News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Buc-ees outside of Texas.

Started by roadman65, June 07, 2019, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

To start off, I must say I LOVE Buc-ee's! (Of course, I live in the county it was created in)

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 27, 2020, 02:28:42 PM
Buc-ee's must get insane discounts on buying their gas in bulk. The other night, Thursday or Friday I think, I paid $1.39 a gallon ($19.05 for 13.7 gallons) at their location in Ennis when the price everywhere else in the area is north of $1.75. A couple weeks ago their price was still as low as $1.29 a gallon.

Buc-ee's gas generally is cheaper than competing brands, at least what I've seen. In one recent case, a nearby Chevron was selling at $1.70 a gallon, but the adjacent Buc-ee's was selling at $1.61. I've heard that Buc-ee's treats gasoline as a loss leader, relying on their stores to make a profit.

Quote from: roadman65 on June 11, 2019, 11:43:18 PM
I see they have a big wall of Beef Jerky.  How many flavors could they possibly be to fill a wall?

Are their stores really the size of a supermarket?

Most of the Buc-ee's in Texas (and all outside of Texas) are super large and their stores are indeed as large as a supermarket, but there are small Buc-ee's scattered across Brazoria County (which are nonetheless as busy as the big ones; just look at the one on TX 332 near Surfside), sorta like how you can find small Love's in Oklahoma.

As for beef jerky, they have so many flavors, it's hard to keep count. They even have ghost pepper jerky.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 24, 2020, 08:24:12 PM
The same happens with In-N-Out (to the extent that someone once put up a fraudulent In-N-Out "COMING SOON!" sign in OKC).

Maybe it was in and out and you missed it.  :)

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on July 27, 2020, 09:27:14 PM
The same happens with In-N-Out (to the extent that someone once put up a fraudulent In-N-Out "COMING SOON!" sign in OKC).

Oklahoma has Braums which is just as good as In and Out for burgers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2020, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 27, 2020, 09:27:14 PM

Oklahoma has Braums which is just as good as In and Out for burgers.

I like Braum's, but it's not even close.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

In_Correct

Braum's is more like D.Q. Grill & Chill with a small grocery store added to it.

Oklahoma also has Sonic, which is even more retro than Braum's.

Still not quite the same as In-N-Out.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

roadman65

Buc ees has billboards in SE GA for their St. Augustine, FL store all along I-95.  They seem to be like Wall Drugs in SD on I-90 or South of the Border on I-95 in NC and SC.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

I've been to a Buc-ee's once, off I-75 in Warner Robins, GA. The place is just massive. There are well over 100 gas pumps and the convenience store was basically a full-on grocery store. I'd never seen anything like it. I did appreciate their low gas prices - I remember buying there for $2.39 when most other stations in the area were in the 2.55-2.65 range.

Apparently Georgia is going to get a second location soon, off I-75 in Calhoun.

roadman65

They also pay well. $15 and up for starters.

Sheryl Crowe

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/state-news/buc-ees-to-build-worlds-largest-convenience-store-in-tennessee/

Sorry New Braunfels, Texas, but it looks like Tennessee will be home to the world's largest convenience store in Sevierville with... 74,000 sq. feet and 120 gas pumps!

roadman65

Someone on FB posted a pic of a billboard on I-95 in Florence, SC.  I guess that is for the one's in Florida as there are none north of that yet, or is there?  The poster was unclear whether NB or SB.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2021, 11:36:01 AM
Someone on FB posted a pic of a billboard on I-95 in Florence, SC.  I guess that is for the one's in Florida as there are none north of that yet, or is there?  The poster was unclear whether NB or SB.
I've seen that. I recall driving up or down I-95 and being like "Oh, it's the Buc-ee's in Daytona or St. Augustine!" .

sprjus4

They're currently building a Buc-ee's in Florence, SC off of I-95 Exit 170. The billboard is advertising the future location. I imagine North Carolina will start seeing billboards for them soon once that location opens for business.

The billboards for the St. Augustine location didn't start until Georgia, IIRC.

formulanone

Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2020, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: clong on July 25, 2020, 08:54:50 PM
Buc-ees in Leeds, AL (just east of Birmingham on I-20) is currently under construction.

WHAAAAT????? Now I gotta come through B'ham en route to Huntsville instead of using AL 69 at Tuscaloosa? Oh the sacrifice!

Btw...has anyone been in the new Buc'ees in Baldwin County AL on I-10 yet? Still wondering what/what's style of bbq they are serving (TX or AL).

This store has been open since at least May of 2021, when I stopped by.

Entry to the lot is weird, you pass through some lanes which fork in different directions around the pump islands. Doesn't matter...they have beaver nuggets.

jdb1234

Quote from: formulanone on June 26, 2021, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2020, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: clong on July 25, 2020, 08:54:50 PM
Buc-ees in Leeds, AL (just east of Birmingham on I-20) is currently under construction.

WHAAAAT????? Now I gotta come through B'ham en route to Huntsville instead of using AL 69 at Tuscaloosa? Oh the sacrifice!

Btw...has anyone been in the new Buc'ees in Baldwin County AL on I-10 yet? Still wondering what/what's style of bbq they are serving (TX or AL).

This store has been open since at least May of 2021, when I stopped by.

Entry to the lot is weird, you pass through some lanes which fork in different directions around the pump islands. Doesn't matter...they have beaver nuggets.

It opened back in January.  I went in there back in March and revisited it back in April.  It reminded me of a turnpike service plaza at first.  I want to try to the food at some point, but I will have to go during the week when they are not as busy.

Signs for the Leeds Buc-ees exist as far as Tuscaloosa.
I drove by the one at I-10 and the Baldwin Beach Express when I went to Orange Beach last year but was pressed for time (I was headed back home) and did not go in.

kevinb1994

Just hit the Buc-ee's in St. Augustine. Was floored by the selection. Went home with some jerky.

roadman65

It now is going to be competitive marketing billboards between the Beaver and Pedro on I-95 in both NC and SC.

Sheryl Crowe

ozarkman417

SkyPesos

Not a physical location, but there's a sign on I-65 near Lafayette, IN advertising a Buc-ees. Click on the quote link for the discussion in the Indiana thread.
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 17, 2021, 07:32:36 PM
Found a billboard on I-65 SB just south of exit 168 that says "Buc-ee's 552 miles"  on my way home today. It caught me off guard, so unfortunately, no photo of it.I have no idea what that is, but it's interesting seeing a billboard of the nearest location being hundreds of miles away.

golden eagle

There's one planned for the Mississippi Gulf Coast near Pass Christian.

CtrlAltDel

It's not a Buc-ees, but there does appear to be something of a competitor to Buc-ees in Wally's, as I noticed at exit 197 on I-55 in Illinois.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

snowc

@sprjus4, i can confirm that there is going to be a Buc-ees in Florence SC.
I JUST went there last winter and they had a sign saying coming soon.
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 26, 2021, 11:49:00 AM
I've seen that. I recall driving up or down I-95 and being like "Oh, it's the Buc-ee's in Daytona or St. Augustine!" .
Yes this is correct. :cool:

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on June 12, 2021, 04:17:22 PM
Apparently Georgia is going to get a second location soon, off I-75 in Calhoun.

I don't know when it first opened, but it's definitely open now as I stopped there on Saturday. Seemed a little smaller than the one down in Warner Robins.

chrisdiaz

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/business/tourism/article257091587.html

It looks like the Buc-ee's opening in Florence, SC is being pushed back to the summer of this year.

I'm wondering if they'll be selling Myrtle Beach merchandise in there, since Myrtle Beach is a control city on the exit sign where Buc-ee's will be located  :-D

hbelkins

The one in Kentucky is supposed to open in April.

They're also looking to build on I-65 between Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave, somewhere in the Smith's Grove area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

I stopped at the one in Calhoun, GA on Jan 7 and was impressed with the massive size and appreciated the cheap gas. I also enjoyed a brisket sandwich, homemade chips and a Big Red (which I'm pretty sure was the first time I'd seen that on a fountain tap, as opposed to just bottles or cans.)

The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of windshield squeegees/solution.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.