News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DDIs converted from a Parclo

Started by SkyPesos, July 12, 2021, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Thought of this thread idea from this post in the "Which interchanges (in your area, maybe) should be DDIs?" thread:
Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2021, 02:24:17 AM
I fear DDIs may not be appropriate for those partial cloverleaf interchanges. The parclo is quite high capacity already. If anything, I feel additional left turn lanes may be useful, or improved coordination of the traffic signals.

DDIs are quite good at handling traffic coming on and off freeways, but are not so good at handling through traffic since, as you can perhaps conceptually realize, the crossover prevents simultaneous progression.
Post examples of a DDI that's converted from a former A4 or B4 Parclo. Here's my example: I-70 and Mid Rivers Mall Dr (exit 222), formerly an A4 Parclo:

tolbs17

Probably because it took too much space or it was not so pedestrian friendly or the DOT is obsessed with that type of interchange.

tradephoric

tradephoric

Quote from: tradephoric on July 15, 2021, 10:44:36 AM
I-96 & Cascada (formerly a Parclo B4): 
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.94728,-85.56689,319m/data=!3m1!1e3

That example pained me to mention as i'm a big fan of Parclo B4s and hate to see them go!  But here is an aerial of the previous Parclo B4 interchange.  The deceleration lane doesn't start till after the overpass so essentially there was no deceleration lane on the freeway.  Potentially this led to a lot of run-off crashes and could have played a factor to why they replaced it with a DDI. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.