News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve D on November 27, 2018, 01:21:51 PM
Thank you, you have proven my point.  You can go 40+ miles from exit 11 on the NJTP to the DRB and pay $4.60 for that; once you are in PA you pay $6.75 (or $5.00) to travel just  a couple of miles to the new 95 ramps.

BUT....(there's always a but...)

The toll on the PA side is one way.  So while you're correct in going to PA, returning from PA, you pay nothing for those few miles, but $4.60 on the NJ Turnpike.

Of course, if you want to average it out, on a per mile basis, round trip, you're still paying a lot more on the PA side than the NJ side. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve D on November 27, 2018, 01:21:51 PMYou can go 40+ miles from exit 11 on the NJTP to the DRB and pay $4.60 for that; once you are in PA you pay $6.75 (or $5.00) to travel just  a couple of miles to the new 95 ramps.
How is that any different than exiting off NJ Turnpike elsewhere and using one of the DRPA bridges to cross the river and paying the $5.00 toll for such... or, had the DMB not been closed, use the NJTP all the way down and cross via the DMB ($7.25 Turnpike + $4.00 bridge toll) for that matter.

While the westbound PTC toll gantry at the PA-side of the DRB isn't officially for the bridge itself; it essentially acts as such in terms of operations & in the eyes of the motorist.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theroadwayone

I was perusing PhillyRoads.com just today and found this on the I-276 page:

"When the new I-95 / I-276 interchange is completed in 2014, the Delaware River-Turnpike Toll Bridge will be prominently signed as I-95. To eliminate confusion among motorists traveling on the East Coast, the following new  "local" and "express" designations for I-95 should be assigned as follows:

Beginning in Newport, Delaware, the "express" I-95 would comprise of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the current I-295 approaches, and the length of the New Jersey Turnpike north to EXIT 6.

A companion route, "local" I-95, would serve Delaware via the existing I-495 alignment, and Pennsylvania through the existing I-95 alignment (Delaware Expressway). It would then cross the Delaware River-Turnpike Toll Bridge (I-276) and rejoin the "express" I-95 at EXIT 6 of the New Jersey Turnpike."

02 Park Ave

To further clarify, or maybe confuse, the toll structure discussion for the DRB, the NJTA also has an off-peak westbound E-Z Pass rate of $2.20 at Exit 6A.  Furthermore, the off-peak Green and Senior Citizen programs' E-Z Pass rate is $1.95 there.
C-o-H

famartin

Quote from: theroadwayone on November 27, 2018, 10:16:27 PM

"When the new I-95 / I-276 interchange is completed in 2014, the Delaware River-Turnpike Toll Bridge will be prominently signed as I-95. To eliminate confusion among motorists traveling on the East Coast, the following new  "local" and "express" designations for I-95 should be assigned as follows:

Beginning in Newport, Delaware, the "express" I-95 would comprise of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the current I-295 approaches, and the length of the New Jersey Turnpike north to EXIT 6.

A companion route, "local" I-95, would serve Delaware via the existing I-495 alignment, and Pennsylvania through the existing I-95 alignment (Delaware Expressway). It would then cross the Delaware River-Turnpike Toll Bridge (I-276) and rejoin the "express" I-95 at EXIT 6 of the New Jersey Turnpike."

It has said that for at least 10 if not 15 years.  That's just a Steve Anderson recommendation and has no actual clout with any agency.  And, 2014  :-D

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on November 27, 2018, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on November 27, 2018, 10:16:27 PM

It has said that for at least 10 if not 15 years.  That's just a Steve Anderson recommendation and has no actual clout with any agency.  And, 2014  :-D

Yeah, 2014.  Sigh...

As for Express/Local - the distance is much too long for such designations. People get confused enough on highways where the express lanes are directly next to the local lanes, as it's tough for motorists to know if taking the Express lanes will get them to their exit, or if they're going to bypass their exit.  We're also talking two different states, with numerous exiting options in both states.

The Turnpike and 95 are 2 different highways completely, and guidance signage is used to promote the optimal direction one should go.  We've talked about control cities, and replacing Wilmington with Baltimore would assist in this respect, IMO.  Also, more and more people have GPSs now that'll route them down the NJ Turnpike in most instances anyway when their destination is below Wilmington, DE, or route them via 95 if they want to go towards Philly.

From the experiences throughout the entire weekend, it seems like motorists choose the NJ Turnpike when it was the proper thing to do, and we saw what happens when a major bridge is shut down, virtually eliminating one of the routes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 27, 2018, 10:35:59 PMTo further clarify, or maybe confuse, the toll structure discussion for the DRB, the NJTA also has an off-peak westbound E-Z Pass rate of $2.20 at Exit 6A.  Furthermore, the off-peak Green and Senior Citizen programs' E-Z Pass rate is $1.95 there.
Given that the recent toll discussion in this thread was focused on holiday travelers this past weekend who either have E-ZPass accounts from other states or no E-ZPass at all; those listed discounts don't apply to them.  Transponder discrimination at work here; but such is another topic for another thread.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2018, 06:07:14 AM

The Turnpike and 95 are 2 different highways completely ....

There are a surprisingly large number of average motorists who use this corridor regularly and who have no clue of the truth of the statement you make here, or who believe your statement is incorrect.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2018, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2018, 06:07:14 AM

The Turnpike and 95 are 2 different highways completely ....

There are a surprisingly large number of average motorists who use this corridor regularly and who have no clue of the truth of the statement you make here, or who believe your statement is incorrect.

:nod:  :nod:  :nod:

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 28, 2018, 08:24:50 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 27, 2018, 10:35:59 PMTo further clarify, or maybe confuse, the toll structure discussion for the DRB, the NJTA also has an off-peak westbound E-Z Pass rate of $2.20 at Exit 6A.  Furthermore, the off-peak Green and Senior Citizen programs' E-Z Pass rate is $1.95 there.
Given that the recent toll discussion in this thread was focused on holiday travelers this past weekend who either have E-ZPass accounts from other states or no E-ZPass at all; those listed discounts don't apply to them.  Transponder discrimination at work here; but such is another topic for another thread.

Not even transponder discrimination.  That's dealing with the general population from a state or specific area that gets a discounts others don't (ie: Maryland residents paying $6 in Maryland; all other users paying $8).  Senior citizen discounts are common; ie: 10% off on Wednesdays at a department store, or 25 cent coffee at McDonalds.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2018, 10:18:25 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 28, 2018, 08:24:50 AM
Not even transponder discrimination.  That's dealing with the general population from a state or specific area that gets a discounts others don't (ie: Maryland residents paying $6 in Maryland; all other users paying $8).  Senior citizen discounts are common; ie: 10% off on Wednesdays at a department store, or 25 cent coffee at McDonalds.
Yes & no.  During the early years of E-ZPass, the discounted toll rates along the NJTP applied towards all accounts not just the in-state accounts.

From the PA-NJ-DE Delaware River Crossings thread.
Quote from: BrianP on November 28, 2018, 11:26:35 AM
Delaware Memorial Bridge toll could rise $1 on March 1
QuoteThe following projects are planned to take place over the next five to 10 years:

Bridge paint removal and recoating: $48.2 million
    Suspension rope replacement: $24.5 million
    Bridge steelwork repairs: $40.5 million
    Pin and link rehabilitation: $19.7 million
    Ship collision protection system: $45.2 million
    Bridge deck repair: $21.5 million
    Transfer bridge repairs at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry: $4.3 million
    Ferry repowering program: $9.5 million
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

As far as I'm concerned, it should be illegal for states to set different rates for in-state and out of state motorists.  Specific commuter plans (ONLY for commuters, including a minimum trip requirement and/or upfront cost a la the Thruway's annual permit plan) or residence plans for certain areas (such as an island that's inaccessible without paying a toll - not an area that has shunpike routes available, and definitely not an entire state) are one thing, but setting different in-state and out of state rates is just plain transponder discrimination.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

Getting back to the actual interchange in Bucks County, PA...has any work started for the other 6 movements? (e.g. Pennsylvania Turnpike EB to I-95 SB)

Roadsguy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 28, 2018, 04:25:48 PM
Getting back to the actual interchange in Bucks County, PA...has any work started for the other 6 movements? (e.g. Pennsylvania Turnpike EB to I-95 SB)

Those won't start until at least 2020. Knowing the PTC, who knows how long it'll take?

They are still serious about completing them, though the original funding only covered everything completed so far.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

lepidopteran

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 28, 2018, 04:38:30 PM

Those won't start until at least 2020.
According to the website, there are two other projects going on now, albeit not part of the direct movements.

• Reconstruction of the Bensalem interchange ramps
  • Realigning the lengthy on/off ramp to US-13.  This is being converted from a trumpet interchange to a signalized T-intersection.  However, the designs suggest that the loop ramp on the far side won't be taken out completely, but reduced to what appears to be a jughandle of sorts.  Anyone know what that's for?  https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/Route13ConnectorProjectLimits.pdf
Don't forget that before the construction of the ramps can begin, the New Falls Rd. bridge over the pike needs to be replaced so there'll be room for the ramps.  This is currently under design.

jeffandnicole

Several years before they're put out to bid.

SignBridge

Lepidopteran, why would anyone prefer a T-intersection vs. a trumpet at the end of the Route-13 interchange? Or do they anticipate a reduction in traffic there now that the I-95 interchange is open?

davewiecking

Quote from: SignBridge on November 28, 2018, 09:19:03 PM
Lepidopteran, why would anyone prefer a T-intersection vs. a trumpet at the end of the Route-13 interchange? Or do they anticipate a reduction in traffic there now that the I-95 interchange is open?

Reduction in anticipated traffic was also my guess; it seems odd to tear out a bridge just because it won't be used as much. On the other hand, if the bridge requires major work, I can see it being cheaper to tear it out.

My theory on the jug handle is it's a turn around for Turnpike snow plows...

Roadsguy

One of the things we talked with the PTC officials with at Brian Troutman's meet back in September was this interchange. The loop is for emergency turnarounds on the Turnpike now that the toll plaza is removed (note the temporary turn-around that was once present at the site of the former Delaware Valley toll plaza and today is blocked by barriers).

As for the trumpet removal, a large part of it was for pedestrian safety on the improved US 13, especially since the it isn't meant to be a high-speed road. Plus, it's one fewer bridge to maintain.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 28, 2018, 11:07:25 PMAs for the trumpet removal, a large part of it was for pedestrian safety on the improved US 13, especially since the it isn't meant to be a high-speed road. Plus, it's one fewer bridge to maintain.
About 2 miles north of the interchange area, US 13/Bristol Pike does become an expressway.  One has to wonder if there were ever plans to extend that expressway further south to at least the Turnpike interchange.  Not to mention that fact that the original plan to extend the PA 413 connector to the Delaware Valley interchange would've also included a separate interchange/connection to US 13.  That connection along with an expressway upgrade to US 13 would've likely relocated the current trumpet connection further south.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

In preliminary plans, the US 13 freeway was part of I-95. Hence I-276 ended at the Bristol interchange, and there was no need to build a new interchange at I-95 to give I-276 an end at an Interstate.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/tollroad.cfm "Pennsylvania Turnpike, 359 miles: from the Ohio State line to Bristol (the entire route except a short section at the eastern end)."
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jemacedo9

PA 295 is being renumbered to PA 297 due to this being completed:

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-8/pages/details.aspx?newsid=868

QuoteUpon the completion of a recent construction project on Interstate 95 in Bucks County, a portion of the existing limited access roadway was renamed Interstate 295. Due to the potential conflict involved in having two major Pennsylvania traffic routes designated as 295, it was decided that State Route 295 in York County would be renumbered State Route 297.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 30, 2018, 03:29:14 PM

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-8/pages/details.aspx?newsid=868

QuoteUpon the completion of a recent construction project on Interstate 95 in Bucks County, a portion of the existing limited access roadway was renamed Interstate 295. Due to the potential conflict involved in having two major Pennsylvania traffic routes designated as 295, it was decided that State Route 295 in York County would be renumbered State Route 297.
Oh well, such is another reason why the old I-95 should've been redesignated as I-695 instead of I-295.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 30, 2018, 04:43:00 PM

Oh well, such is another reason why the old I-95 should've been redesignated as I-695 instead of I-295.  :sombrero:
Wasn't the original plan to make the "new" I-295 into I-195 and truncate I-295 to Exit 60/I-195 anyway?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

briantroutman

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 30, 2018, 07:50:54 PM
Upon the completion of a recent construction project on Interstate 95 in Bucks County, a portion of the existing limited access roadway was renamed Interstate 295. Due to the potential conflict involved in having two major Pennsylvania traffic routes designated as 295, it was decided that State Route 295 in York County would be renumbered State Route 297.
Wasn't the original plan to make the "new" I-295 into I-195 and truncate I-295 to Exit 60/I-195 anyway?

Bottom line: Blame AASHTO for the "I-295 East"  silliness.

As was explained during the Golden Spike meet by representatives of the PTC and the engineering firm on the I-95 interchange project (Jacobs)–yes, that was basically the original plan (extend I-195 around Trenton to the PA Turnpike). That plan was eventually rejected by AASHTO. The PTC, PennDOT, and NJDOT jointly proposed other solutions, such as designating "old I-95"  as a new x95, and AASHTO finally just told them to "number it I-295" .

NJDOT wasn't interested in having I-295 change cardinal directions within its jurisdiction, and it also wanted to reduce the resulting resigning effort (exit numbers, milemarkers, and cardinal directions)–which would have been extensive if I-295 was thoroughly resigned as a beltway. The path of least resistance for NJDOT was to extend the existing cardinal directions, milemarker sequence from South Jersey up around Trenton and the wrong direction to the PA/NJ border. Then to avoid an immediate north-to-south transition at the border, the PTC and PennDOT had no choice but to sign its portion of I-295 as East/West.

famartin

Quote from: briantroutman on November 30, 2018, 08:26:51 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on November 30, 2018, 07:50:54 PM
Upon the completion of a recent construction project on Interstate 95 in Bucks County, a portion of the existing limited access roadway was renamed Interstate 295. Due to the potential conflict involved in having two major Pennsylvania traffic routes designated as 295, it was decided that State Route 295 in York County would be renumbered State Route 297.

Bottom line: Blame AASHTO for the "I-295 East"  silliness.

As was explained during the Golden Spike meet by representatives of the PTC and the engineering firm on the I-95 interchange project (Jacobs)–yes, that was basically the original plan (extend I-195 around Trenton to the PA Turnpike). That plan was eventually rejected by AASHTO. The PTC, PennDOT, and NJDOT jointly proposed other solutions, such as designating "old I-95"  as a new x95, and AASHTO finally just told them to "number it I-295" .

NJDOT wasn't interested in having I-295 change cardinal directions within its jurisdiction, and it also wanted to reduce the resulting resigning effort (exit numbers, milemarkers, and cardinal directions)–which would have been extensive if I-295 was thoroughly resigned as a beltway. The path of least resistance for NJDOT was to extend the existing cardinal directions, milemarker sequence from South Jersey up around Trenton and the wrong direction to the PA/NJ border. Then to avoid an immediate north-to-south transition at the border, the PTC and PennDOT had no choice but to sign its portion of I-295 as East/West.
Heh, I knew NJDOT was the stickler that caused 295 to be north-south all the way thru NJ and then switch to east west in PA...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.