News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeways that were once arterials

Started by roadman65, April 30, 2011, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Let me ask if anyone knows of interstates or freeays that were once arterials?

I can start it out here by listing some I know about.

Florida-
FL 528 from Exit 8 to Exit 13 used to be a four lane divided arterial known as McCoy Road. McCoy Road is now severed, but parts are the service road for FL 528 on the north side.  

New Jersey-
I-78 from Exit 11 to Exit 18 in Hunderdon County was an upgraded US 22 that looked like it does east of Exit 18 to Somerville.
I-295 near Woodbury was a preexsiting part of US 130 from Exit 13 to Exit 23.  The section from NJ 44's northern terminus to the I-295- US 130 split was a Jesey Freeway like NJ 4 in Bergen County a freeway with driveways and side streets.

South Carolina-
I-95 north of Ridgeland was a four laned US 17 (hence the duplex) that was converted over.   Parts still exiist around Coosawatachie, SC where the new freeway was made to bypass and leave alone the original US 17.

Virginia-
I-95 from Jarrat to Petersburg was a four laned US 301 causing the new I-95 to take two of its lanes.  That is why at Jarrat where US 301 stops being I-95's service road the highway widens imediately!

I-64 near Williamsburg was four laned VA 168 that is now truncated at Norfolk.  From VA 143 to VA 30 only the original EB VA 168 carrigeway exisists as a service road.  The WB VA 168 bed was chopped up to make the exsisting I-64 there.  

Puerto Rico-
PR 26 in San Juan  was made into freeway from a arterial named Baldiority Castro Avenue, but now is the Baldiority Castro Expressway.

I know that there are more out there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

I saw one map suggesting there was a Major Deegan Blvd. a couple years before I-87 in NYC, but it may have just been the result of part of the freeway opening sooner. Bruckner Blvd. became I-278. Drumgoole Rd. became Richmond Parkway. Harding Blvd. became I-495/Long Island Expwy. You also have the reverse case where I-478 became West St.
Large parts of I-40 overlay US 66. Large parts of I-25 overlay US 85. I-95 overlays US 301 in southern VA.
Let's not forget I-86 as it gets upgraded, overlaying some arterial sections of former NY 17.

Stephane Dumas

A gap of TCH-20 between St-Hyacinthe and St-Redempteur as built overlay former PQ-9. A-20 in Dorion and Montreal West Island was known as Montreal-Toronto Boulevard and former PQ-2.
A-520 (Côte-de-Liesse) was once Côte-de-Liesse Road

hm insulators

In the eastern part of the Phoenix metropolitan area, the Loop 101 freeway runs from Chandler to Scottsdale along what used to be Pima Road in Scottsdale and Price Road in Tempe and Chandler. Price and Pima Roads still exist as one-way frontage roads. And before I-17 through Phoenix was built, there was the Black Canyon Highway and I think it was also Arizona 69.

Northeast of Scottsdale Airpark, the aforementioned Loop 101 bends 90 degrees to the west and follows the Beardsley Road corridor; Beardsley is now the frontage road. Just west of 75th Avenue in Peoria, Arizona, Loop 101 bends back to the south, but Beardsley Road continues west through Peoria. When the freeway was first built in the late 1990s, there were no connectors to the continuation of Beardsley, but even as I'm typing this, ADOT is almost finished with some nice new connectors to Beardsley and Union Hills Road.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ftballfan

I-96 between MM 20 and MM 24, built on top of Ironwood Dr, which exists on both sides of this stretch. In fact, Exit 24 leads to Ironwood Dr.

Did US-16 use Berlin Fair Dr and Hayes St to go through Marne? If that is the case, I-96 would have only been built on top of US-16 from MM 20 to roughly MM 22.

NE2

Many rural stretches of Interstate in western Texas.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Sepulveda Boulevard once connected the north end of the S.F. Valley to Sylmar before I-405 and I-5 were built. Evidence of this still exists as there is a very short Sepulveda Blvd. in Sylmar that today serves as a frontage road.

froggie

QuoteI-64 near Williamsburg was four laned VA 168 that is now truncated at Norfolk.  From VA 143 to VA 30 only the original EB VA 168 carrigeway exisists as a service road.  The WB VA 168 bed was chopped up to make the exsisting I-64 there.

For clarification, this only applies to the segment north of VA 143/Camp Peary to about a mile north of the SR 607 interchange.  From VA 143/Camp Peary southeast to VA 143/Jefferson Ave (near Patrick Henry Mall) was not built until the mid-60s, and the segment southeast of Jefferson Ave to the HRBT was custom-built as freeway to begin with.

As for others...

- I-20/59 through Meridian fits the bill (originally US 11/US 80/Tom Bailey Dr).
- VA 28 from I-66 north to VA 7 was all arterial (albeit limited-access) until the recent interchange projects made most of it a freeway.
- MD 5/Branch Ave has been effectively converted to freeway between I-95/495 and Surrats Rd.
- US 52 from 55th St NW in Rochester, MN northwest to Oronoco is a recent arterial-turned-freeway conversion.
- MN 100 began as an at-grade arterial.  A process which wound up taking 40 years culminated in the 2004 removal of the last traffic signal...it is now fully a freeway between I-494 and I-694.
- Likewise, US 10/US 61 through Newport, MN was an arterial, recently converted to a freeway as part of the I-494 Wakota Bridge project.
- MN 36 started off as an arterial, but has by and large become a freeway between I-35W and US 61.

Brandon

I-55 in Illinois was built on top of the old US-66 in 1956 from IL-129 (Exit 238) to IL-59 (Exit 251) and from IL-126 (Exit 261) to Joliet Road (Exit 276 C).
IL-83 is an arterial that has been upgraded to freeway in parts of DuPage County (mostly from 63rd Street to 22nd Street).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Tarkus

US-26 in Portland, OR, between the Vista Ridge Tunnel and the OR-8 (Canyon Road) interchange was actually part of Canyon Road itself (then OR-6, even earlier, OR-2) until the construction of the tunnel.  It originally connected into SW Jefferson Street, and that segment still exists as the ramps for Exit 73.  There's also a short parallel stretch between the Oregon Zoo and Sylvan known as SW Canyon Court.

The new US-97 bypass in Redmond, OR uses a good bit of the alignment of Canal Blvd, though that's more of a RIRO expressway than a full freeway.  There's still a segment of it that runs parallel.

akotchi

U.S. 50/301 in Maryland was converted to freeway (though it is not part of I-595) between Ritchie Hwy. (Md. 2/450) in the Annapolis area to the 50/301 split in Queenstown.  It had been a high-speed, six-lane (?) arterial with traffic signals in about a half-dozen locations along the length.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

national highway 1

The San Bernardino Fwy (I-10) used to be Ramona Blvd before being upgraded to a freeway.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Brandon

Around Detroit, the Jeffries Freeway (I-96) was Schoolcraft Road and the Southfield Freeway (M-39) was Southfield Road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-155 in Illinois between Peoria and I-55 and incorporated almost all but a few miles of 2 lane Illinois 121

Kacie Jane

I reserve the right to be wrong on this one, but I think at least portions of I-405 in Washington were originally built as non-freeway.  Also, a lot of I-5 from Bellingham to the border was directly upgraded from US 99 (also a stretch between Olympia and Tacoma I believe).

AZDude

Quote from: hm insulators on April 30, 2011, 03:23:30 PM
In the eastern part of the Phoenix metropolitan area, the Loop 101 freeway runs from Chandler to Scottsdale along what used to be Pima Road in Scottsdale and Price Road in Tempe and Chandler. Price and Pima Roads still exist as one-way frontage roads. And before I-17 through Phoenix was built, there was the Black Canyon Highway and I think it was also Arizona 69.

Northeast of Scottsdale Airpark, the aforementioned Loop 101 bends 90 degrees to the west and follows the Beardsley Road corridor; Beardsley is now the frontage road. Just west of 75th Avenue in Peoria, Arizona, Loop 101 bends back to the south, but Beardsley Road continues west through Peoria. When the freeway was first built in the late 1990s, there were no connectors to the continuation of Beardsley, but even as I'm typing this, ADOT is almost finished with some nice new connectors to Beardsley and Union Hills Road.

Do you have any pictures of what Price Road looked like before the Freeway was built?

Revive 755

Are we differentiating between arterials and expressways here?

Illinois
* I-72 between IL 106 (Exit 1) and I-172 was originally an expressway grade US 36

* Part of I-72 on the south side of Springfield between Wabash Avenue and I-55 was originally built with signalized intersections as the South Bypass

* There was a brief expressway section of I-72 between I-55 and Exit 104 (note the two roads angling in towards I-72 that dead end now on Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.803529,-89.585502&spn=0.003383,0.008256&t=k&z=18

Indiana

* At least some of I-65 north of I-465 was built on top of US 52

Missouri

* I think I-29 inside of I-435 was built over US 71

* Parts of I-44 directly overlaid US 66

* Parts of I-55 in southern Missouri overlaid US 61

* A lot of I-70 across Missouri was built on top of US 40

* MO 367 between US 67 and I-270 was a signalized route with outer roads before it was upgraded.

* The depressed section of I-70 was an at grade multiple-lane surface street; see the 1958 views on Historic Aerials

* MO 94 in St. Charles County is seeing parts of it upgraded from a signalized expressway to full freeway as part of the Page Avenue Extension

Nebraska

* US 6/West Dodge Expressway was a major surface street before it was upgraded

* Parts of US 75 south of Omaha will be made into a freeway from an arterial

AZDude

Parts of I-215 in Henderson were once part of Lake Mead Drive.

mgk920

-Large sections of I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison, WI were originally two-lane WI 30.
-Several parts of I-43 in northern Milwaukee County, WI were previously Port Washington Rd, a four-lane suburban surface boulevard (US 141).
-Several sections of US 41 in the Appleton and Oshkosh, WI area were originally two-lane surface roads, ditto large sections of I-39 north of Portage, WI were originally two-lane US 51.
-I-94 in Racine and Kenosha Counties (WI) was originally two-lane US 41.
-The US 54 freeway in eastern Wichita, KS was originally Kellogg Ave, a normal surface street.
-I-394 in Minnetonka, MN was originally surface US 12.

Mike

Duke87

The northern end of the DE 1 freeway is on top of old DE 7, and a couple pieces of it further south ate old US 13.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I-280 near Toledo (from the "old" drawbridge to the turnpike)
I-75 between exits 167 (Oh 18) and 171 (Oh 25) was built litterally over (then) US 25
Oh 315 between the I-70/71 west split and I-670 was built over Sandusky Street in Columbus
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

If I am not mistaken, part of US 11/52 in the Wytheville, Va. area was converted to freeway for the completion of I-77/I-81.

Also, part of US 421 in the Wilkesboro/North Wilkesboro, NC area was converted to freeway.

And don't forget US 40's conversion to I-68 in western Maryland, between Cumberland and Hancock.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

As far as I am aware, all urban freeways in Nevada were built on completely new alignments, with one exception:

Quote from: AZDude on April 30, 2011, 09:38:42 PM
Parts of I-215 in Henderson were once part of Lake Mead Drive.

The first 6 miles of I-215 beltway, from the terminus at I-515/US 93/US 95 to NV146/St Rose Pkwy, was built directly on top of the SR 146/Lake Mead Drive right of way--at the time, that portion of SR 146 was still mostly a busy, two-lane highway.

Other parts of the beltway follow portions of arterial roadway alignments, but none of those arterials (that I know of) were actually constructed or in major use when the beltway was built in those areas.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mgk920

That one little section on I-88 in the Binghamton, NY area appears to have been dug out of a surface street.

Mike

DTComposer

More California:

CA-13 (Warren Freeway) was built on top of Warren Boulevard.

I-280 was built on top of parts of both Skyline Boulevard and Canada Road.

CA-237 was built on top of Mountain View-Alviso Road and Alviso-Milpitas Road.

US-101 through San Jose and the Peninsula was originally built as the Bayshore Highway (US-101 BYP) then upgraded to freeway.

The section of I-405 that is multiplexed with CA-22 was built on top of Garden Grove Boulevard.

CA-55 was built on top of Newport Boulevard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.