News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on September 22, 2018, 10:53:50 AM
So does anyone know if the NJTA has uncovered any of its I-95 signs yet? I'm curious to see if any of the newer signage at Exit 9 and north will make its way south any time soon, or if the current signage from Exits 6 to 8A will carryover.

Overall I like what the PTC and PennDOT have done.

The "classic" NJ Turnpike signage from 8A southward won't be replaced with MUTCD signage anytime soon. It's too new. It was installed with the provision for adding the 95 shields when this finally opened.

theroadwayone

Quote from: OracleUsr on September 22, 2018, 08:54:29 AM
With Exit 358 now Exit 42, what is the highest numbered exit in PA now?

That would most likely be PA-132, Street Road (Exit 352.) In terms of fully accessible interchanges, Exit 351--US 1--is the highest.

theroadwayone

While I'm at it, I pulled up the PA Turnpike interactive map, and there's two VMSs near US 1 that are telling drivers, "I-276 EB becomes I-95 NB, 6 miles ahead."

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if the I-95 interchange will be named Philadelphia interchange now then US-1 interchange is known as Bensalem interchange?

motorway

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 22, 2018, 01:22:14 PM
I wonder if the I-95 interchange will be named Philadelphia interchange now then US-1 interchange is known as Bensalem interchange?

I think the I-95 interchange could also rightfully be named Delaware Valley, given that -- particularly starting now -- it really is the main artery for the region.

Alps

I think that was the idea with renaming US 1.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Alps on September 22, 2018, 01:34:10 PM
I think that was the idea with renaming US 1.
IIRC the Bensalem interchange was once Philadelphia.

briantroutman

Yes, US 1 was once named Philadelphia; it was changed to Bensalem at least five years ago. I never understood the logic of endowing that one interchange with Philadelphia's name since Valley Forge is the de facto gateway to the city for through I-76 traffic, and from Bucks County or New Jersey, a number of other routes are essentially equivalent if not faster into the city from the westbound Turnpike.

Perhaps the PTC will have some internal name for the interchange, but whatever name it has will be essentially irrelevant to the public. It's not signed as a Turnpike interchange with a name banner at the top of the interchange, and since it's not part of the ticket system, it will never show up on a ticket or toll schedule. Likewise, the Delaware Valley Interchange ceases to carry that name publicly and is now just signed US 13 - Levittown - Bristol just as any PennDOT-maintained interchange would.

As was mentioned upthread, the PTC is truly abandoning any sense of Turnpike identity for the I-95 stretch: No keystone markers, no ticket system, no toll (except the bridge southbound/westbound), I-95 exit numbers, "through"  I-276 signed as an exit.

briantroutman

For anyone interested in seeing a drive-through of the new I-95 through ramp (northbound, anyway), here's a sped up version of video I took on my first pass through this morning at approximately 7:20 a.m. Unfortunately, I didn't have a decent camera on hand, and my phone–which I wedged between the dashboard and the windshield while still driving–tried to auto-stabilize the image based on the hood of the car, so the footage doesn't look great. But at least it will give you an idea of what it's like to drive the new northbound flyover. If I have time later, I'll try to get better footage (busy with a work project today).

storm2k

As of right now, only the signs in the outer roadway of the NJ Turnpike have the full signage with 95 shields. None of the signs in the inner roadway, nor the 2 mile approach sign which is one of the ones in the median only do. Nor do any of the signs on the Pearl Harbor extension have them yet. Got a few pictures and will post once I'm back in front of a computer and not on mobile.

iPhone

storm2k

Here are the pictures I grabbed today:

fixed photo order

theroadwayone

Looks good, man. Can't wait to see the inner roadway signs once they're done.

wilbur_the_goose

So now, the NJ Turnpike between exit 6 and the Delaware Memorial Bridge has no route number?

theroadwayone

Quote from: wilbur_the_goose on September 22, 2018, 06:04:16 PM
So now, the NJ Turnpike between exit 6 and the Delaware Memorial Bridge has no route number?
It's (unofficially) NJ-700.

briantroutman

Quote from: storm2k on September 22, 2018, 04:16:52 PM
As of right now, only the signs in the outer roadway of the NJ Turnpike have the full signage with 95 shields. None of the signs in the inner roadway, nor the 2 mile approach sign which is one of the ones in the median only do.

This makes sense. When the topic of the NJ Turnpike's signage changes came up during the road meet, the Jacobs representative said that the NJTA would close the outer carriageway to change its signs, then when that was complete, separately close the inner carriageway and change its signs. So apparently, the NJTA decided to split the task over two separate days.

Quote from: wilbur_the_goose on September 22, 2018, 06:04:16 PM

Other than its internal number, the section south of roughly I-287 wasn't posted with a route number before, either. Certainly not the section south of Exit 6–it wasn't previously posted as I-95 if that's what you were thinking.

NJRoadfan

There are "TO I-95" shields posted on the NJ-700 section. Some say it should be posted as a I-x95 as its interstate standard and provides a bypass route. It likely would be if the highway was in NC. :P

jcn

Quote from: briantroutman on September 22, 2018, 10:50:11 AM
I did also see a NY-plated car follow the through I-95 southbound movement decisively–anecdotal evidence that the interchange's role in facilitating through I-95 traffic is already being fulfilled.

So it seems like some through traffic is shifting over to I-95 now.

famartin

Quote from: briantroutman on September 22, 2018, 06:11:09 PM
Quote from: storm2k on September 22, 2018, 04:16:52 PM
As of right now, only the signs in the outer roadway of the NJ Turnpike have the full signage with 95 shields. None of the signs in the inner roadway, nor the 2 mile approach sign which is one of the ones in the median only do.

This makes sense. When the topic of the NJ Turnpike's signage changes came up during the road meet, the Jacobs representative said that the NJTA would close the outer carriageway to change its signs, then when that was complete, separately close the inner carriageway and change its signs. So apparently, the NJTA decided to split the task over two separate days.

That's the typical construction pattern for the NJ Turnpike - close the outer roadway one night, the inner roadway another.  I suspect that tomorrow morning, the inner roadway signage will be updated, assuming the weather cooperates.

theroadwayone

That's the thing. Double the roadways=double the trouble.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: Jim on September 22, 2018, 08:56:21 AM
A trivial concern among all the destruction down there, but the ongoing flooding in North Carolina means it's not quite possible yet to drive from Miami to the Canadian border on now-continuous I-95.

NCDOT reported yesterday that they hope I-95 can open through Robeson County on October 10.  If one was so inclined to try it nonstop with empty Gatorade bottles--since in my college youth, I could do NJ to Tampa in 18 hrs--nonstop to Canada or Florida would be sometime on October 11.

SignBridge

Forty-two years after I first drove from NYC to Philadelphia and was shocked that I couldn't transition from the Penn. Tpke. to I-95, it's finally done. Glad it finally happened in my lifetime and I'll get to drive it on my next trip in that direction.

And many thanks to all for posting your photos and video of the new signage. Good job guys!

ipeters61

I kind of have a rough week ahead, so I'm glad to see some of these signs which I've been waiting for about a year now to see uncovered!
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

Somebody better tell Google Maps about the newly opened connection.  GM is still not showing the ramps, even if you activate Traffic.

ixnay

Roadwarriors79

As of now, Waze has the rerouted I-95 correctly marked. Good for them.

I saw a video of the SB I-95 approaching the WB I-276 split. That may be an issue for a little while. Maybe an extra sign or two stressing staying in the left lane for I-276 would help.

It will be interesting to see how much signage the PTC changes for EB I-276. The old EB control city was "New Jersey"  but ALL the NB I-95 signage is "TO NJTP/New York" .

SignBridge

Approaching the westbound/southbound split are there any temporary or lighted signs in place warning of a "new traffic pattern" ahead? That might help some of the confused and disoriented drivers a little bit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.