News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 09, 2021, 08:26:51 PM
Was able to snap a couple of pics of the aforementioned new signage on CT 72 (forgive the raindrops).  The 1 mile advance and the gore sign still refer to Exit 7

those looking for the museum of american art will be lost for a little while

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on May 09, 2021, 09:56:09 PM
Was able to snap a couple of pics of the aforementioned new signage on CT 72 (forgive the raindrops).  The 1 mile advance and the gore sign still refer to Exit 7

those looking for the museum of american art will be lost for a little while
Most people would just use gps
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

PHLBOS

I know that such is just a generic square route shield (vs. the heavy black CTDOT outline) but that CT 372 shield just doesn't look right IMHO.  A rectangular shield and/or taller Series C numerals would be a better application here.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 10, 2021, 11:08:39 AM

I know that such is just a generic square route shield (vs. the heavy black CTDOT outline) but that CT 372 shield just doesn't look right IMHO.  A rectangular shield and/or taller Series C numerals would be a better application here.

I'm more annoyed about how they wedged that arrow in there. I know a lot of DOTs do that, but it annoys me.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on May 10, 2021, 11:40:43 AM
I'm more annoyed about how they wedged that arrow in there. I know a lot of DOTs do that, but it annoys me.
Such has been CTDOT practice for a long time.  I see some merit in doing such if there were multiple sign panels on one gantry & space was limited on right-most sign.  However, given that the above is a single-panel gantry; would either a wider panel with the arrow positioned to the right or a taller panel with the right-arrow positioned below the legend make that much of a difference in terms of wind-loads?  It's not like the Corbin Ave message is as long as Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious  :)

While such certainly needs to be considered in terms of overall structural design; its seems IMHO that the wind-loads issue (read: excuse) is becoming an overused reason for such oddball-looking signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

There's nothing wrong with that arrow.  It looks a heck of a lot better than what Mass does (see example below) ... the arrow is lost in the text.... though its probably a matter of preference.  Growing up in CT, I've always been used to the arrow to the right of the shield... or centered at the bottom of all text.

93NB-Exit38 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I'm more concerned with that route marker... it appears its a 2-digit wide marker with 3 digits squished in there.  There's a lot of 3-digit state routes along Route 9 which are under this same contract, and I hope they don't get the same treatment, though I do prefer this to the outline shield style.

The Ghostbuster

Be sure to post pictures when/if more exit signs get renumbered to mileage-based. Much obliged!

shadyjay

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 10, 2021, 05:13:35 PM
Be sure to post pictures when/if more exit signs get renumbered to mileage-based. Much obliged!

It will be interesting to see what exit tabs the signs on the Route 9 resigning from Cromwell to Berlin/New Britain to Farmington get.  The contract plans have sequential numbers, but then the Route 9 resigning from Middletown to I-95 goes back to the northern section and replaces the tabs with the mile-based numbers.  Given all 3 contracts are in progress at the same time, I hope they don't waste the time and just put up the new signs with the correct #s.  ConnDOT is trying to save money by switching a lot of extruded signs to sheet aluminum on these projects (park & ride, town lines, exit services), so it would seem logical to save more $ by doing it right the first time.

Regarding the southern project, tonight I observed new foundations installed from Middletown/Exit 11 down to Exit 7 in Haddam, southbound.  I drive by what I believe is the project's staging area regularly so when I see signs being staged, I'll try to get some shots.  We're still a little bit off from that, though.  Still no new sheet aluminums up, and the "first sign" of the project, the Exit 11 "exit now" overhead sign southbound remains up.  It was stated in the contract plans that this would be first to go early in the project and replaced with a temp sheet sign due to the overhead support structure's deterioration.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on May 10, 2021, 05:05:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with that arrow.  It looks a heck of a lot better than what Mass does (see example below) ... the arrow is lost in the text.... though its probably a matter of preference.  Growing up in CT, I've always been used to the arrow to the right of the shield... or centered at the bottom of all text.

93NB-Exit38 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
FWIW, that typical MA example is actually closer to what's been shown in past & present MUTCD graphics (see below, granted there's no route shield in the example) has the arrow centered to the right (or left if a LEFT exit) with respect to both (or all) of the control city/street name legend(s).

Nonetheless & as you mentioned, such is more of personal preference largely based on what one has seen on a regular basis in their area; you grew up in CT IIRC & I grew up in MA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

connroadgeek

Wow that exit 38 sign in Massachusetts looks just like the new Corbin Ave one! Even the gantry is the same.

bob7374

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 10, 2021, 05:13:35 PM
Here's the above sign with its new number, photo courtesy of Paul Schlichtman:

shadyjay

And we have the first new overhead on CT 9 for Exit 29.....

DSC02665 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

As can be seen, the old exit # is in use on the new sign, so I guess they really are going to put up the new signs with the old numbers, then change out the exit tabs.  I also guess that overlaying the old number on top is too logical.   Lots of new foundations are in place north of Exit 18 to I-84 so at some point, there will be a mass installation.  Within the abandoned ramps of the Stack, I observed a 4-chord truss piece and support post - though that could be for the I-84 resigning project.  Still just a single post up southbound at Exit 28 in New Britain, where a second installation will go - that is part of the state's spot overhead replacement, not part of the CT 9 resigning. 

This is the only new sign northbound.  Southbound, there is a new Lane Ends overhead just after I-91 in Cromwell.  I didn't get a pic of that, as I went a different way home, given the time (and the notorious backups on CT 9 South in Middletown in the afternoon).

jp the roadgeek

Got a (distant) shot of the APL on I-91 just before the COB interchange.  Hopefully it's a rough draft; why is Hartford used as a control when you have already crossed the city line?  Plus, there's an older sign about 100 feet later that (correctly) uses Springfield.  Also saw an erroneous temporary CT 5 sign under a CT 2 sign northbound on the bridge where it crosses over I-91. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on May 14, 2021, 09:16:24 PM
And we have the first new overhead on CT 9 for Exit 29.....

DSC02665 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

As can be seen, the old exit # is in use on the new sign, so I guess they really are going to put up the new signs with the old numbers, then change out the exit tabs.  I also guess that overlaying the old number on top is too logical.   Lots of new foundations are in place north of Exit 18 to I-84 so at some point, there will be a mass installation.  Within the abandoned ramps of the Stack, I observed a 4-chord truss piece and support post - though that could be for the I-84 resigning project.  Still just a single post up southbound at Exit 28 in New Britain, where a second installation will go - that is part of the state's spot overhead replacement, not part of the CT 9 resigning. 

This is the only new sign northbound.  Southbound, there is a new Lane Ends overhead just after I-91 in Cromwell.  I didn't get a pic of that, as I went a different way home, given the time (and the notorious backups on CT 9 South in Middletown in the afternoon).

The arrow is off center and again with the 2di shield for a 3di route. Is it that hard?
I do believe it’s the person designing the signs and not the fabricator.

I saw the plans for the I-84 signing and most of the ramp BGS plans have the control city spaces very close together. “I-84 West Waterbury” Waterbury’s font is smaller and too close together on many.

In the button copy years design errors were very few now, it seems almost every sign has something. Is it the skills of the designer? With computers you’d think it’ll be better. I really think it’s the designer and not the fabricator.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jp the roadgeek

Yeah those I-84 West signs are pretty awful.  This one is near the entrance from High St in Hartford.  (once again, got caught in a shower when I took this)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 15, 2021, 12:57:55 AM
Yeah those I-84 West signs are pretty awful.  This one is near the entrance from High St in Hartford.  (once again, got caught in a shower when I took this)

Other than Waterbury being one size too small, that looks fine.

Rothman

Drove from Norwalk up into MA yesterday, Merritt Parkway to I-91.  The speed differential between the left and right lanes was noticeably greater since my last trip.  75+ in left lane; 60-65 in the right, if that.  55 mph speed limit.  Saw one cop, going SB.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

The 1/2 mile EB single gantry for Corbin Ave (Exit 2) on CT 72 is up.  Saw it going the other way.  Same design as the WB sign.  Otherwise, no new signage, though I did see a new pier on CT 9 north near the 72 split.

Mergingtraffic

The plans are up for the new I-84 Exit 11 redo....and so are the sign plans.  WHY? WHY? WHY?  What is with the narrow font?? 
Is it that hard to design a sign now? I don't understand it.  First with the I-84 Farmington to Hartford plans and now here.

shadyjay

Exit 11 redo?  First I'm hearing of this, and I can't find any plans.  Not a fan of the "bid board".

EDIT:
Just found the "scoping" page with a project map and the project concept map.  So I'm guessing the old proposal to "reduce the profile" of this interchange is gone and what we'll have is the "stub" remaining in place, with just some widening and the only new ramp is the slip from 34W->84. 
https://portal.ct.gov/CEQ/DOT/Scoping-Notice/Major-Intersection-Improvements---Newtown--Route-34

Can't find any sign plans. 

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on May 16, 2021, 08:30:02 PM
Exit 11 redo?  First I'm hearing of this, and I can't find any plans.  Not a fan of the "bid board".

EDIT:
Just found the "scoping" page with a project map and the project concept map.  So I'm guessing the old proposal to "reduce the profile" of this interchange is gone and what we'll have is the "stub" remaining in place, with just some widening and the only new ramp is the slip from 34W->84. 
https://portal.ct.gov/CEQ/DOT/Scoping-Notice/Major-Intersection-Improvements---Newtown--Route-34

In the era of transparency, the bid board sucks.  makes it worse.  The same with the STA, its hard to see the new submissions. 

Exit 11 off-ramp will be two lanes until just before the stop light where it will be three lanes. the left lane will turn into two left-turn lanes and the right lane will be just a right-turn lane.  IDK why but the DOT gets it wrong every time! Wouldn't it make sense to make the right lane an option lane for the right-turn lane and for one of the left-turn lanes?  Instead of making drivers change lanes to access either  of the two left turn lanes?!?

The Exit 11 on-ramp will also have a APL sign before the east/west split.  The ramp curves won't be as sharp either especially on the off-ramp.  I'd link it but the new bid board doesn't allow you to.

Duke87

Quote from: Rothman on May 15, 2021, 09:41:02 AM
Drove from Norwalk up into MA yesterday, Merritt Parkway to I-91.  The speed differential between the left and right lanes was noticeably greater since my last trip.  75+ in left lane; 60-65 in the right, if that.  55 mph speed limit.  Saw one cop, going SB.

There is no speed enforcement on the parkway ever.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rothman

Quote from: Duke87 on May 17, 2021, 12:19:34 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 15, 2021, 09:41:02 AM

There is no speed enforcement on the parkway ever.
I was happy to keep up with traffic in the left lane.  Even if there was enforcement, they couldn't catch us all...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 16, 2021, 10:02:58 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 16, 2021, 08:30:02 PM

EDIT:

In the era of transparency, the bid board sucks.  makes it worse.  The same with the STA, its hard to see the new submissions. 

Exit 11 off-ramp will be two lanes until just before the stop light where it will be three lanes. the left lane will turn into two left-turn lanes and the right lane will be just a right-turn lane.  IDK why but the DOT gets it wrong every time! Wouldn't it make sense to make the right lane an option lane for the right-turn lane and for one of the left-turn lanes?  Instead of making drivers change lanes to access either  of the two left turn lanes?!?

The Exit 11 on-ramp will also have a APL sign before the east/west split.  The ramp curves won't be as sharp either especially on the off-ramp.  I'd link it but the new bid board doesn't allow you to.

The long-term plan is for the oversized interchange and freeway stub at Exit 11 to be downsized to a diamond interchange. To make that happen, the freeway stub would be dismantled, and Wasserman way would be extended a short distance north, past Route 34 to intersect I-84, where the Directional-T interchange currently sits. CONNDOT's plan was to build a rest area on the land freed up with the downsized interchange. Not sure when that will happen, but the project that CONNDOT recently advertised is for spot improvements to the existing interchanges and adjacent roadways. Of particular note is the reconfiguration of the Route 34 intersection with Toddy Hill Road, which is an absolute clusterf**k during peak travel times.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

RobbieL2415

I-91 NB Exit 29 permanently becomes a left exit on 5/26.

Portable VMSs in the work site say so.

CT 2 Exit 5B is going away forever on Thursday. CT 2 and 3 are getting IMS upgrades, among other things.
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Construction-News-from-the-Connecticut-Department-of-Transportation/2021/Intermittent-Nightly-Lane-Closures-on-Route-2-in-East-Hartford-Hartford-and-Glastonbury

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.