News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's the deal with (projects)...

Started by RustyK, March 30, 2011, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyK

...sort of a continuation of the "projects you thought would be finished by now" thread, but this is more along the lines of finding information that you've otherwise not been able to find.  For example:

I was reading that US-36 is now a 4-lane freeway all the way across MO.  As such, shouldn't it be I-72 now?  The US-36 page doesn't say much of anything about I-72 along that stretch.  What's going on there?

corco

I'm pretty sure there's still a ton of at-grade intersections- it's 4-lane expressway from what I understand pretty much all the way across, but not quite to interstate standards

huskeroadgeek

Yes, it's mostly 4-lane expressway-mostly at-grade intersections with interchanges only at major intersections. In other words, not interstate standard. It would require a lot of work to get it to interstate standard.

andytom

There's a big difference between 4-lane freeway and 4-lane divided (which is what US36 is across MO, at least from Cameron [I-35] to Hannibal [US-24]).  There are lots of at-grade crossings along this stretch.

--Andy

oscar

Quote from: andytom on March 30, 2011, 01:06:31 PM
There's a big difference between 4-lane freeway and 4-lane divided (which is what US36 is across MO, at least from Cameron [I-35] to Hannibal [US-24]).  There are lots of at-grade crossings along this stretch.
Also, much of the highway has two lanes of rather decrepit pavement in one direction, with newer pavement added later on for the other direction.  So it'd need lots of work beyond just removing the at-grade crossings.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kharvey10

and given that MoDOT caved in to Arkansas with I-49, the I-72 upgrade is a low priority.

vdeane

Continuing with this, what's the deal with NY 17 between NY 79 and Hale Eddy?  As far as I can tell it's just as much interstate standards from NY 79 until the first at-grade intersection as parts already I-86, so why does I-86 end at NY 79?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Quoteso why does I-86 end at NY 79?

Probably because NY 79 is a more logical terminus than an arbitrary point in the middle of nowhere.

vdeane

Well, the nearest interchange is exit 84 with NY 8 and NY 10.  Personally I'd sign I-86 on all continuous portions that are interstate standards.  After all, the intention is to complete it, no?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Perhaps something with the bridges over the railroad/Oquaga Creek (east of Exit 83) or over the West Branch of the Delaware River just west of Exit 84?  The other possibility is the narrow median near Exit 81.

Otherwise I agree and see no reason why they couldn't sign it to Exit 84.

mightyace

Quote from: deanej on April 01, 2011, 12:59:46 PM
Personally I'd sign I-86 on all continuous portions that are interstate standards.  After all, the intention is to complete it, no?

Agreed.

<rant>
I don't know what the big deal is against signing disconnected stretches of interstate that one day will be connected.  We had that all over the county when the main system was being built.

Are drivers that much dumber today?
</rant>
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

The Premier

I'm afraid so. :pan: In fact, there are some people that are very impatient when it comes to completing a stretch of roadway.
Alex P. Dent

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.