News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Urban Freeways

Started by ftballfan, June 03, 2011, 09:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

Quote from: mightyace on June 29, 2011, 06:45:26 AM
^^^

Agreed, on the Penn-Lincoln section of I-376.  Put the Sure-kill in Philly in there as well.  They're bad enough that I might reverse my stand on proposed highway tolls transferring to Philly and Pittsburgh, if they would use the money to completely rebuild those two highways to modern standards and width adequate to traffic levels.  Given it's Pennsylvania, I know that will never happen.  :pan:

Agreed...I grew up there.  MAYBE you might get enough money to six lane between King of Prussia and the Blue Route.  Between the Blue Route and City Avenue?  Nagahapun.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DeaconG

Anyway...to get back on track:

I always had a soft spot for the Lee Roy Selmon in Tampa (I used to call the western part the fastest non-moving roller coaster in the South).  I'm also partial to the John Land Apopka Expressway (SR 414), the Delaware Expressway in Philly and the John Hanson (US 50) in the DC metro area.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

MeanMeosh

In terms of sheer monstrosity, few compare to the rebuilt Katy Freeway (I-10) between I-610 and TX-6 on the west side of Houston.  14 through lanes to Beltway 8, and 12 from there to TX-6 (4 toll lanes in the middle, the rest free lanes).  TX-288 south of Houston down to I-610 is also interesting for its super wide median, a leftover of Houston's monster freeway plan of the 50s which called for 6 express lanes in the middle of the 8 lane freeway.

I-45 south of Dallas also gives you some great, uncluttered views of downtown at night when headed northbound.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.