there.

I found this when looking through a list of road signs in China

That's a fairly common sign in Europe as well.

For example, I once crossed a railroad track at a train station in the Netherlands.  I saw the sign below on the pathway, but I thought that, because there was no slash through the circle, crossing was not prohibited.  I got yelled at by a station employee.

I'll also point out that, even though stop signs aren't used without some sort of legend, yield signs are.

Theoretically, I think Ireland has the configuration below for STOP AHEAD.  However, I don't know if this is actually commonly used in the field.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

The international standard Do Not Enter is the same as ours, but cutout and without the text:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MaddogMicharski

Jughandles should be used more frequently on major arterial roads.
MaddogMicharski

Don't park your Ford in my driveway.

kphoger

And we're all very surprised to see that you're from New Jersey.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

There are a few more "blank" signs than I thought. I guess, then, that the empty stop sign could work.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

Thought of this when looking at I-580 NV and discussing exit numbers on US 36 MO in the Missouri thread earlier.

It should be an option to use the US Route's mile markers (and exit numbers) on Interstate/US Route concurrencies if the two routes are completely concurrent in the Interstate's stretch, the US Route's mile marker numbers are larger, and the US Route continues as a freeway right past the interstate's terminus.

An example of this already existing is I-22/US 78 in MS. I-22 starts at Exit 12 at its western terminus with I-269 because US 78 continues as a freeway further west to the TN line. It makes much more sense doing it this way than having the sole US 78 portion be numbered exits 1-12, then restarting at exit 1 when I-22 begins.

Same could be said about Future I-72 in MO using US 36's mileposts/exit numbers instead of its own, since it's more likely that I-72 would end at I-29 or I-35 than continue all the way to the KS border. And I-580 in NV, I don't like that jump from exit 36 (using I-580 mileposts) to exit 68 (using US 395 mileposts) at the former's northern terminus at I-80. It was perfectly fine before the exits got renumbered, when the whole stretch of I-580 used US 395's greater numbered mileposts and exit numbers.

Mapmikey

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 24, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
Thought of this when looking at I-580 NV and discussing exit numbers on US 36 MO in the Missouri thread earlier.

It should be an option to use the US Route's mile markers (and exit numbers) on Interstate/US Route concurrencies if the two routes are completely concurrent in the Interstate's stretch, and the US Route continues as a freeway right past the interstate's terminus.

An example of this already existing is I-22/US 78 in MS. I-22 starts at Exit 12 at its western terminus with I-269 because US 78 continues as a freeway further west to the TN line. It makes much more sense doing it this way than having the sole US 78 portion be numbered exits 1-12, then restarting at exit 1 when I-22 begins.

Same could be said about Future I-72 in MO using US 36's mileposts/exit numbers instead of its own, since it's more likely that I-72 would end at I-29 or I-35 than continue all the way to the KS border. And I-580 in NV, I don't like that jump from exit 36 (using I-580 mileposts) to exit 68 (using US 395 mileposts) at the former's northern terminus at I-80. It was perfectly fine before the exits got renumbered, and the whole stretch of I-580 used US 395's mileposts and exit numbers.

I585 using US 176's mile markers may be the OG of this concept.

TBKS1

I honestly think that the US Route violations (400, 412, 425) are pretty unique. I should also say that I have absolutely no issue with Clearview or any other font, as long as I can read it.

I don't really know a whole lot about roads themselves, I pretty much only take pictures of road signs and that's it lol
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Scott5114

Quote from: TBKS1 on October 24, 2021, 02:07:41 PM
I should also say that I have absolutely no issue with Clearview or any other font, as long as I can read it.

Are you fine with the corruption part of the story? Because the typeface itself I can take or leave, but Meeker & Associates's conduct during the whole Clearview affair makes my blood boil. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 24, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
It should be an option to use the US Route's mile markers (and exit numbers) on Interstate/US Route concurrencies if the two routes are completely concurrent in the Interstate's stretch, the US Route's mile marker numbers are larger, and the US Route continues as a freeway right past the interstate's terminus.

Why does it matter that the US route numbers be larger?
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

OracleUsr

Okay, I thought NOT liking Clearview might be more unpopular, but I guess not (I don't).

I like left exits too, where appropriate (like highway splits).
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

LilianaUwU

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 24, 2021, 09:37:07 PM
Okay, I thought NOT liking Clearview might be more unpopular, but I guess not (I don't).

From what I've read, the forum was very anti-Clearview in its early days.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 24, 2021, 09:46:08 PM

Still is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 24, 2021, 09:46:08 PM

I don't have an issue with Clearview, per se.  I've got an issue with agencies (such as Michigan DOT) spending zillions of dollars to replace signs that don't need replacing, just to get the font out there, while existing roads and bridges become increasingly inadequate.

vdeane

I prefer FHWA, but I don't mind Clearview text as long as it's applied per the terms of the interim approval.  For whatever reason I don't like how the numbers look, and that dislike has only grown with time.  Someone once asked by I hate British Columbia's Clearview signs but am fine with Québec's, and I think the answer comes down to British Columbia using Clearview numbers everywhere (even in shields), whereas Québec only uses Clearview for text.

There's also, of course, Meeker's corruption.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of Clearview for that reason alone.  Companies shouldn't be allowed to profit from fraudulent studies and lobbying Congress to bail them out when FHWA realized what happened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US20IL64

FHWA e's look like c's and vice versa.      :poke: :spin:

Tom958

Put a diagram of the intersection on it, in white.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Tom958 on October 25, 2021, 05:59:32 PM

Ooh, with thick lines for the directions that need to stop and think lines for the directions that don't. Or vice versa. I don't know.

TBKS1

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 24, 2021, 02:28:28 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on October 24, 2021, 02:07:41 PM
I should also say that I have absolutely no issue with Clearview or any other font, as long as I can read it.

Are you fine with the corruption part of the story? Because the typeface itself I can take or leave, but Meeker & Associates's conduct during the whole Clearview affair makes my blood boil.

I literally know nothing about that. This is probably a stupid question but were they trying to mandate it initially?
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 25, 2021, 06:17:14 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on October 25, 2021, 05:59:32 PM

Ooh, with thick lines for the directions that need to stop and think lines for the directions that don't. Or vice versa. I don't know.
Perhaps something like this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

That'll work, and it's definitely clear what the meaning is, but what I had in mind was something like this:

In the first, the cross street is wider, which would imply that cross traffic doesn't have a stop sign, while in the second, the two streets are the same width, which would imply that it's a four-way stop. And of course, all the other variations could be displayed in a similar way.

bing101

Demolish CA-90 Marina freeway and make it an arterial only for the city or county levels?

CNGL-Leudimin

IMO a County Route can never be a highway. Which leads to a paradox, in which CR 215 around the West side of Las Vegas cannot be considered a highway but only a minor road despite it being a freeway. Now that is something.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 09, 2022, 07:18:12 AM
IMO a County Route can never be a highway. Which leads to a paradox, in which CR 215 around the West side of Las Vegas cannot be considered a highway but only a minor road despite it being a freeway. Now that is something.
Suffolk County, NY would like a word with you.  Many of the most major surface streets are actually county routes, with the major county roads actually being more major than most of the non-freeway state routes.  I would say the major exceptions are NY 110, NY 231, NY 347, NY 454, NY 114, and NY 27.  CR 46, CR 83, and CR 97 are the major north-south routes in that part of the county, not nearby NY 112, for example.  CR 111 is more major than NY 24.  And CR 48 is more major than NY 25.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.