News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is a sign better with one or two posts?

Started by tolbs17, July 19, 2021, 07:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 09:10:42 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 10:36:09 PM

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2021, 10:30:16 PM
In terms of non-guide signage, I have not seen the two-post setup here in WA. Warning, regulatory, etc...all single-post.

I definitely prefer the look of a single post.

On that one big sign?

:pan:

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 21, 2021, 10:46:06 PM
Which states post interstates reassurance shields with two posts? Ohio is one of them to start the list off, though there's also a fair share of single-post ones (specifically some newer installations) out there.

Tiny soda, of course.
The church I attended in Duluth actually got mail with addresses written "Duluth, Minisoda."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 21, 2021, 10:46:06 PM
Which states post interstates reassurance shields with two posts? Ohio is one of them to start the list off, though there's also a fair share of single-post ones (specifically some newer installations) out there.

Oklahoma is generally only one post, though there's a few doubles on I-240 (probably because of the wide shield plus assorted concurrency shields under it).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

I think this is excessive with 13 red diamonds. NC-55 used to go straight through where the I-95 Northbound entrance ramp is.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 04:43:27 PM
I think this is excessive with 13 red diamonds. NC-55 used to go straight through where the I-95 Northbound entrance ramp is.

Especially the two on the left.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 04:43:27 PM

Especially the two on the left.
6 would be enough, right?

hbelkins

In Kentucky, it generally depends on the size of the sign. The typical 24x24 or 24x30 route markers, square warning signs, rectangular regulatory signs, etc., are usually mounted on one post, especially on two-lane roads.

On the interstates, parkways, and high-speed four-lane roads, most of the signs are mounted on two posts. Some of the route markers only get one post, however.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 07:34:48 PM
One and two posts with reflective material

Here aswell.

These are in my neck of the woods.  The double stopsigns and the double approach signs appear to be the new standard for NCDOT District 7.  This intersection was changed over to a four-way stop ("all way") a couple of years ago.  If you notice, the opposing direction also had the double stopsigns, but still had the single approach sign on GSV.  After the change, all four directions now have both double stopsigns and double approach signs.  There are now a few locations that have the wider stopsign posted on the left side for better visibility in right-hand curves.

As is typical in North Carolina, both sets of changes were instigated after fatal accidents.  The one back in 2015 ended up with changes primarily in the westbound direction.  The next one was a few years later, and I'm pretty sure that it was in the same direction.  That resulted in the four-way stop.  High Rock Road has been the "main road" out here since it the final section of dirt road was paved in 2001.  But most of the traffic turns north or south on Mill Creek Road to access those subdivisions.

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 22, 2021, 08:44:34 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 07:34:48 PM
One and two posts with reflective material

Here aswell.

These are in my neck of the woods.  The double stopsigns and the double approach signs appear to be the new standard for NCDOT District 7.  This intersection was changed over to a four-way stop ("all way") a couple of years ago.  If you notice, the opposing direction also had the double stopsigns, but still had the single approach sign on GSV.  After the change, all four directions now have both double stopsigns and double approach signs.  There are now a few locations that have the wider stopsign posted on the left side for better visibility in right-hand curves.

As is typical in North Carolina, both sets of changes were instigated after fatal accidents.  The one back in 2015 ended up with changes primarily in the westbound direction.  The next one was a few years later, and I'm pretty sure that it was in the same direction.  That resulted in the four-way stop.  High Rock Road has been the "main road" out here since it the final section of dirt road was paved in 2001.  But most of the traffic turns north or south on Mill Creek Road to access those subdivisions.
Do you prefer signs on just the right side or on both sides?

tolbs17

Bitmapped

A lot of it depends on the size of the sign being mounted. Smaller signs can get away with a single post, while larger ones often require two.

West Virginia's standard is to use Z-bars with signs mounted on two posts, but not on signs mounted on a single post. What you'll often see, especially with larger contractor-installed signage, is that they'll use two posts with Z-bars if there is no guardrail present. If the sign is located behind guardrail and does have crash safety concerns, they'll use two U-channel posts back-to-back and skip the Z-bars.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

SkyPesos

Big John

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.