News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Making renovations to US routes...

Started by Quillz, April 08, 2011, 08:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

There's a policy regarding US routes that any new additions to the system must meet AASHTO design standards, which I take to be the same as Interstate standards. Would this apply to renovating an already existing section of a US route? Say they wanted to straighten and/or widen an older section, or even just repave a small stretch. Would they not be allowed to do so without completely rebuilding that particular alignment to the meet the current design standards?

Alps

No, AASHTO design standards are the Green Book. There are provisions for every level of highway. It has to have proper lane widths, superelevation and banking, vertical and horizontal curves, sight distance and clear zone, etc.

Quillz

Interesting. Do you have a link to this "Green Book?"

NE2

http://www.worldcat.org/title/policy-on-geometric-design-of-highways-and-streets-2004/oclc/57351603

As for the original question, a renovation does not need approval by AASHTO. I don't believe a minor relocation does either, only one that changes the cities used as control points, although some states will submit all relocations. For example, none of the recent realignments of US 84 in eastern Mississippi, such as around Waynesboro, seem to have been submitted to AASHTO (though I may be missing it due to their horribly inconsistent file naming).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I think you're supposed to submit to AASHTO every time the road is moved to a new designation (i.e. a new facility or onto a different route or road). A minor realignment or relocation probably doesn't need to go through them, though it would need to meet their design standards or have design waivers if it's in any part Federally funded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.