News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Street names that change names that should not or those that we roadgeeks refer

Started by roadman65, March 24, 2011, 05:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Quote from: wytout on April 06, 2011, 07:27:39 PM
... CT 190 ... keeps the name buckley highway until it's terminus with RT 171 (which in fact you don't necessarily know 190 terminated, except that after the T intersection w/ 171, the next EB reassurance is 171, and not 190 anymore.  Fun Stuff. (171 should have ended at it's intersection w/ 190 and 190 should have continued east to it's terminus at the i-84 exit 74 interchange.

Even better: 190 EB becomes 171 WB.

If I had been sitting in on the 1961 reclassification meetings, I would have strongly urged replacing most of 171 with 190, which would extend all the way to CT 12.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US71

Fayetteville, AR:

Razorback Rd becomes Cato Springs Rd

6th St becomes Huntsville Rd

These may be exceptions since in both cases, the former was extended into the later.

Johnson, AR has Main St which becomes Greathouse Springs Rd
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Duke87

Quote from: kurumi on April 07, 2011, 02:00:14 PM
Even better: 190 EB becomes 171 WB.

If I had been sitting in on the 1961 reclassification meetings, I would have strongly urged replacing most of 171 with 190, which would extend all the way to CT 12.

I dunno, it seems far more logical to just replace the "west" end of 171 up to I-84 with 190 instead. And, 197 should take over the piece between there and its current west end.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ftballfan

In Michigan, Morrish Rd changes to Moorish Rd at the Genesee/Saginaw county line.

1995hoo

If you drive eastbound on US-250 Business into Charlottesville, you'll initially be on Ivy Road. It becomes University Avenue after you cross US-29 Business (Emmet Street). Sensible enough name as you pass through the UVA Grounds. Six tenths of a mile east of there at the intersection with 14th Street the road changes names again, this time to Main Street. (That's right, University Avenue is 0.6 of a mile long.) Main Street itself is then only 0.8 of a mile long, as at the intersection with Ridge-McIntire Road if you're driving on Main Street and you continue straight ahead you'll be on either Water Street or South Street. (When I lived in Charlottesville, these were twinned one-way streets and so you had to use South Street, but they've made Water two-way since then.)

A little ways to the north of all this you can approach Charlottesville from the west on Garth Road. At one point Garth makes a 90-degree right turn at a T-intersection (the road onto which it turns is officially called Garth Road but is often called "21 Curves" because it's twisty); if instead you stay straight on the main drag, you're on Barracks Road. Barracks then becomes a part of Rugby Road for a whole one-tenth of a mile and then changes names again to Preston Avenue. 1.1 miles later it changes names again, this time to Market Street. (If instead you hung a left on Rugby Road, you'd come to an intersection where going straight would put you on Dairy Road. You have to go left there to stay on Rugby, which descends to the US-250 Bypass; after you cross the bypass, you're on Hydraulic Road, which eventually turns right and if you don't turn you're on Rio Road–pronounced with a long "I" sound like rye bread, RYE-o–and Rio eventually loops back around and becomes Park Street.)

Small wonder people in Charlottesville tend to give directions by saying things like "drive to where the Safeway used to be and turn left."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on March 24, 2011, 09:19:47 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 24, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
I think no obvious continuation of a street should change its name under any circumstance.

Very often this happens because a street is extended or realigned, resulting in two streets being continuous with each other that originally were not. And, neither side wants their street renamed, and nobody wants to go through the hassle and confusion of having to redo all the addresses.

Local example: Grove Street here in Stamford becomes Elm Street where it crosses Tresser Boulevard. But, if you wind the clock back 50 years, the configuration here was completely different.

This is common in Northern Virginia where an orphaned or superseded piece of road will often be renamed to start with "Old." I can think of one instance where the "Old" road was then reconfigured and they had to come up with a third name for the new road, so they used "Branch"–to go from Gallows Road to Old Gallows Road you use Gallows Branch Road.

The notion of disconnected streets with the same name is a plague in Arlington County. They have a street-naming system for north-south streets where you start at the Potomac and work your way west using one-syllable names, then two-syllable, etc. on up to the lone four-syllable name. Problem is, they generally use only a SINGLE name in each "alphabet" regardless of how many streets have the same name as a result. They add "North" or "South" to indicate if a road is north or south of US-50. I looked at a map and I counted seven different disconnected streets named "North Buchanan Street" and five different disconnected streets named "South Buchanan Street."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

In Orlando we have Old Winter Garden Road that is not the replacement of a newer one!  It was once the original FL 50 except between Bulford Avenue and McGuire Road as that was just extended.  Old 50 went up Bluford and made its way into FL 438 and continued west, but nonetheless its "old,"   Some with Cheney Highway on the east end of Orlando.  There is no New Cheney Highway, but in Brevard County FL 50 is just plain Cheney Highway, so at one time it extended into O-Town.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Chicagosuburban

There are a lot of these in Chicagoland. For example, St. Charles Road in Lombard IL...in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Winfield it continues as Geneva Rd, in West Chicago continues as Washington St, then still in West Chicago turns into Fabyan Pkwy, where it goes through Geneva and Batavia, and with the Kane County DOT's proposed plan it'll connect to Bliss Rd at its current terminus, and then in Sugar Grove, Bliss Rd continues as Wheeler Rd....Almost every one of these was from a realignment but it's still really confusing to most people.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

Chicagosuburban

Also in Chicago, the fact that almost every north-south arterial in Chicago is called something else when crossing into the northern suburbs...Clark St -> Chicago Ave...Western Ave -> Asbury Ave...California Ave -> Dodge Ave...Pulaski Rd -> Crawford Ave...Cicero Ave -> Skokie Blvd...not to mention Central Ave continuing as Carpenter Rd for 1/4 of a mile before continuing as Niles Center Rd

texaskdog

I could talk about Austin but my lunch is only an hour long.  Like Cameron turning into Dessau yet there is another cameron a mile away to the east (no they never connected or were plan to connect)....2 major duvals...wells branch pkwy becomes howard lane then becomes mcneil then becomes spicewood springs then old lampasas (3 of those 5 roads turn off in another direction)

mjb2002

I have several that should not change names.

In Aiken County:

In the North Augusta City Limits, JEFFERSON DAVIS HY becomes AIKEN-AUGUSTA HY. In Windsor, SPRING BRANCH RD becomes WINDSOR RD. Also in Windsor, S-2-964 and US 78 both have MIDDLETON DR as its name.

In Barnwell County:

WEST ST in Williston becomes BARNWELL RD and then WILLISTON WAY. ALLENDALE AV becomes MOONLIGHT RD. Also, there are 2 MAIN ST in Williston -- S-6-33 and S-6-108/US 78/SC 39. In Elko, DEERING RD becomes ROSEMARY RD. There are also 2 MAIN ST in Elko -- S-6-129 and US 78. In Blackville, LEGION RD becomes LAKE SHORE DR. HILDA RD becomes LARTIGUE ST. There are 2 HAMPTON AV in Blackville -- S-6-10 and S-6-76/S-6-147. In Barnwell, WEST WELLINGTON RD becomes JOEY ZORN BLVD.

kharvey10

in the St. Louis area

Midland/Dorsett - the road is known as Dorsett when it meets 270, but throughout the county this road is better known as Midland Ave.  (Dorsett is a Maryland Heights thing.)

Hanley/Graham/St. Ferdinand - in the county its better known as Hanley, but as soon as you get north of 270, it becomes Graham.  When it intersects Washington, that road changes names again to St. Ferdinand.

Washington/Elizabeth - north of 270 its Washington, and is the better known road.  south of 270, it becomes Elizabeth and heads into a residential area.  Elizabeth will eventually become Bermuda Road and intersect I-70.

Airport Road:  This road becomes Hereford Ave once it crosses N. Florissant Road, then Chambers Road when it crosses Elizabeth.

Lindbergh Road:  In Kirkwood, it takes the name of Kirkwood Road.

Bellwood Street in Bethalto becomes Vaughn Road in Wood River.  It will become Central Ave. south of the old alignment of IL 143 (Alton-Edwardsville Road).

Brandon

Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 15, 2011, 02:11:53 PM
There are a lot of these in Chicagoland. For example, St. Charles Road in Lombard IL...in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Winfield it continues as Geneva Rd, in West Chicago continues as Washington St, then still in West Chicago turns into Fabyan Pkwy, where it goes through Geneva and Batavia, and with the Kane County DOT's proposed plan it'll connect to Bliss Rd at its current terminus, and then in Sugar Grove, Bliss Rd continues as Wheeler Rd....Almost every one of these was from a realignment but it's still really confusing to most people.

St Charles Rd actually takes a jog in West Chicago and goes up further north toward North Ave (IL-64) near the DuPage Airport.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chicagosuburban

Quote from: Brandon on July 16, 2011, 08:37:23 AM
Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 15, 2011, 02:11:53 PM

St Charles Rd actually takes a jog in West Chicago and goes up further north toward North Ave (IL-64) near the DuPage Airport.
I know but you have to turn to stay on St. Charles Rd, if you go straight you end up on Geneva Rd

brownpelican

Going downriver in New Orleans, Dryades Street used to run from Uptown to Howard Avenue. East of Howard, downriver traffic became to O'Keefe Avenue (toward downtown) and upriver traffic was renamed South Rampart Street.

Sometime in the 90s, Dryades from Howard to Phillip Street was renamed Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.