News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-wide county road naming systems

Started by usends, July 25, 2013, 02:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: pianocello on July 29, 2013, 11:04:00 PM
I was wondering about the Dxx and Rxx highways in Peoria County I've seen on maps, including the Peoria County Highway Department map. It looks like a few (if not all) of them are signed (GSV link). Do you think that would have been the same idea?

It appears Peoria County would be far enough south to be in the D range so it's certainly possible.

kinupanda

Quote from: route56 on August 02, 2013, 03:00:15 AM
You're one for two on the county roads near Parker.

41127 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
A signed county road concurrency?! *jaw drop*

Big John

Quote from: kinupanda on August 04, 2013, 09:41:22 PM

That is not uncommon in Wisconsin.  You even have instances of concurrences of county highways with state or US highways.

froggie

QuoteA signed county road concurrency?! *jaw drop*

That is not uncommon in Wisconsin.  You even have instances of concurrences of county highways with state or US highways.

The former is also occasionally seen in Minnesota.  The latter is pretty rare (can't think of one offhand, save perhaps US 169/Hennepin CSAH 1)...

NE2

Florida too (which makes sense since most county roads are former state roads, with signs swapped out ca. 1980). New Jersey often (usually?) signs overlaps of 5xx county routes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

route56

I got a one-up for you, then:

44873 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on August 05, 2013, 01:07:01 AMThe latter is pretty rare (can't think of one offhand, save perhaps US 169/Hennepin CSAH 1)...

I feel like I remember a US-71/county concurrency in Beltrami county.  near here, though not this picture, obviously.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

I swear I remember a section on I-287 SB that was signed concurrently with a COUNTY ROUTE... (However THAT happened) but my GMSV attempts have yielded nothing so far.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on August 05, 2013, 11:58:11 PM
I swear I remember a section on I-287 SB that was signed concurrently with a COUNTY ROUTE... (However THAT happened) but my GMSV attempts have yielded nothing so far.
Don't think there's any on I-287, but I-295 and CR 551 overlap at Deepwater. No reassurance signage for it and minimal trailblazers.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 05, 2013, 01:07:01 AM

The former is also occasionally seen in Minnesota.  The latter is pretty rare (can't think of one offhand, save perhaps US 169/Hennepin CSAH 1)...
U.S. 52 freeway/Olmsted CSAH 12 in Oronoco is a signed County/U.S. concurrency. Surprisingly, 52/CSAH 22 isn't. Maybe they were thinking ahead and thought there wasn't any room for signing U.S. 52, U.S. 63, and CSAH 22.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

QuoteU.S. 52 freeway/Olmsted CSAH 12 in Oronoco is a signed County/U.S. concurrency. Surprisingly, 52/CSAH 22 isn't. Maybe they were thinking ahead and thought there wasn't any room for signing U.S. 52, U.S. 63, and CSAH 22.

No, the plan is to eventually turnback the 37th St NW segment of CSAH 22 to the city, once 55th is connected to North Broadway.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on August 06, 2013, 12:14:22 AM
Don't think there's any on I-287, but I-295 and CR 551 overlap at Deepwater. No reassurance signage for it and minimal trailblazers.
I could have sworn there was one with I-287 and CR 511 (or its alternate) but it looks like I was mistaken and/or thinking of US 202 and 511.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
QuoteU.S. 52 freeway/Olmsted CSAH 12 in Oronoco is a signed County/U.S. concurrency. Surprisingly, 52/CSAH 22 isn't. Maybe they were thinking ahead and thought there wasn't any room for signing U.S. 52, U.S. 63, and CSAH 22.

No, the plan is to eventually turnback the 37th St NW segment of CSAH 22 to the city, once 55th is connected to North Broadway.
Ok, that makes sense.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hobsini2

Quote from: froggie on August 05, 2013, 01:07:01 AM

The concurrences in Wisconsin are mainly because of a matter of convenience to not use more than 1 letter for a logical routing.  For example, Let's take Dodge and Green Lake County A.

Hwy A starts at Wis 26 south of Juneau and heads north-northwest 17 miles to Fox Lake.  Just before Fox Lake, Hwy C joins A for a short 1/2 mile to connect to Wis 68. Both Hwy A and C follow Wis 68 for a 1/4 mile to Wis 33.  Hwy C turns South (East 33) while Hwy A continues west on 33 for 2 miles before turning north.  After 5 miles, Hwy A comes to Hwy AW which is the county line. Hwy A turns east on AW for 1/4 mile before turning north again to enter Green Lake County. Hwy A continues north 8 miles to Wis 44 before another short 1/2 mile cosign east and turn north again.  Hwy A goes another 8 miles north to Wis 23/49 on the east side of Green Lake. Hwy A, prior to a reroute about 10 years ago, used to go through Downtown Green Lake. Hwy A cosigns with 23 for 1 1/2 miles before turning north again 2 miles to Hwy J. Turns west for 1/2 mile before turning north again.  It goes another 6 1/2 miles before finally ending at Wis 49 just south of Berlin.

If each turn off of a state highway cosign was a new letter, the route would need 5 letters instead of 1 for a length of 51 3/4 miles.

BTW, someone asked if there was a "system" for the letters in Wisconsin. As far as I know, the letters are somewhat random however sometimes they have some logic behind the letter chosen. Hwy KR, for example, is the county line between Kenosha and Racine Counties. Also pretty frequently one county will carry over the previous county letter such as Hwy A that I described earlier and Shawano/Outagamie/Winnebago/Fond du Lac/Dodge County M.

The one thing that a traveler must realize is that sometimes when a county route enters an incorporated area the highway letter is not always signed until you leave town again.  For a long time, even though Hwy T went in to Princeton on Farmer St, it just seemed to disappear. The DOT has since rectified that with signage for Hwy T off of Wis 23/73.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

formulanone

Quote from: route56 on August 05, 2013, 10:30:07 PM
I got a one-up for you, then:

Quote from: NE2 on August 05, 2013, 01:22:07 AM
Florida too (which makes sense since most county roads are former state roads, with signs swapped out ca. 1980).

The only one in Florida I've ever seen signed in the field was this pair just north of Clermont:

Perhaps when 561 was a state-maintained, they were both signed together, but retained for forgetfulness/legacy reasons?

Rover_0

Quote from: route56 on August 02, 2013, 03:00:15 AM
Quote from: apeman33 on August 02, 2013, 02:15:54 AM
The route that links Blue Mound and Parker is marked 1077 on Google maps. I knew it was a county route but I couldn't have guessed the number. I think those are Linn County's only north-south marked routes.

Linn County 566 serves as a shortcut for people who want to get from Parker to Blue Mound without having to go up through Mound City.

You're one for two on the county roads near Parker.

41127 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr

I'm quite surprised about a two-county concurrency, but someone, somewhere was going to sign it.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Rover_0 on August 07, 2013, 03:49:23 PMtwo-county concurrency

now that would be something else, akin the OK-20/AR-43 co-signing.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Closest thing I've found to a two-county concurrency was this detour sign in Black Hawk County, Iowa:

C57 was the actual road, because C50 was partially under construction.

Rover_0

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2013, 04:18:33 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on August 07, 2013, 03:49:23 PMtwo-county concurrency

now that would be something else, akin the OK-20/AR-43 co-signing.

Two-county *route* concurrency. (Doy!)

But I'm sure such a thing exists if one of us looks hard enough.

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

elsmere241

There's one somewhere south of Madison, Wisconsin.  The signs say "County T" and "County MM", referring to separate counties' designations.

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on August 07, 2013, 01:39:45 PM
The only one in Florida I've ever seen signed in the field was this pair just north of Clermont:
Others I've seen signed (not necessarily with reassurance) include:
SR 50/CR 33 (signed westbound; eastbound is SR 33)
SR 46/CR 437
US 301/CR 470
US 301/CR 462
SR 60/CR 17B

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on August 07, 2013, 09:01:47 PM
Others I've seen signed (not necessarily with reassurance) include:
US 301...

Oh, that's right; CR 48 and US 301.

froggie

Quotetwo-county concurrency,

Ramsey CSAH 72/Washington CSAH 25, along the former MN 120 south of I-94 in the St. Paul suburbs.  Yes, both are signed.  I have photos, but not in a position where I can post them, being out to sea of course.  Perhaps Monte (Castleman) could oblige us?

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 06, 2013, 12:55:35 AM
Quote from: NE2 on August 06, 2013, 12:14:22 AM
I could have sworn there was one with I-287 and CR 511 (or its alternate) but it looks like I was mistaken and/or thinking of US 202 and 511.
ALT 694 was signed along I-287 when a short piece of it opened north of NJ 23, but there is no NJ multiplex of a county route on any freeway (let alone Interstate) other than the aforementioned 551/295. Now, as for a standalone pentagon shield on a freeway, the only one I know of is a CR 525 on I-287.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on August 09, 2013, 07:32:37 PM
ALT 694 was signed along I-287 when a short piece of it opened north of NJ 23, but there is no NJ multiplex of a county route on any freeway (let alone Interstate) other than the aforementioned 551/295.
501/440, sort of.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.