News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State capitals

Started by Poiponen13, November 15, 2022, 01:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 02, 2023, 12:30:06 AM
Not that far. A little farther than Montreal/Toronto, but still very close to the US Border.

Look at a map of average annual temperatures in Canada and you just might find why it isn't further north.

Scott5114

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 28, 2023, 07:17:10 AM
It's been done before, but when is the most recent occurrence? The number of employees and buildings making up state capitals today is much more extensive than 100 years ago.

That was us. The capital of Oklahoma was moved from Guthrie to Oklahoma City in 1910, three years after statehood.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 02, 2023, 12:30:06 AM
Not that far. A little farther than Montreal/Toronto, but still very close to the US Border.

But it's not on waters that connect to the US. The navy couldn't come in and bombard it.

They even built a canal from Kingston to Ottawa so goods could be safely shipped without using the Ottawa River and St Lawrence River, thus avoiding any US interference.

Ottawa didn't become the capital until 1866 (just a year before Confederation, but following tensions between the US and Britain/Canada related to the US Civil War). Prior to that the British capital was in Kingston, Montreal, Toronto, Quebec, Toronto again and Quebec again.

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2023, 12:28:37 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 02, 2023, 12:11:28 AM
I honestly have no idea why Ottawa is Canada's Capital. Even if its not Toronto it should at least be Montreal.

It was far from the border and on defensible terrain.  Seems pretty straight forward when the War of 1812 was still in living memory.

Another reason is that it's on the border between Ontario and Quebec, which have a rivalry due to being the two largest provinces and language/cultural differences (English vs. French Canada). It feels appropriate to have the capital region span those two provinces.

elsmere241

I'm getting lots of flashbacks from my Political Geography college class with this discussion.  I recommend that some of you read a book on it.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 7/8 on March 02, 2023, 09:08:24 AM
I honestly have no idea why Ottawa is Canada's Capital. Even if its not Toronto it should at least be Montreal.
Another reason is that it's on the border between Ontario and Quebec, which have a rivalry due to being the two largest provinces and language/cultural differences (English vs. French Canada). It feels appropriate to have the capital region span those two provinces.

This is basically the entire reason Canada's capital is in Ottawa.  Which is the same reason the US built a new city on the Potomac for a capital; to ease inter-regional tension.  In the US, it was the whole north-south dynamic that ended spilling over into civil war anyway.  For Canada, it's the British Canada vs. French Canada dynamic.
Lest we forget how close Quebec has come to voting for independence a few times since the mid-20th Century.  If the capital had been Toronto during one of those referendums, I suspect that might have been enough to tip the balance in favor of an independent Quebecois nation.  Resentment is a big motivator for that type of vote.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Ottawa was a compromise between the Toronto and Montreal factions.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2023, 01:35:08 PM

I know it wasn't as populated back then, but fuck Western Canada I guess.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2023, 02:00:14 PM

That was back in 1857.  Nothing west of Ontario was even a province of Canada yet.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

No different than Washington being "on the east coast". Fuck western U.S.A.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2023, 02:37:24 PM

AKA Spain and randon unexplored territory at the time. But I actually didn't know that Western Canada wasn't part of Canada in 1857. You learn something new every day.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Alberta and Saskatchewan didn't confederate until the U.S. already had 45 states. Hell, Canada didn't exist until the U.S. had 37 states.

kkt

It was 1780 or so when they decided to make DC out of bits of territory ceded from Maryland and Virginia.  There was no western USA then, not even as territory.  Louisiana Purchase was 1803, Louis and Clark expedition 1804-1806.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2023, 03:00:15 PM

It was 1780 or so when they decided to make DC out of bits of territory ceded from Maryland and Virginia.  There was no western USA then, not even as territory.  Louisiana Purchase was 1803, Louis and Clark expedition 1804-1806.

You missed the invisible [/sarc] tag.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2023, 03:02:12 PM

sorry :)  there's so much ignorance running through the board it's hard to see sarcasm...

TheHighwayMan3561

I think I told this story recently, but the Minnesota Territory legislature approved a bill to move the capital from St. Paul to St. Peter in south central Minnesota. An opposed legislator stole the physical bill before it could be signed by the territorial governor and hid with it until the session ended preventing the move.

However the end of the story is much less exciting. The legislature tried again, and this time it passed without incident and was signed by the territorial governor. However, the territorial court struck it down saying the move had to be approved by popular referendum, not the legislature, so St. Paul was once again saved as the capital city (and ultimately made Joe Rolette's antics to be in vain other than as a legendary story).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 02, 2023, 03:19:44 PM
I think I told this story recently, but the Minnesota Territory legislature approved a bill to move the capital from St. Paul to St. Peter in south central Minnesota. An opposed legislator stole the physical bill before it could be signed by the territorial governor and hid with it until the session ended preventing the move.

However the end of the story is much less exciting. The legislature tried again, and this time it passed without incident and was signed by the territorial governor. However, the territorial court struck it down saying the move had to be approved by popular referendum, not the legislature, so St. Paul was once again saved as the capital city (and ultimately made Joe Rolette's antics to be in vain other than as a legendary story).
Wonder how the interstate highway system would change if the move suceeded. My guess is that I-35 follows US 169 south of the Twin Cities instead.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2023, 03:27:09 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 02, 2023, 03:19:44 PM

Wonder how the interstate highway system would change if the move suceeded. My guess is that I-35 follows US 169 south of the  Twin Cities instead.

It would be interesting to think of I-35 following something closer to the current IA 17 corridor and meeting I-80 where the duplex flips from N/S to E/W on the west side of Des Moines at the IA 141 interchange.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2023, 03:04:57 PM

sorry :)  there's so much ignorance running through the board it's hard to see sarcasm...

You typically just have to look who the poster is. If it is kphoger or me, assume sarcasm.

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2023, 04:25:09 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2023, 03:04:57 PM

You typically just have to look who the poster is. If it is kphoger or me, assume sarcasm.

Yeah, I never post anything sarcastic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.