News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poll: Who Should Be Awarded The 2026 Winter Olympics This June?

Started by kevinb1994, April 05, 2019, 03:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Should Be Awarded The 2026 Winter Olympics This June?

Milan(o)
4 (25%)
Stockholm
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 18, 2019, 03:41:06 PM

english si

Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 05:11:25 PMRight now...the way I see it...the identity of the Olympics is that of wasted money by the millions on facilities that are never put to use after the games end.
Here we go with the nonsense that every Olympic host city is Atlanta - most facilities are put to use after the 5-ring circus packs up. It's something that the IOC specifically look for now, post-Atlanta.

A permanent Athenian complex would see as much use outside the games as 2004's does now - which as far as you reckon is not at all! The problem you allege is the case isn't fixed by your solution - just that a stadium gets polished every 4 years, sees a month of activity then rots for about 40 months before its time to give it a fresh lick of paint.

Certainly Athens' 15-year-old facilities could be used more, but it's not simply sitting empty - and a key factor in its underuse is the economic problems the country has suffered - unforeseen at the time (well, no - most smart economists could have told you that Greece in the Euro was an inevitable disaster, due to problems with both Greece and the Euro, but it wasn't cool to say it) and nothing to do with the Olympics.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forum_(Inglewood,_California)

The Forum in Inglewood was used for the 1984 Olympics and was the L.A. Lakers Home Court prior to moving to Staples Center two decades ago and Has been a Concert venue ever since.

For Winter Games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Winter_Olympics The Squaw Valley Resort is still used nearly 6 decades after the games were done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw_Valley,_Placer_County,_California

1995hoo

I'm curious why you think Atlanta immediately abandoned all their Olympic facilities.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

I've also read that Atlanta turned an overall profit, so who even cares if the facilities were permanent?

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2019, 12:16:51 PMI'm curious why you think Atlanta immediately abandoned all their Olympic facilities.
I don't.

The nay-sayers' narrative is this idea that the facilities turn into pumpkins as soon as that flame is put out:
Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 05:11:25 PMfacilities that are never put to use after the games end.

And Atlanta is Exhibit A for this nonsense:
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2019, 10:35:17 AM
Quote from: english si on April 06, 2019, 10:07:29 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 09:40:52 AM"Olympic Plazas" that end up as abandoned ghost towns afterwards.
Go visit Stratford sometime...
And then go visit Atlanta.

Atlanta is, I agree with the naysayers, the paramount example of a bad legacy. The loss of the athletics stadium (even though there was a planned sports reuse for most of the physical entity right from the beginning of planning, with the conversion designed in mind) left egg on the IOC's face, and they reacted to stop that embarrassment happening again. That it's not really a bad legacy shows how wrong the naysayers are!

bing101

Quote from: Alps on April 07, 2019, 02:45:43 PM
I've also read that Atlanta turned an overall profit, so who even cares if the facilities were permanent?

Also doesn't some of the Atlanta area stadiums get used for local events too like NFL, NBA and MLB games too along with Bulldogs games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_1996_Summer_Olympics

1995hoo

^^^^

That was part of my point. Atlanta used the Olympics in part to build replacements for old venues that were past their time. For example, the Olympic stadium was designed from the very beginning with the intent that it would be converted to a new baseball stadium after the Olympics were over, and once that was done the old "concrete donut" style stadium (Atlanta—Fulton County Stadium) where the baseball and, formerly, football teams had long played was demolished. If you watched the 1996 Olympics you might recall how the main stadium was not a perfect oval–one end was a different shape. That's because that end was where home plate was after it was converted to Turner Field. (Now that it's no longer used for baseball it's been renovated again into a college football facility.)

To me, doing it that way makes a lot of sense. The city that by all accounts really got it wrong was Montreal in 1976, building a lot of expensive new facilities that didn't have many other uses. But apparently some of the Europeans got all butthurt about the Olympic stadium being converted for baseball instead of being preserved as a useless venue nobody would use, even though the Atlanta OCOG had made it clear from the very beginning that's what was planned.

bing101

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2019, 03:46:12 PM
^^^^

That was part of my point. Atlanta used the Olympics in part to build replacements for old venues that were past their time. For example, the Olympic stadium was designed from the very beginning with the intent that it would be converted to a new baseball stadium after the Olympics were over, and once that was done the old "concrete donut" style stadium (Atlanta—Fulton County Stadium) where the baseball and, formerly, football teams had long played was demolished. If you watched the 1996 Olympics you might recall how the main stadium was not a perfect oval–one end was a different shape. That's because that end was where home plate was after it was converted to Turner Field. (Now that it's no longer used for baseball it's been renovated again into a college football facility.)

To me, doing it that way makes a lot of sense. The city that by all accounts really got it wrong was Montreal in 1976, building a lot of expensive new facilities that didn't have many other uses. But apparently some of the Europeans got all butthurt about the Olympic stadium being converted for baseball instead of being preserved as a useless venue nobody would use, even though the Atlanta OCOG had made it clear from the very beginning that's what was planned.

Atlanta, Los Angeles, Squaw Valley and Salt Lake City has to be one of the few cases where the former Olympic stadiums being converted to either a winter ski resort or the home stadium for local teams and a concert venue in some cases.

1995hoo

Except, as is correctly noted earlier in the thread, the LA Memorial Coliseum was constructed between 1921 and 1923 and became the home of USC football at that time. It was later expanded to allow it to be used for the 1932 Summer Olympics. But it's not really a situation where a "former Olympic stadium" was "converted" for a local sports team–rather, a local team's existing stadium was modified for the Olympics and has continued to be used for its original purpose (as well as becoming the home for many other teams over the years, even a baseball team) through the present day.

I believe I read that the 2028 plans involve using the new NFL stadium (now under construction) as the primary venue, though it won't host track and field and will instead be used for the ceremonies and soccer.

Bruce

It doesn't help that the IOC are usually right behind FIFA in the sports corruption index. Salt Lake City, Atlanta, and Beijing all suffered from some degree of vote bribery.

Vancouver has done well for itself as a recent Olympic host. BC Place is thriving for soccer and CFL, the Whistler venues are thronged with people, the Olympic Village is one of the most livable neighborhoods in North America, and the Canada Line is pretty successful (but was built under capacity).

Stephane Dumas

Had Detroit hosted the 1968 Olympics instead of Mexico, I wondered what could had happened to their olympics facilities after?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_vbDbC0to

If Salt Lake City couldn't host the Winter Olympics, maybe they could try to host the Pan-American games?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.