News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Retail loss prevention

Started by ZLoth, July 09, 2023, 12:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 15, 2023, 01:15:20 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 10:12:18 AM
Our local Dillon's (Kroger) recently installed gates, and at first it seemed like half the shoppers walking into the store would set off the alarm–my wife and me included.  She does wear a Fitbit, so maybe that's it.  Anyway, I always just ignore the alarms, as does nearly everyone else.  Lately, it doesn't go off as frequently, so maybe they adjusted some settings or something.

Are there turnstiles or something else that would freeze in place when the alarm goes off, or just sensor posts?  I think we have the latter but not the former at 13th and West.

They're just swing gates, and they're only on the entrance (beyond where entering and exiting shoppers' paths intersect), which is to say that shoppers do not go through the gates between checkout and vestibule.  They always open just fine.  I honestly don't even know why they're there.

This is the Gucci Dillon's.  You know the one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 01:53:05 PMThey're just swing gates, and they're only on the entrance (beyond where entering and exiting shoppers' paths intersect), which is to say that shoppers do not go through the gates between checkout and vestibule.  They always open just fine.  I honestly don't even know why they're there.

It sounds like the same setup as at the 21st and Amidon baby Walmart.  I'm not going to be happy if they install them at the geezer/AARP Dillons.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2023, 01:42:40 PMHow the Emergency Exit signage configured in these stores?

Dunno--I'll have a look (at 13th and West) when I do the weekly shopping tomorrow and report back.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on September 15, 2023, 01:15:20 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 10:12:18 AM
Our local Dillon's (Kroger) recently installed gates, and at first it seemed like half the shoppers walking into the store would set off the alarm–my wife and me included.  She does wear a Fitbit, so maybe that's it.  Anyway, I always just ignore the alarms, as does nearly everyone else.  Lately, it doesn't go off as frequently, so maybe they adjusted some settings or something.

Are there turnstiles or something else that would freeze in place when the alarm goes off, or just sensor posts?  I think we have the latter but not the former at 13th and West.

They're just swing gates, and they're only on the entrance (beyond where entering and exiting shoppers' paths intersect), which is to say that shoppers do not go through the gates between checkout and vestibule.  They always open just fine.  I honestly don't even know why they're there.

I assume gates are likely to prevent shoppers backstreaming (especially with unpaid goods) through the entrance.
MAYBE they would be de-activated by fire alarm and designed to fail open to reduce evacuation risks.. 

mgk920

Well, the merchants could simply permanently close the stores, like they have been doing in many larger cities.

<sigh . . . >

Mike

RobbieL2415

Haven't heard from or seen any "updated" store designs locally or anywhere in New England.

Often times around here, big box stores may have local PD constantly on guard or special policemen (security guards with peace officer powers but limited only to the jurisdiction of the store).

Max Rockatansky

When I worked LP at Dillard's in downtown Scottsdale we contracted guard staff duty to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.  They had a sub station on the second floor in the Juniors department.  Given the volume of shoplifters we had in that store it was certainly handy having them on hand.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.