News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: rarnold on February 29, 2020, 10:18:06 PM
For a state that contracted the first miles of the interstate system, they have completely botched I-70. A truck only lane and putting those lanes in the median is a joke, right? Traffic counts will only go up from here and the system is overcrowded now, along with Missouri's penchant to use band-aids to cover over major problems, this will end badly at the current pace.

Three lanes in each direction, portions of the route four lanes, and bypass Columbia completely would be a place to start. MoDOT needs to get ahold of the situation quickly because states like Iowa will solve the problem and truck traffic will avoid Missouri like the plague. Maybe letting go of some of the supplemental system or raising taxes(or both) will be the only way to avoid this disaster.

I agree with all your statements regarding how to properly rebuild I-70. Three lanes in each direction, especially if they prohibit truck and trailer traffic from the left lane, would solve congestion far more than a separated truck lane.  Bypassing Columbia will be tougher than adding an extra lane in each direction thanks to all the new construction on the north side of I-70 in the last 20 years.

Traffic won't divert to Iowa. Part of the appeal of Missouri is it has some of the absolute cheapest gasoline taxes in the country.

MODOT should just tell everyone they're going to rebuild I-70 from Blue Springs to Wentzville with three lanes in each direction. Progress will proceed based on funding. Considering they just got around to beginning the last work on I-49 on the Arkansas border, I wouldn't count on anything being done for a while.

ilpt4u

Traffic from the North could divert to I-72/US 36 across Missouri if I-70 is really in THAT bad of shape...Heck, even from Indy and points east it is not THAT much longer to use I-74/I-72/US 36/I-35 to reach KC

I haven't driven across MO in quite a few years, but reports here have consistently been that I-70 needs upgrades between STL and KC

ChiMilNet

Quote from: skluth on March 01, 2020, 08:47:28 PM
For a state that contracted the first miles of the interstate system, they have completely botched I-70. A truck only lane and putting those lanes in the median is a joke, right? Traffic counts will only go up from here and the system is overcrowded now, along with Missouri's penchant to use band-aids to cover over major problems, this will end badly at the current pace.

Three lanes in each direction, portions of the route four lanes, and bypass Columbia completely would be a place to start. MoDOT needs to get ahold of the situation quickly because states like Iowa will solve the problem and truck traffic will avoid Missouri like the plague. Maybe letting go of some of the supplemental system or raising taxes(or both) will be the only way to avoid this disaster.

I agree with all your statements regarding how to properly rebuild I-70. Three lanes in each direction, especially if they prohibit truck and trailer traffic from the left lane, would solve congestion far more than a separated truck lane.  Bypassing Columbia will be tougher than adding an extra lane in each direction thanks to all the new construction on the north side of I-70 in the last 20 years.

Traffic won't divert to Iowa. Part of the appeal of Missouri is it has some of the absolute cheapest gasoline taxes in the country.

MODOT should just tell everyone they're going to rebuild I-70 from Blue Springs to Wentzville with three lanes in each direction. Progress will proceed based on funding. Considering they just got around to beginning the last work on I-49 on the Arkansas border, I wouldn't count on anything being done for a while.

I went to college at Mizzou, and I lost count of how many times traffic got backed up on I-70 because of congestion or an accident. It has been in need of upgrades for many years. The section through Columbia, in particular, needs a complete rebuild. In a city of 120,000+, there are still only two lanes each way, short merges, and a narrow median. On top of it, you basically have a Breezewood situation to connect from I-70 to US 63 (the main N-S Freeway in Columbia). Despite some minor capacity improvements, that interchange is still prone to backups, especially during MU Football games. Another other really bad section is between Wentzville Parkway and Route Z in Wentzville, with a sharp and narrow curve going under a railroad overpass. I have to ask what they heck they were thinking on that even in the late 50s?! Finally, a section in Western Montgomery County that goes into a large valley with no truck climbing lanes despite a notable include, and I cannot count how many times I have had to race around trucks before that climb to avoid being stuck behind them. There are already plans to replace the Missouri River bridge West of Columbia, and those three sections need to be next after that!

mvak36

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 01, 2020, 11:53:13 PM

I went to college at Mizzou, and I lost count of how many times traffic got backed up on I-70 because of congestion or an accident. It has been in need of upgrades for many years. The section through Columbia, in particular, needs a complete rebuild. In a city of 120,000+, there are still only two lanes each way, short merges, and a narrow median. On top of it, you basically have a Breezewood situation to connect from I-70 to US 63 (the main N-S Freeway in Columbia). Despite some minor capacity improvements, that interchange is still prone to backups, especially during MU Football games. Another other really bad section is between Wentzville Parkway and Route Z in Wentzville, with a sharp and narrow curve going under a railroad overpass. I have to ask what they heck they were thinking on that even in the late 50s?! Finally, a section in Western Montgomery County that goes into a large valley with no truck climbing lanes despite a notable include, and I cannot count how many times I have had to race around trucks before that climb to avoid being stuck behind them. There are already plans to replace the Missouri River bridge West of Columbia, and those three sections need to be next after that!

They did win a grant last year for the new I-70 bridge and the Minneola truck climbing lanes. https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/grants/344906/fy2019-infra-fact-sheets.pdf

As for the rest, I am hoping they at least do it piecemeal with the worst areas first. The sections you mentioned in Columbia and Wentzville should be the first ones. I remember back in 2014 when they were trying to pass that Amendment 7, they wanted to do it all at once. I hope they're still not thinking like that and they at least make incremental progress, which is better than the no progress now.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

This has always struck me as odd. Although Interstate 29's mile 0 is at its interchange with Interstate 35, Interstate 29 continues co-designated with 35 for another 5 miles before terminating at Interstate 70. Shouldn't Interstate 29's mileage and exit numbers count upwards from it's terminus at Interstate 70 instead of from its terminus at Interstate 35 (29's Exits 1A through 1E would be 5A through 5E, etc.)? It kind of reminds me of the southern-most segment of US 75 in Texas. At Interstate 30, Interstate 45 becomes unsigned Interstate 345 (signed as US 75), and 45's Exit sequence continues to Spur 366, where US 75's mileage and exit numbering take over.

ozarkman417

In addition to the lowest tax on tobacco in the country.

Time and time again, there have been proposals to toll that section of I-70, though I think it would be a good idea to leave the area around Columbia a free road.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 02, 2020, 05:34:21 PM
This has always struck me as odd. Although Interstate 29's mile 0 is at its interchange with Interstate 35, Interstate 29 continues co-designated with 35 for another 5 miles before terminating at Interstate 70. Shouldn't Interstate 29's mileage and exit numbers count upwards from it's terminus at Interstate 70 instead of from its terminus at Interstate 35 (29's Exits 1A through 1E would be 5A through 5E, etc.)? It kind of reminds me of the southern-most segment of US 75 in Texas. At Interstate 30, Interstate 45 becomes unsigned Interstate 345 (signed as US 75), and 45's Exit sequence continues to Spur 366, where US 75's mileage and exit numbering take over.
That's where it should be the duplex with 35 is pointless and should be eliminated.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 01, 2020, 10:01:27 PM
MoDOT is holding a virtual public meeting for widening US 60 in Springfield between National Avenue and US 65.

Oh boy, this layout won't fly.

A lot of traffic coming down Republic Road to get to the Towne Centre shopping area. They will just go up National instead.

Is Nature Center Road really driving that much traffic into where Republic and Glenstone meet?

I would just bridge Republic over the James River Freeway and connect it to Republic Road on the other side. Then take Nature's Way and bridge it over the James River Freeway to the north and intersect it with Republic and put the roundabout there.

Stub Nature's Way so there is no access to it south of the James River Freeway unless you go down Republic further.

This plan looks way to cheap and short term.

ozarkman417

I am curious as to how MoDOT will be signing the western part of the 60/65 interchange now that there will be a new traffic pattern, removing the current option lane setup.
The final set of signs leading up to the interchange may very will look like this setup on the north side. As for the BGSs leading up to it.. Something like this? It may be a month or two before that info is released, around the time when bids are announced.
Quote from: edwaleni on April 02, 2020, 12:50:25 PM
MoDOT is holding a virtual public meeting for widening US 60 in Springfield between National Avenue and US 65.

Is Nature Center Road really driving that much traffic into where Republic and Glenstone meet?

Stub Nature's Way so there is no access to it south of the James River Freeway unless you go down Republic further.
Much of the Farmer's Park Plaza was developed immediately after the partial reconstruction of the Glenstone interchange in 2008. What I would have done before the area got consumed by development was route the Nature Center Way down to the Lark/Harvard intersection (about a block south of Republic) and have a roundabout there.   

skluth

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 02, 2020, 10:26:14 PM
I am curious as to how MoDOT will be signing the western part of the 60/65 interchange now that there will be a new traffic pattern, removing the current option lane setup.
The final set of signs leading up to the interchange may very will look like this setup on the north side. As for the BGSs leading up to it.. Something like this? It may be a month or two before that info is released, around the time when bids are announced.
Quote from: edwaleni on April 02, 2020, 12:50:25 PM

Much of the Farmer's Park Plaza was developed immediately after the partial reconstruction of the Glenstone interchange in 2008. What I would have done before the area got consumed by development was route the Nature Center Way down to the Lark/Harvard intersection (about a block south of Republic) and have a roundabout there.
I'm not a fan of small, multi-lane roundabouts in urban areas. However, in my experience large ones work relatively well. So I completely redesigned the interchange with one large roundabout. There's too much business (specifically a budget Hilton, but a few others who would also greatly object to losing their current access) to make Nature Center Way a stub. So how's this?

All old ramps and bridges are gone. The roundabout is mostly two lanes, though there are merge areas where it widens to three lanes and between EB East Republic and Nature Center Way is four lanes. One lane would exit at Nature Center Way. Three lanes continue to the entrance ramp for EB US 60 where one dedicated lane exits the roundabout.

There is currently no pedestrian/bike crossing, so I added one. I repurposed the cut on the current ramp from NB South Harvard so that a bridge could be built on the EB US 60 exit ramp. The ped/bike lane then crosses US 60 on the west roundabout bridge before using a crosswalk (not the best solution but probably more than enough) over the WB US 60 entrance ramp and continuing up Glenstone. 

Honestly, I've never been through the area even though I lived in St Louis for 26 years. This is probably more expensive than using the existing bridges, though IIRC this highway is 20-25 years old so new bridges wouldn't be totally out of the question. I think this is easier to navigate, keeps traffic flowing better, and solves the current pedestrian access omission. It's my strawman, so have at it.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 02, 2020, 06:35:11 PM

In addition to the lowest tax on tobacco in the country.

Time and time again, there have been proposals to toll that section of I-70, though I think it would be a good idea to leave the area around Columbia a free road.

As a student at MU, please... leave that section free.

Once we go back to school in person, at least.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 06, 2020, 12:14:10 AM

As a student at MU, please... leave that section free.

Once we go back to school in person, at least.

Good point, but what about HOT(High-occupancy toll lanes) or ETL(Express toll) lanes while the main lanes stay free?

ozarkman417

The new lanes between Springfield and Willard on US 160 are finally starting to be paved. The project started in July.
Photo from MoDOT Southwest District Instagram

SM-G965U

ozarkman417

According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.

mvak36

https://www.kmbc.com/article/plans-to-replace-the-buck-oneil-bridge-hit-snag/32022939
KANSAS CITY, Mo. –

The plans to replace the Buck O'Neil Bridge are stalled for now.

Economic uncertainty is one of them, just because the city and the region are taking a serious hit.

"So before we are signing onto contracts and that sort of thing, we want to make sure the money is there," Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said.

It is estimated that it will cost $250 million to replace the bridge. It breaks down like this: $100 million from the state, which owns the bridge; $60 million from Kansas City; $40 million from the Missouri side of the region, through the Mid-America Regional Council; and $24 million from Washington, D.C.

The project is short $26 million. Two alternatives include, having the city and the state split the difference, or see if Washington, D.C., has more infrastructure money in a COVID-19 stimulus bill.

"That's the sort of thing where you would have the Buck O'Neil Bridge project ready for, and as, a shovel-ready project," Lucas said.

That is an idea and not a hard plan.

This is a complex project. There are railroad tracks on two sides of the bridge and then there is the Missouri River.

The plan is to have the new bridge connect to Interstate 35. Despite cutbacks, MoDOT has its bridge money in a special account. A lobbyist told the City Council Thursday that means, it is "about as solid as you could make it."

So right now, it's a question of details. But if the delay continues, it could become a serious question.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more projects being delayed since people aren't driving as much. This bridge and the I-70 Rocheport bridge are the next two major bridges slated for replacement.

rte66man

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 10, 2020, 12:12:06 PM
According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.

Why demolish it? If it is structurally unsound, close it off to vehicular traffic and let bikes use it. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on April 10, 2020, 03:06:36 PM

Why demolish it? If it is structurally unsound, close it off to vehicular traffic and let bikes use it. 

The state doesn't want to be responsible.  HOWEVER: the Missouri Route 66 association is negotiating buying it for a bike/pedestrian path.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on April 17, 2020, 04:26:55 PM
Quote from: rte66man on April 10, 2020, 03:06:36 PM

The state doesn't want to be responsible.  HOWEVER: the Missouri Route 66 association is negotiating buying it for a bike/pedestrian path.

The embankments are sinking (probably due to recent flooding) that is why they closed it.  The pylons are in good shape. Some of the rebar is starting to poke up through the asphalt.

Even for bike use, its a bumpy ride across due to all of the patching over the years. If whomever bought it, they would have to scrape off the bitumen, inspect the crossbars for rust before they resurface it.

The embankments will need remediation so another flood event doesn't cause them to collapse.

https://bridgereports.com/1291524

Inspection report (as of December 2014)
Owner:   State Highway Agency
Year built:   1922
Historic significance:   Bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18 (out of 100)
Recommended work:   Replacement of bridge or other structure because of substandard load carrying capacity or substantial bridge roadway geometry. [31]
Estimated cost of work:   $2,533,000

US71

I've reached out "Roamin Rich" Dinklea who's the MO 66 President to see if there are any updates.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

MODOT has two different proposed concepts for the MO 125 and US 60 interchange at their new virtual public meeting. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Concept three is a partial cloverleaf with roundabouts on both sides, while concept two is a diamond interchange with roundabouts on both sides, but this one will be away from the existing junction.
https://www.modot.org/route-60-route-125-interchange
Which design do you think is the best for this interchange? I'm going to go with concept two, based on the advantages/disadvantages document found on the linked page.

edwaleni

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 22, 2020, 01:35:31 PM
MODOT has two different proposed concepts for the MO 125 and US 60 interchange at their new virtual public meeting. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Concept three is a partial cloverleaf with roundabouts on both sides, while concept two is a diamond interchange with roundabouts on both sides, but this one will be away from the existing junction.
https://www.modot.org/route-60-route-125-interchange
Which design do you think is the best for this interchange? I'm going to go with concept two, based on the advantages/disadvantages document found on the linked page.

I think it will confuse the elderly.  The roundabouts have to be able to support 40 foot semi trailers and this route sees a large number of trucks, if service facilities are built nearby.

There are enough videos on You Tube showing mayhem of cars trying to navigate ROW on a roundabout with a semi involved.

rte66man

It seems as if they are in love with roundabouts without thinking this through like edwaleni said. Semis will have a tough time making a NB to WB or SB to EB turn.  Seems like a good place for a DDI.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mvak36

Quote from: rte66man on April 23, 2020, 12:38:23 PM
It seems as if they are in love with roundabouts without thinking this through like edwaleni said. Semis will have a tough time making a NB to WB or SB to EB turn.  Seems like a good place for a DDI.
Yes. I agree. Unless I am missing something, there is no need to complicate it so much. Just build a DDI (or even a regular diamond) and be done with it.

skluth

Quote from: mvak36 on April 23, 2020, 03:53:47 PM
Quote from: rte66man on April 23, 2020, 12:38:23 PM
Yes. I agree. Unless I am missing something, there is no need to complicate it so much. Just build a DDI (or even a regular diamond) and be done with it.
I'm a fan of roundabouts, but as I said above in regards to a different project I don't like small roundabouts in or near urban areas; the combination of heavy traffic and trucks negotiating a circle is too dangerous. Concept three would be good if you were building a new exit at Seymour or anywhere east of that to Poplar Bluff. Concept two looks like someone took advantage of Illinois recent cannabis legalization and decided to design an art deco interchange. Neither is a good idea where planned.

I think a regular diamond would be enough as long as you make the crossing on MO 125 four lanes. This is close enough to Springfield that eventually (and possibly quite soon) there will be too much commercial truck traffic for a small roundabout. I'd prefer a regular diamond unless it's going to be immediately signaled in which case there's no point in waiting to build the inevitable DDI. It's not too difficult to design a diamond with the intention of converting it to a DDI in the future.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.