News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Challenge: Find The Sign

Started by Brian556, December 30, 2010, 11:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 02, 2011, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on January 02, 2011, 09:52:29 AM
You mean like one of these?  (sign courtesy of the legendary Michael Summa's collection)

Yes, that one! Now if we can only find an example of one in the field (whether it's an old photo or new).

Only one i found was in the Gallery
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=MA19880951
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

agentsteel53

that's not '61 spec though - doesn't count!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

MDOTFanFB

Here is a neutered 3di shield (the one on the leftmost sign):

And a neutered 2di shield:

Quillz

Is that 3di shield using Series D or something thicker? It really should be Series C, would look much better.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: Quillz on January 04, 2011, 07:55:44 PM
Is that 3di shield using Series D or something thicker? It really should be Series C, would look much better.

Series F.

agentsteel53

Louisiana is also super tough to find button copy.  the only sign I know of is a black (!) guide sign pointing to the Superdome.

also, Mississippi - none in that state as far as I know.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 05, 2011, 07:52:09 PM
the only sign I know of is a black (!) guide sign pointing to the Superdome.

Black guide signs are also super tough to find anywhere! Prior to 1971, black was the standard color for guide signs on non-Interstate highways. Also before 1971, white was the color to use to separate two-way traffic.

Quillz

Am I the only one who thinks that black guide signs on freeways is the way to go? Seems like it would be more legible than the current green signs.

thenetwork

Quote from: Quillz on January 04, 2011, 07:55:44 PM

If you're referring to the I-475 sign, I don't know the specifics, but I can tell you that is EXACTLY how some of the original I-475 signs looked like on some of the overhead BGSs of the I-475 stretch between I-75 and US-23 on the north end of Toledo, for what it's worth. 

thenetwork

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 03, 2011, 11:36:24 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 31, 2010, 04:12:36 PM
Quote from: corco on December 31, 2010, 03:37:25 PM
A Button Copy sign within the state of Wyoming.

Go go go

I can say the same for Delaware and Virginia :P

Here you go. ;)
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.253517,-81.117575&spn=0.006285,0.013937&z=17&layer=c&cbll=37.253738,-81.117711&panoid=JS0ghKWSpTKjQ9pzXLD1xA&cbp=12,344.67,,1,-2.27

Too bad it's from WVDOT, but it is posted in VA. ;)

But is that really a DOT-installed sign?  Usually, there are private contractors that install & maintain the blue service/logo signs (since they make money off of the businesses that wish  to "advertise" their location directly on the freeway signage (toll roads are usually done by the toll commissions themselves) -- they just have to follow the respective states' sign specs for BGS installations.

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on January 05, 2011, 08:14:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that black guide signs on freeways is the way to go? Seems like it would be more legible than the current green signs.

FHWA did a study around the beginning of the Interstate System that had motorists drive down a stretch of test road (it may have been an unopened Interstate) with signs done up in green, blue, and black, and they were asked to vote on the color of the signs at the end of the track. Green got the most, then blue, then black brought up the rear.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

I'm just kind of surprised, is all. I thought white against black would be the most visible color scheme. Apparently not.

MDOTFanFB

Quillz

Looking through the Shield Gallery, I found what's probably my favorite Interstate shield ever:

This is a wide, 1961 shield. The best shield, in my opinion. Has a good width, the numerals are well proportioned and it has a nice, thick white border. I also like the same shield neutered, which some of my more recent Interstate shield concepts are based on.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 05, 2011, 07:52:09 PM
Louisiana is also super tough to find button copy.  the only sign I know of is a black (!) guide sign pointing to the Superdome.

I've seen some "Connecticut-style" button copy guide signs in Louisiana, plus my wife took a few photos of some during a couple of jaunts across I-10 in the last few years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MDOTFanFB

yakra

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 31, 2010, 11:49:18 PM2di inside a 3di shield (though this really isn't an error, as the 95 shield covers a 495 shield):

There is, however, a genuine goofy 3di-width I-95 shield, on the southbound Turnpike just after the Kennebunk service area -- the part of the Turnpike that's always been I-95. Near the ME35 overpass IIRC.
I doubt I have a photo of it to post, and if I did, there's no obvious place to start looking...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

OracleUsr

Whoa, wait...Montreal, PQ, as a control city for I-95???  The heck is that all about?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Dr Frankenstein

'The Hell? At that point you're already WAY East of Montreal, and only getting farther.

OracleUsr

Actually, there's a sign for Quebec, PQ, further north on I-95, at the US 201 interchange in Skowhegan, north of Portland...actually north of Augusta.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

NE2

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 06, 2011, 12:14:43 AM
Whoa, wait...Montreal, PQ, as a control city for I-95???  The heck is that all about?
Presumably one of the exits on I-95 is signed for Montreal, though I can't figure out which one.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

Quebec city makes more sense than Montreal as a control city there, especially for US-201, which heads straight there. US-201 is signed all the way from Quebec City along A-73 and QC-173.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.