News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-130? Anyone have any information on this?!

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, March 15, 2017, 11:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, don't bash me for this, but I was looking at a wikipedia page on the Interstates in Arkansas and found this purposed Interstate - I-130.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Interstate_Highways_in_Arkansas

I am wondering right about now what other shit AHTD is planning to do!

Ok, from all that I have read, I have gathered possible future projects:

I-69
I-30 Little Rock Expansion
I-49
and I-130 of all things!

Ah, AHTD and their highway obsession!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

oscar

Wasn't that proposed freeway mostly or completely incorporated into I-49 alpng the east side of Texarkana, making I-130 a dead proposal?

Since Wikipedia's reliability is uneven, you're right to ask for more info. But I suspect this is a case where Wikipedia is out of date.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2017, 12:14:09 AM
Wasn't that proposed freeway mostly or completely incorporated into I-49 alpng the east side of Texarkana, making I-130 a dead proposal?

Since Wikipedia's reliability is uneven, you're right to ask for more info. But I suspect this is a case where Wikipedia is out of date.

Well, just like with I-69 I do believe you are correct in the fact that it may be outdated, but no I-130 is coming down from Little Rock.

compdude787

Quote from: IDriveArkansas on March 16, 2017, 12:16:41 AM
but no I-130 is coming down from Little Rock.

Don't you mean I-530?

Anyway, I-130 seems like it has mostly been subsumed by I-49.

kurumi

AASHTO approved I-130 in part in December 2000. Insanely, the PDF (http://route.transportation.org/Documents/2000USRN_Cmte.pdf) does not permit text selection, or the pages are just images. So here's a screenshot:

In my notes (don't have a source for this assertion, though), the "second part was not a future part of the Interstate System, and Texas did not submit a companion application for a good terminus in Texas".

The approved portion is now part of I-49.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sparker

Quote from: compdude787 on March 16, 2017, 12:32:47 AM

Don't you mean I-530?

Correct -- I-130 was a "placeholder" designation for AR 245, the original Texarkana east bypass; when the final alignment for I-49 was constructed -- some of it using the 245 alignment and the remainder veering east to the present I-30/49 interchange, I-130 became a moot issue.  It's similar in concept to I-910 in the New Orleans area; just a temporary designation until I-49 construction reaches the area. 

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Don't you mean I-530?

It is a continuation of I-30 from Little Rock towards Texas, not the 530. But, I am just blown away at the amount of projects the AHTD are starting up, like really?

corco

QuoteInsanely

I'm not even sure that Adobe Acrobat had OCR capability in 2000...

Anthony_JK

Quote from: IDriveArkansas on March 16, 2017, 01:01:11 AM

Don't you mean I-530?

It is a continuation of I-30 from Little Rock towards Texas, not the 530. But, I am just blown away at the amount of projects the AHTD are starting up, like really?

Not Little Rock. Texarkana. Originally along US 59/TX 151/AR 151/AR 225. Now mostly subsumed by I-49 and proposed I-369.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2017, 10:27:33 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 16, 2017, 09:45:07 AM
Originally along US 59/TX 151/AR 151/AR 225.
That's a long route: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0151.htm

Is it possible it could relaunch or no? If it merged then oh well. I'll watch it though.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2017, 10:27:33 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 16, 2017, 09:45:07 AM
Originally along US 59/TX 151/AR 151/AR 225.
That's a long route: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0151.htm

Whoops. Sorry. I did mean the Inner Loop in Texarkana from I-30 to current I-49.

Henry

Which brings one question to mind: Why did they go with I-130 if it was most likely to be absorbed into I-49 in the first place?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheArkansasRoadgeek

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2017, 10:18:03 AM
Which brings one question to mind: Why did they go with I-130 if it was most likely to be absorbed into I-49 in the first place?

Considering that Arkansas uses the national MUTCD, my best guess would be just due to the numbering guidelines. It does also seem that AHTD as policies that deviate from the MUTCD slightly; even though they don't have "their own", so to speak.

Road Hog

Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2017, 10:18:03 AM
I-49 was pie in the sky as far as Arkansas was concerned until probably 15 years ago when Louisiana got serious about building north from Shreveport. The present 49 was probably scheduled just as an expanded new-terrain US 71.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on March 19, 2017, 04:39:20 AM

I-49 was pie in the sky as far as Arkansas was concerned until probably 15 years ago when Louisiana got serious about building north from Shreveport. The present 49 was probably scheduled just as an expanded new-terrain US 71.

Actually, yes it was. The first section was a new US 71 from Fayetteville to Bella Vista built in the early-mid 1980's.

Alma to Fayetteville was originally proposed as a new 71, but all the little tourist traps along the old road were afraid they would lose business since no one would know "471" (or whatever number they planned) was old 71. After a lot of letter writing to AHTD, the new highway became a northern extension of I-540 to Fayetteville, but was later extended to Bella Vista.

Sadly, a lot of the old motels and restaurants perished anyway when the new road opened.

DJStephens

Why didn't they use "Business" US - 71 designation for the original road?   Have only been on that corridor once, in the mid nineties timeframe, so certainly don't know all the details on it.   Seems to be a logical solution - designate the original roadbed as "Business" while transferring the "Federal" signs to the upgraded route.   

The Ghostbuster

It's just like Interstate 910 in New Orleans, a temporary designation for future Interstate 49. Although like Interstate 910, Interstate 130 was never signposted. I wonder if the 130 designation should have been proposed in the first place.

US71

Quote from: DJStephens on March 23, 2017, 03:59:43 PM
Why didn't they use "Business" US - 71 designation for the original road?   Have only been on that corridor once, in the mid nineties timeframe, so certainly don't know all the details on it.   Seems to be a logical solution - designate the original roadbed as "Business" while transferring the "Federal" signs to the upgraded route.   

If you mean NW Arkansas, the old road IS Business 71 (or 71B as they call it). It started as AR 471 until (again) locals complained. There was (IIRC) a 6-month co-sign 471/71B.

If you mean Texarkana, 71south to I-30 was AR 245 originally. Maybe it would have been difficult to post State Line Rd as Bus 71? Maybe Texas didn't want to play along?

bugo

Interestingly I-130 was approved by AASHTO but has never been decommissioned, therefore it still exists...

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: bugo on May 15, 2017, 04:50:51 AM
Interestingly I-130 was approved by AASHTO but has never been decommissioned, therefore it still exists...
Decommissioned once Interstate 49 was designated.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

bugo

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 18, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

Nope. Check the AASHTO minutes. It was never formally decommissioned. It still exists.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 19, 2017, 10:46:42 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 18, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

Nope. Check the AASHTO minutes. It was never formally decommissioned. It still exists.

Was it ever posted as "Future 130"? If yes, did anyone ever get a photo?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.