News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

If you were able to travel through time, what historic highway would you travel?

Started by roadman65, May 03, 2011, 07:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

If you had the opportunity to travel back in time to go anywhere, where would you go?

I would love to travel the Pennsylvania Turnpike the day it opened in 1940.
Travel US 66 in the mid 1950's.
See what Orange Blossom Trail looked like in 1945 between Orlando and Kissimmee, FL.
See the original Garden State Parkway when it was young and the NJ Turnpike also.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ftballfan

1. Drive around Michigan before the freeways.
2. Michigan to Florida before Disney World (1950s-1971).
3. US-66 in the mid 1950s.
4. The early days of the Interstate system.

Ian

Like NE2 said, there is already another thread on this, but I'll contribute...

1) I-95 north of Bangor back when it was still a super-2
2) Any US highway in Florida during the colored shield era
3) I-476/Blue Route when it first opened
4) I-93 through Boston pre-Big Dig
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 03, 2011, 10:19:28 PM

4) I-93 through Boston pre-Big Dig

occasional state-named shield.  a cool view of downtown from the south.  lots of traffic.

to answer the original question: US 17-1.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

The Lincoln Highway pre-1926.  Might be hard to follow and even drive at times, but could be a blast to drive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

joseph1723

Here's mine...

The QEW during the late 30's and early 40's
ON 2 back in the early 50's
US-66 in the mid 1950s
The 401 before they put in the collector/express lanes.

Henry

Yes, I was aware of a similar thread already existing, but this is a list of what I'd want to drive:

Route 66 in the mid-late 50s/early 60s (in a Corvette, similar to the TV show)
Chicago's expressways in the mid-60s
All suffixed Interstates that existed before 1980
US 40 across the country in the mid-late 50s
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dr Frankenstein

I think I'd do my commute to work and some of the main highways here, see what's different, perhaps for every decade.

nexus73

US 101 in all it's narrow crooked glory from Olympia to the Mexican border, then take US 80 to come back via US 99 from the Mexican border to the Canadian border.  I'll go with driving it the year I was born (1955) since that lets me choose from the first T-bird, the first Corvette with a V-8, the first 300 (the 300C) and also have shots at Studebaker, Packard, Nash and other soon-to-be-gone marques.  Heck, I'll drive one of each for a segment of that road trip!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

The old thread was "when" and "what would you drive." This is "where would you go," a different concept. So no, we haven't in fact done this yet. I would want to see NY's Parkways and Expressways in the 40s and 50s, and of course the LIMP in the 10s and 20s. California's freeways in the 40s and 50s, too, when they still had REAL route numbers like 66 and 7.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.