News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Streets where you are likely to find discarded items in Western NY

Started by place-saint-henri, March 05, 2019, 09:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

place-saint-henri

I did my High School Internship in 1998 with the Irondequoit Police Dept where they had me use GIS to map out all the streets in Western New York. At the time they were trying to cut down on the amount of Leftover Crack on Irondequoit streets for Irondequoit teens to discover.

The results of my finding were the following WNY roads were most likely to see increased  Traffic in 1999.

-Lyell Ave
-N. Clinton Ave
-Rte 104
-Fillmore Ave in Buffalo
-Electric Ave in Lackawanna, NY
-Rte 20 between Alden and Darien Center

What do you think of that road geeks?

Scott5114

I think I'm going to go down to Rte 104 for some Leftover Crack™!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

The police department wanted young kids to find drugs for them?

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

This has to be one of the weirdest threads I've seen that's actually road-related.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

The roads of Alanland are full of crack, except where they aren't.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Western NY has a lot of snow on the roads. Maybe he's confusing "snow" with actual snow.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 06, 2019, 01:14:49 PM
This has to be one of the weirdest threads I've seen that's actually road-related.
I was surprised the OP wasn't bandit when I first saw it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Kentucky's been doing a lot of crack sealing lately, in anticipation of pavement preservation projects.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

Quote from: Takumi on March 06, 2019, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 06, 2019, 01:14:49 PM
I was surprised the OP wasn't bandit when I first saw it.

Same feeling I had except finding it in an "on-topic" forum.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 03:30:12 PM
Kentucky's been doing a lot of crack sealing lately, in anticipation of pavement preservation projects.  :-D

Does KTC send someone out afterward to find the Leftover Crack™?

GaryV

I know junkies aren't terribly fastidious, but do they really just leave their leftover crack lying around?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: GaryV on March 06, 2019, 09:25:59 PM
I know junkies aren't terribly fastidious, but do they really just leave their leftover crack lying around?

Drugs Are Really Expensive, so of course not.

Scott5114

I mean, Leftover Crack is capitalized in the original post, so I'm guessing Leftover is a particular brand of crack.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2019, 11:23:28 PM
I mean, Leftover Crack is capitalized in the original post, so I'm guessing Leftover is a particular brand of crack.

Leftover Crack™: You'll Wish You Had Some!

kphoger

The Irondequoit Police Dept must be in cahoots with a competitor, then.
Male pronouns, please.

steviep24

Duke87

Leftover Crack is the name of a band.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

Quote from: Duke87 on March 07, 2019, 08:40:28 PM

Leftover Crack is the name of a band.

That article says Leftover Crack can be found on Avenue C in Manhattan, thereby making it relevant to this thread...

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 06, 2019, 02:00:09 PM
Western NY has a lot of snow on the roads. Maybe he's confusing "snow" with actual snow.

Actually, we're pretty good with storm management, so snow doesn't stick around on the roads for long.
Also, I understood this to have happened in the summer, not winter.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2019, 06:31:08 AM
That article says Leftover Crack can be found on Avenue C in Manhattan, thereby making it relevant to this thread...

Western NY and Manhattan, believe it or not, are barely relevant to one another, if at all.

LOL at this whole thread, by the way, Especially the Random Capitalizations.

RobbieL2415

Just bulldoze SeaBreeze.  That'll get rid of all the crack.

place-saint-henri

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 08, 2019, 12:47:56 PM
Just bulldoze SeaBreeze.  That'll get rid of all the crack.

The problem wasn't Crack per se, we had the attitude at the time that if you want to do Crack in Irondequoit, thats your own business. Just dont get caught, give it to minors or operate a motor vehicle under its influence. But we absolutely did not want kids to start smoking it, hence why we were looking for Leftöver Crack.

Considering there aint no such thing as Leftover Crack, this Pilot Project went no where lol.

In 1999 I did my Senior Internship with the New York State Dept of Health's Millinneum Asphyxiation awarness program. We were 4 teens and a 22 year old Social Work supervisor working out of a mobile health van that was driven around Rochester looking for Choking Victims, we also drove to schools to teach the heimlich.

Some roads we often visited:

East Avenue
Monroe Ave
Chili Ave
I-90
The Inner Loop
Frankland Drive in Irondequoit
Virginia Street in Buffalo
Etc.

As for Sea Breeze, I had my first Internet Kiss there in 1997! And no we weren't on Crack.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.