News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The actual Worst of Road Signs

Started by Alex, October 09, 2020, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: LilianaUwU on August 07, 2021, 09:35:15 PM
I often see signs that could maybe fit here, but this time I found one that's absolutely worthy of the thread:

Original size

This "local traffic only" sign isn't even a sign, it's two pieces of paper pasted onto a sign blank.

That's not even binge drinking in the sign shop, that's phoning it in after the night of binge drinking.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 17, 2021, 02:20:29 AM
↑ I mean, that definitely qualifies as...

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM
Stuff that should only result from a night of binge drinking at the sign shop.
I recall a sign near Fond du Lac WI with "Intoxicating" spelled wrong.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Brandon on October 17, 2021, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on August 07, 2021, 09:35:15 PM
I often see signs that could maybe fit here, but this time I found one that's absolutely worthy of the thread:

Original size

This "local traffic only" sign isn't even a sign, it's two pieces of paper pasted onto a sign blank.

That's not even binge drinking in the sign shop, that's phoning it in after the night of binge drinking.

Does this mean I win a prize?  :bigass:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

renegade

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 17, 2021, 12:33:35 PMDoes this mean I win a prize?  :bigass:
How does a no-expenses-paid tour of the hills of Illinois hosted by Cra_shIt sound?    :clap:  :spin:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

fillup420

vdeane

Quote from: renegade on October 17, 2021, 01:27:37 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 17, 2021, 12:33:35 PMDoes this mean I win a prize?  :bigass:
How does a no-expenses-paid tour of the hills of Illinois hosted by Cra_shIt sound?    :clap:  :spin:
You mean the haunted hills of Illinois?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Brandon

Quote from: plain on October 17, 2021, 08:31:27 PM
I was here a half hour ago and saw this dumb shit.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QBHFK1a1Z9G4Ai2s9

Not much wrong with it.  It's actually a nice looking assembly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

plain

Quote from: Brandon on October 17, 2021, 08:43:50 PM
Quote from: plain on October 17, 2021, 08:31:27 PM
I was here a half hour ago and saw this dumb shit.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QBHFK1a1Z9G4Ai2s9

Not much wrong with it.  It's actually a nice looking assembly.

They're typical Richmond unisigns but the placement of the routes could've been much better (like the rest of them at the intersection)

LilianaUwU

Quote from: renegade on October 17, 2021, 01:27:37 PM

From what I read in the thread, no.
—Mr. Thwomp

webny99

This pair of advance guide signs for I-24 on I-840 are a total train wreck... first of all, the diagrammatic shows four lanes when there's only three existing, so how are you supposed to know which side gets an extra lane? but even worse, there is no extra lane! I call that a diagrammatic disaster. Hopefully these get replaced with APL's soon.

LilianaUwU

Here's, uh, whatever this is on NS-111 in downtown Halifax:

(Street View)
—Mr. Thwomp

plain

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 02, 2021, 10:48:04 PM

(Street View)

I know Canada is more relaxed with their standards but 3 different fonts on the same gantry is pretty ridiculous.

FrCorySticha

(Street View)

If I didn't know better, I would swear that was a very bad MS Paint job.

Max Rockatansky

GenExpwy

Quote from: plain on December 03, 2021, 02:26:27 PM

(Street View)

I know Canada is more relaxed with their standards but 3 different fonts on the same gantry is pretty ridiculous.

3 different fonts
3 different letter heights
3 different arrows
3 different borders
3 different mounting heights

LilianaUwU

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 04, 2021, 03:09:21 AM
Quote from: plain on December 03, 2021, 02:26:27 PM

(Street View)

3 different fonts
3 different letter heights
3 different arrows
3 different borders
3 different mounting heights

3 different nights of binge drinking at the sign shop.
—Mr. Thwomp

LilianaUwU

As pointed out by plain in the Department of Redundancy Department thread, this Oklahoma special probably belongs here:

(Street View, post by plain)
—Mr. Thwomp

MCRoads

There is a sign at a local shopping plaza that is really terrible. It isn't as bad as any of these, but it will probably cause (if it hasn't already) an accident. The sign is about 1'x2' and says, on 4 lines of probably 6in text, says: "INCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" . What it is trying to say is, although the road has 4 directions of traffic, it is only a 3 way stop. What it probably should have is "3-WAY"  placard, with a sign underneath that says "LEFT/RIGHT/OPPOSITE TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" , similar to the "CROSS TRAFFIC DIES NOT STOP"  placard:
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadfro

Quote from: MCRoads on December 13, 2021, 11:58:23 AM
There is a sign at a local shopping plaza that is really terrible. It isn't as bad as any of these, but it will probably cause (if it hasn't already) an accident. The sign is about 1'x2' and says, on 4 lines of probably 6in text, says: "INCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" . What it is trying to say is, although the road has 4 directions of traffic, it is only a 3 way stop. What it probably should have is "3-WAY"  placard, with a sign underneath that says "LEFT/RIGHT/OPPOSITE TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" , similar to the "CROSS TRAFFIC DIES NOT STOP"  placard:

Doesn't sound like "the actual worst" of signage. But a reply is warranted because it sounds like this situation is somewhat complying with the current MUTCD.

The 2009 MUTCD only allows for the the "ALL WAY" placard to be used with a stop sign–the use of any variant of "#-WAY" placard was specifically disallowed in the manual where the intersection has one or more directions not subject to a stop condition (see Sec 2B.05). Instead, the new standard is to use warning standard placards similar to the one shown. For the situation described above, a W4-4bP "ONCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP" placard would be used–I would guess that the sign described here predates the 2009 MUTCD.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tolbs17

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Courtland should be horizontally centered, and the distance label should be lower.

Scott5114

Also "MILE" should be smaller, "Business" should be in all caps and smaller, the shield pair should be centered to the panel...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.