News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Things that I kind of remember about Central LA

Started by mcdonaat, May 23, 2012, 01:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Just thinking in the back of my head, I vaguely remember a stoplight along La. 1 at what is now the access road to the Alexandria Port, from the late 1990's. Don't know if my mind is just playing tricks on me or not, but can anyone verify this? It's about the same time I-49 was being built through Alexandria.

Also, does anyone have photos they would like to share of Alexandria and the surrounding areas? I know a bunch of different things have been replaced recently (Fulton Street Bridge on US 167, aka old LA 3026/Pineville Expwy; the old Crazy Quilt at US 165/167/71), and I vaguely remember them all.

Alex

I drove through Alexandria in January 1996, when Interstate 49 was incomplete. Buried in a box, is some night video I shot of this on VHS.

Traffic was directed to that traffic circle where US 71 and 165 meet as part of the route between the two freeway ends.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Alex on May 23, 2012, 12:05:02 PM
I drove through Alexandria in January 1996, when Interstate 49 was incomplete. Buried in a box, is some night video I shot of this on VHS.

Traffic was directed to that traffic circle where US 71 and 165 meet as part of the route between the two freeway ends.
VHS is king! I know that the traffic circle has some new shields put up showing TO I-49 along the 71 route. I'm guessing that, if traffic was directed, it would help people who might not have been to the city since the Interstate was built (aka from Lake Charles). I'd love to see that tape though!

cenlaroads

I used to go down that section of LA 1 every day on the way to school in the late 90's, but I don't remember a stop light at that intersection.  Although, that was after the interstate was completed in '96; there may have been a light there before that.

mcdonaat

Somehow, it just stands out to me. Maybe it was a temporary light after the port was finished, and traffic demands werent as high as they hoped. oh well!

Anthony_JK

Quote from: cenlaroads on May 23, 2012, 06:59:58 PM
I used to go down that section of LA 1 every day on the way to school in the late 90's, but I don't remember a stop light at that intersection.  Although, that was after the interstate was completed in '96; there may have been a light there before that.

Are we talking about the former North Traffic Circle, where LA 1 leaves MacArthur Drive and goes west towards England Air Force Base and Boyce??

There was a signalized intersection north of there between it and the Red River Bridge where US 71 meets Third Street and the entrance road to the Port of Alexandria-Pineville. It survived when they replaced the North circle with an interchange (and built the current interchange with I-49), but it won't survive much longer; it will be replaced with an interchange when the Fort Buhlow Bridge is rebuilt and widened. Couldn't happen sooner for me.

cenlaroads

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 24, 2012, 02:42:30 AM
Quote from: cenlaroads on May 23, 2012, 06:59:58 PM
I used to go down that section of LA 1 every day on the way to school in the late 90's, but I don't remember a stop light at that intersection.  Although, that was after the interstate was completed in '96; there may have been a light there before that.

Are we talking about the former North Traffic Circle, where LA 1 leaves MacArthur Drive and goes west towards England Air Force Base and Boyce??

There was a signalized intersection north of there between it and the Red River Bridge where US 71 meets Third Street and the entrance road to the Port of Alexandria-Pineville. It survived when they replaced the North circle with an interchange (and built the current interchange with I-49), but it won't survive much longer; it will be replaced with an interchange when the Fort Buhlow Bridge is rebuilt and widened. Couldn't happen sooner for me.

I began going that way after the North Circle was replaced.  I am not certain, but I believe mcdonaat is referring to this intersection:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=31.328144,-92.48315&hl=en&sll=31.327833,-92.479048&sspn=0.011456,0.026157&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&t=m&z=16

I don't remember a light ever being there.  I do remember the light at N. 3rd St. though, even from the time I was very young.  I agree with your sentiment about the current bridge replacement.  I crossed the old bridge just this past Saturday; construction is coming along very nicely.

mcdonaat

Yup, that's the intersection! The light at N. 3rd is a mess... It's going to be even more of a mess when the bridge is finished. I wish that the state would just take North 3rd and make an interchange where the Industrial Site road (access to port from La. 1) crosses under I-49. All you need is an intersection that allows for southbound 49 access to use N. 3rd. After all, MacArthur Drive can use the Hwy 1 exit, and I-49 Northbound traffic uses the Medical Center exit. Maybe make a fly ramp for access from US 165 southbound to North 3rd, but that's for hospital traffic.

bassoon1986

I remember riding to New Orleans as a kid and taking 49 as far south as Alexandria but I can't remember if traffic was forced off at the Air Base Rd. exit or MacArthur Dr. I just remember seeing black wrapping over BGS's and eventually being on MacArthur Dr. to take US 71 south towards Baton Rouge

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 24, 2012, 10:49:50 PM
Yup, that's the intersection! The light at N. 3rd is a mess... It's going to be even more of a mess when the bridge is finished. I wish that the state would just take North 3rd and make an interchange where the Industrial Site road (access to port from La. 1) crosses under I-49. All you need is an intersection that allows for southbound 49 access to use N. 3rd. After all, MacArthur Drive can use the Hwy 1 exit, and I-49 Northbound traffic uses the Medical Center exit. Maybe make a fly ramp for access from US 165 southbound to North 3rd, but that's for hospital traffic.

Hmmm..I never noticed that other intersection that accessed the Port from LA 1. Sorry for the confusion.

From the plans I saw of the Fort Buhlow Bridge project, they will be replacing that Third St. intersection with an interchange. It will be a complex folded diamond, due to the proximity of the I-49 interchange nearby.

As far as I can recall, the preferred detour route for when I-49 was under construction was (from south to north) MacArthur Drive to the North Traffic Circle (now the Bolton Ave. interchange), to LA 1 to Air Base Road (the main entrance to what used to be England AFB (now Alexandria International Airport...yeah, right), and then back to I-49. Although, I'm figuring that when they finally completed the US 71-167 interchange (which also included converting the North Circle into an interchange itself), they moved the detour there, too.

Anthony

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.