News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd Aussie highway

Started by Alps, October 17, 2013, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

In Tasmania, NR1 junctions itself south of Launceston. While the part north into the city is really just a spur, all of the legs are signed as 1, so it really counts as a 3-legged route. Does this happen anywhere else in the country?

NE2

Don't know about Aussieland, but it's all over Mexico.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

here in the US, we have I-710.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 17, 2013, 09:43:03 PM
here in the US, we have I-710.
Which is not signed to go two different ways heading southbound, making it a simple case of implied 'to'.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

you're right.  710 isn't signed on all branches.

the Hell?  does Australia not have a tradition of banners like SPUR?  if so, it is very much like Mexico as you defined.

I can't think of anywhere else, except for roads that loop back to end at themselves.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 17, 2013, 10:03:31 PM
you're right.  710 isn't signed on all branches.

the Hell?  does Australia not have a tradition of banners like SPUR?  if so, it is very much like Mexico as you defined.

I can't think of anywhere else, except for roads that loop back to end at themselves.
I haven't come across this problem anywhere else in my route, but my route does not delve very deeply into most of the states' networks.

Molandfreak

Apparently NH1 also junctions itself in the Northern Territory. http://goo.gl/maps/zTFQx

The routings to the south and west of Katherine are the implied mainline, though 1 changes from a national highway to a national route east of Daly Waters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_1_(Northern_Territory)

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

TCN7JM

I don't know what I'd do if I saw this in the USA. Already confusing enough for some people to drive in some places in this country, it wouldn't help for routes to intersect themselves.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

Molandfreak

Wasn't I-865 in Indy also renumbered because of generally the same problem that I-465 intersected itself?
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

US 281 does this at Pha Pha Pharr, TX. To the west is defined as a spur (and as Spur 241), but signs show it as another mainline (signed east-west, as is the official mainline to Brownsville).
Coming off the bridge from Mexico you see this:

and then this:

More photos: http://www.usends.com/80-89/281/281.html

Brandon

In the US, IL-172 used to have three legs until 1974.  One leg went south, one went east, and one went west.  The west leg was dropped.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

english si

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 17, 2013, 10:03:31 PMthe Hell?  does Australia not have a tradition of banners like SPUR?
As far as I am aware, banners of any sort (Business, Spur, Bypass, Truck) are a distinctly American tradition.

We have a lot of these, in the UK, though looking at some of the more egrious ones (including two locations where 2 spurs heading off in different directions from the same junction, making the road look like it crosses itself), we tend to avoid signing them as such - using Bracketed routes* at the junction, even if afterwards it is signed as the route it is (on route confirmation signs, at any junction on the spur, etc)

However*effectively 'To' banners, which most countries have in some form, unlike the other ones.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

I haven't come across this problem anywhere else in my route, but my route does not delve very deeply into most of the states' networks.

Some Virginia state facility routes have multiple posted branches off one another...

Ones with actual route shields on their internal postings: 357, 358, 369
Honorable mentions: 319 and 376 which are posted with shields only at connections with other primary routes but have gobs of rectangle postings at multiple branching intersections within their respective facilities...

Mapmikey

hotdogPi

MA 127 used to end at itself.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NE2

No comments on the real world example of US 281? You guys suck.

Molandfreak

Someone sets himself on a high pedestal, above the rest of us peasants.

NE2

Scott5114

Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2013, 09:25:06 PM
In Tasmania, NR1 junctions itself south of Launceston. While the part north into the city is really just a spur, all of the legs are signed as 1, so it really counts as a 3-legged route. Does this happen anywhere else in the country?

Happens twice in Oklahoma. OK 63A is a Y-shaped route (3 termini). One end connects to OK 1/63, and the route forks off in two directions.

OK 77S has four termini. The main part of the route is a U-shaped highway around Lake Murray. Two spurs branch off from this route to I-35 and OK-32.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 21, 2013, 03:17:23 AM
Happens twice in Oklahoma. OK 63A is a Y-shaped route (3 termini). One end connects to OK 1/63, and the route forks off in two directions.
This seems to be signed only at the south end based on the Goog and http://www.okhighways.com/ok63a.html

PS: love those Oknoname Reservoirs.

OK 77S has four termini. The main part of the route is a U-shaped highway around Lake Murray. Two spurs branch off from this route to I-35 and OK-32.
This one doesn't look to be fully signed, but has enough signs to be weird: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.071218,-97.101717&spn=0.028972,0.056691&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=34.071117,-97.101688&panoid=-FXvtQ9_lNd2Ly6TX_CP6Q&cbp=12,17.3,,0,2.13 and reassurance behind.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on October 19, 2013, 08:40:38 PM
No comments on the real world example of US 281? You guys suck.
I wanted to find out in particular if this happens elsewhere in Australia. I'm well aware of other real-world examples.

Bickendan

Two I can think of offhand: I-895 in Baltimore (that spur really should be an I-97 extension), and OR 223 in Dallas, a complete three-legged highway.

Alps

Quote from: Bickendan on November 27, 2013, 12:06:00 AM
Two I can think of offhand: I-895 in Baltimore (that spur really should be an I-97 extension), and OR 223 in Dallas, a complete three-legged highway.
The spurs aren't part of I-895, they're numbered 895A and 895B. And aren't in Australia at all.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 17, 2013, 11:13:32 PM
I don't know what I'd do if I saw this in the USA. Already confusing enough for some people to drive in some places in this country, it wouldn't help for routes to intersect themselves.

Aside from driving on the left, that really looks very "American."

The BGS seems pretty clear to me.

The light poles look very much like Delaware DOT-standard.

EDIT:  I see what you mean after  looking at the map.  Seems like Route 1 headed north as Midland Highway ought to be bannered as SPUR or BUSINESS SPUR (if those are allowed in Australia).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bugo

Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2013, 09:25:06 PM

You wouldn't know it by signage.  There are no OK 63A signs at the split or anywhere other than just north of OK 1/63.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 27, 2013, 08:54:58 PM
EDIT:  I see what you mean after  looking at the map.  Seems like Route 1 headed north as Midland Highway ought to be bannered as SPUR or BUSINESS SPUR (if those are allowed in Australia).
I think the idea is that the three largest cities are along Highway 1 and the National Route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.