News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 FIFA World Cup

Started by Bruce, February 20, 2018, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: english si on July 08, 2018, 12:09:17 PM*And we were surely bound to get the "Once more into the breech" speech from Henry V anyway with a captain called Harry. In fact it's odd we haven't yet!
Here's it from 2010 for when England played Germany*. Odd, given 'Fabio' (Capello - the manager then) is not 'Harry', nor does Jerry go 'ribbit'.

*don't mention the VAR! Obviously we can't have broadcasters condoning anti-Nazi sentiment when we play Germany. And the FA gets incredibly touchy - throwing out bans and all - for fans who sing WW2 songs when England play Germany (the favourite being 'Ten German Bombers' about how the 'RAF from England shot them down' in the Battle of Britain).

HazMatt

I don't watch soccer often so this may be the norm, but the way France kept wasting time at the end of the game today seemed very disrespectful.

Bruce

Quote from: HazMatt on July 10, 2018, 07:01:59 PM
I don't watch soccer often so this may be the norm, but the way France kept wasting time at the end of the game today seemed very disrespectful.

It was beyond the usual in terms of time-wasting antics. Usually it's only a few small things like having the ball slowly roll over before a restart, rather than deliberately kicking it away (which warrants a yellow card, like Mbappe's).

I'm really hoping that Croatia goes through so I don't have to cheer for England. Anyone but the French, but the sheer amount of smugness from the English press and fans will be unbearable for the next four (or more) years.

Buck87

Quote from: HazMatt on July 10, 2018, 07:01:59 PM

Agreed....though it was certainly effective, as very little time was added beyond the original 6 minutes they tacked on 

Bruce

Bullet dodged. It's not coming home!

Croatia's run has been a cap for a crazy time in Croatian sport. Back at Euro 2016, fans threw flares on the pitch to protest corruption, the judicial system started rooting out people involved in money transfers and the like (even putting a high-level administrator on trial...and having Modric testify and prejury himself). Now the president, who has been seen attending and even in the dressing room, is trying to piggyback off this World Cup run for next year's election.

CNGL-Leudimin

My prediction: Croatia after extra time :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

nexus73

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 12, 2018, 08:40:46 AM
My prediction: Croatia after extra time :bigass:.

Right about now that looks to be the best prediction one could make...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

CNGL-Leudimin

If there was to be an animal of the Final, it would definitely be the French-Croatian squid :sombrero:. I use this as profanity since its original Chinese name, 法克鱿 Fa Ke You, sounds like "fuck you". It's not the only creative "bad word" I use, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

english si

Here's to the Anti-Football World Cup champions!

And their man of the match, NĂ©stor Pitana - he may have played in a different kit (yellow), but without his weak will, France wouldn't have had either of their first half goals. He gave into Griezeman's dive which France then scored from (or rather Croatia screwed up) the resulting free kick, and let himself be bullied by the VAR referees into giving that incredibly dodgy penalty (France's only shot in the first half).

OK, France did play some football - and excellent football too - but they played it for about 5 minutes, and mucked about for the other 85. Whether they could pull off another minute in the additional half-an-hour that should have been played is a question answered only in a parallel, fairer, universe...

Road Hog

France earned it. They had the tougher bracket by far and got to the final via that route. I tip my chapeau.

Look for reseeding the knockout round to become the next FIFA question.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2018, 05:00:16 PM
France earned it. They had the tougher bracket by far and got to the final via that route. I tip my chapeau.

Look for reseeding the knockout round to become the next FIFA question.

Not going to happen.  They need advance ticket sales so team fans need to know where their team might be playing knockout round games.  Yes, I know it differs depending on whether you finish first or second in your group but fans still buy a lot of advance tickets based on likely locations.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

english si

Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2018, 05:00:16 PMFrance earned it. They had the tougher bracket by far and got to the final via that route. I tip my chapeau.
They beat in the knock-out rounds
  • an Argentine team that Pele reckons his 1970 WC-winning team would beat. Though only 1-0 as they are in their 70s now. They let in 3 against a team that only scored three vs Iceland and Nigeria (and their goals in the Nigeria game were jammy).
  • a Uruguay team with their key play-maker suspended and looked iffy against Egypt (the first team to go out) with the guy
  • a Belgium team missing an important player suspended by playing uber-negative football
As Japan and Russia showed - there weren't really easy games in the knock out phases, nor easy routes. The bracket was tougher on paper, but world rankings were exposed as meaning next-to-nothing...

France are the best team in the same way that Kane was the best goal scorer - true, but only on a technicality. A couple of lucky breaks, and a lot of doing the bare minimum.

Desert Man

VIVE LE FRANCE! (my father's home country, I live in the USA). They won the final match vs Croatia. And Belgium defeats England in the third place (I'm sure many have posted already on the results). I expected the French or Belgians to be third place or something. It's a shame the USA never goes far in the world cup, nor Mexico who has a problem reaching "the fifth game".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Bruce

Grand final is purely a rugby/Aussie thing, rather than soccer.

The main reason that the U.S. struggles to advance past the Round of 16 boils down to player development. The training facilities for players (without giant fees), ability to play hard international opposition or even advance to professional clubs at an early age, and the access to good coaching controlled by the national football association are all factors.

Desert Man

How can I explain this mishap? Nearing 18 minutes, Croatia accidentally gives France it's first goal of the final match (thanx for clearing it up, Bruce).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWekFiufuq0
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Bruce

Own goals are common, especially deflections on set pieces. Nothing to explain here.

But Griezmann's dive to earn that free kick is worth explaining, along with Lloris's gaffe at the end.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on July 19, 2018, 08:16:55 PM
Grand final is purely a rugby/Aussie thing, rather than soccer.

The main reason that the U.S. struggles to advance past the Round of 16 boils down to player development. The training facilities for players (without giant fees), ability to play hard international opposition or even advance to professional clubs at an early age, and the access to good coaching controlled by the national football association are all factors.

All of those are factors, along with the massive amounts of money that can be made playing football/basketball/baseball that isn't available in other countries.  Most European and South American countries get all of their best athletes playing soccer.  In the US soccer has to compete with other sports.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.