News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytout

Driving the New I91 NB Exit 29 Flyover onto the COB 6/1/2021.

The APL's have most of their arrows temporarily removed as the flyover only has one lane right now but will eventually have 2.
I want to gripe a little bit about the state route shields on the new BGS's for this project.  the numbers are smaller than they should be and are of type C instead of Type D which is standard for all shields on BGS 1, 2 and 3D. (compare to the standard size type D font on the US route shield).

Old Ramp Closed.
-Chris

abqtraveler

Quote from: wytout on June 01, 2021, 11:00:55 AM

The APL's have most of their arrows temporarily removed as the flyover only has one lane right now but will eventually have 2.
I want to gripe a little bit about the state route shields on the new BGS's for this project.  the numbers are smaller than they should be and are of type C instead of Type D which is standard for all shields on BGS 1, 2 and 3D. (compare to the standard size type D font on the US route shield).

Old Ramp Closed.

I still don't understand the logic behind moving the I-91 NB to US-5/CT-15 NB ramp from the right side to the left. Conventional wisdom would tell me that it would make more sense to eliminate left-hand exits, rather than create them. Maybe someone knows something that I don't, but it doesn't make sense to me.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

paul02474

I still don't understand the logic behind moving the I-91 NB to US-5/CT-15 NB ramp from the right side to the left. Conventional wisdom would tell me that it would make more sense to eliminate left-hand exits, rather than create them. Maybe someone knows something that I don't, but it doesn't make sense to me.

This isn't just another exit. Given the amount of traffic using I-91 to reach I-84 heading toward Boston, it could be the predominant traffic flow. If not, it is making way for a steady stream of Boston drivers.

wytout

Quote from: paul02474 on June 01, 2021, 11:56:00 AM

This isn't just another exit. Given the amount of traffic using I-91 to reach I-84 heading toward Boston, it could be the predominant traffic flow. If not, it is making way for a steady stream of Boston drivers.

Agreed, this is one place where a very large percentage of "through" traffic is making it's way from 91 NB to 84EB via the COB, and due to the curve in I91, the "left exit" is really more of a "straight through" movement.  The old right hander would back up  onto 91 on the least traveled days of the year, never mind busy seasons.
-Chris

jp the roadgeek

Interesting that the APL only recognizes CT 15 but the smaller sign has both 5 and 15.  My gripes are with the controls.  I've already spouted off ad nauseum about how Hartford should not be a control for I-91 since you've already crossed the city line (should be Springfield and Waterbury [which is understandable for 84 west, although long distance traffic would've used I-691]), but I thought using bridges as controls was no longer en vogue; even I-84 Exit 54 no longer references the Founders Bridge. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: paul02474 on June 01, 2021, 11:56:00 AM

I still don't think it's going to work.  The backups will still occur as people maneuver to the correct lane before the exit, similar to I-84 East @ US-7 North split in Danbury. 

I drove the ramp over the weekend and it's a fatal accident waiting happen.  The left lane now comes to a complete stop as people merge over to the left lane to exit.  And because it's still only ONE lane, what happened on the right with the old exit, now happens on the left which makes it even more dangerous. The left lane is a dead stop while the right two lanes continue to move faster.  On top of that, I noticed traffic stayed slow until you got to the top of the incline on the new exit.  I think that will continue when the second lane opens.  I also think given what I just said, they should have waited and opened both lanes at once.  I even saw a rear-ender when I drove by too. Not good.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

In reference to the 2nd photo above which shows "5-15 North/Charter Oak Bridge", that's meant more of an auxiliary sign, replacing the former standalone ground mount sign that said "Charter Oak Bridge".  I'm not sure why, but ConnDOT seems to fluctuate signing US 5 with CT 15 at this interchange.  Original signs just said "CT 15", then in the 90s button copy replacements added "US 5", then replacements removed "US 5" again. 

"Hartford" being used a control city within the city limits... well, I think its the right call.  Not too many people are going to get off Exit 27 to go to Hartford proper.  The loss of the "3 LEFT EXIT" combo sign prior to Exit 29 may have spurred this.  That, and the fact that CT is transitioning to much smaller town line signs and omitting "NEXT ## EXITS" or "EXITS ##-##".  I think such a sign is useful and should appear before Exit 27, as a standalone sign..... "HARTFORD NEXT # EXITS/DOWNTOWN USE EXIT 29A or 32B".  Its tough though, given two exits in the middle that don't go to Hartford (28 and 29) and the fact that 3/4 of Hartford's exits are left exits. 

Perhaps opening the ramp on the eve of Memorial Day weekend was a little much... you're looking at a big traffic change for motorists, and some online map providers are slow to update ramp locations.  Remember, most people these days just go by what their phone/GPS tells them to do... never mind the big green signs staring at them.  Give it time, and it will work.

Yes, left exits are not ideal, but with the lay of the land here, your options are limited.  The only other option I could see is having the exit diverge where Exit 27 is now, but then you'd have to get over a lane or two so that you wouldn't be forced back to I-91.  Then you'd have to find a new way for 15 NB motorists to get to Brainard Rd since that ramp would cut off access.  Outside of a complete redo of the roadway configuration of 91 and 15 through the area, your options are limited.  Would it have made more sense to do what Meriden does and have 15 on the inside and 91 on the outside?  That would've been years and years of road work.  At least ConnDOT has fast-tracked this project, and the low volumes of 2020 more than likely accelerated the work.

connroadgeek

Those APL signs are such a waste of space. Half the height of the sign is just arrows. Can't have a service bar because of wind loading or whatever BS excuse, but we can have a giant 6 foot tall sign that is half empty space?

DrSmith

Also appears Brainard airport is being demoted from the exit signage

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: DrSmith on June 01, 2021, 09:57:06 PM
Doesn't it have no commercial flights?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: DrSmith on June 01, 2021, 09:57:06 PM
Doesn't it have no commercial flights?
I don't think so. It really doesn't do anything since Bradley is just 25 minutes north on I-91 and is much larger.

Old Ramp Closed.

It's neat how they're redoing the intersection to flow better since it's always been terrible at rush hour. I've probably lost days of my life just sitting there waiting to get onto CT 15 from I-91 north.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

kurumi

Brainard has been only general aviation and some private corporate for as long as I can remember. It's the only airport where I've done takeoff and landing (Cessna 152, with instructor, age 14. Too bad it's such an expensive hobby)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mergingtraffic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: JJBers on June 02, 2021, 12:17:37 AM
It's neat how they're redoing the intersection to flow better since it's always been terrible at rush hour. I've probably lost days of my life just sitting there waiting to get onto CT 15 from I-91 north.

There was a secret to beating that: Get off Exit 27, turn around in one of the lots on Brainard Rd, then get back on Route 15 northbound.  Saved me a couple times.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 01, 2021, 11:47:36 AM

Old Ramp Closed.

Couple reasons:

1. It's a 2-3 split with a generous 4 to 5 lane approach, as opposed to just an offramp. Hopefully this also corrects the queue-jumping issue with the old ramp

2. There is no steep grade as with the old ramp (a stop-gap solution I suggested on here was to impose a truck/school bus ban and have them all routed via the Putnam Bridge and CT 2)

3. There is no weave necessary to stay on 5/15 north, however, now there's a weave from Exit 29 to Exit 90, and traffic on 5/15 NB must move over a lane to stay on 91N as the right lane is now exit only.

The biggest mystery to me is why Exit 87 on 5/15 SB wasn't widened, or at least given an option lane with a zipper merge. The only reason I can think of is the footprint for the flyover ramp is too large to accommodate another 12' wide lane.

shadyjay

Is it possible that ConnDOT plans a southbound "congestion buster" in the future to alleviate the Exit 87 merge?  Probably not, as traffic doesn't back up on I-91 as much southbound, but my suggestion would be to widen the "secondary ramp" to the south, smooth the curve, add 2 lanes to it, and thus it would enter I-91 South on the right.  I-91 South could be widened from 3 to 4 lanes south from the Rt 15 overpass down to Rt 3/Exit 25.  You wouldn't have the trucks in the far left lane trying to get 2 lanes over, tying up everything, and I-91 South could have a consistant 3 lanes through this area (I'd get rid of the Exit 27 "Exit Only" lane and with the removal of the ramp from 5/15 South, shift I-91 South lanes over to the left).

I should draw up a map.  Another time.  Not now.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 02, 2021, 07:47:52 AM
Some concepts for I-84 Danbury:

https://www.i84danbury.com/concepts/?fbclid=IwAR0FECSOQHcEzHgN67FrA_kKd0eY4EKEDg8g0LHqrG3FWFVx2P9zH8hkmZs

I just checked out option 7 and it has a tunnel between exits 3-4. Concept 6 is a waste. Concept 1 is ok but they dropped the EB exit 7 on-ramp and exit 8 off ramp combo from a previous study. In an earlier study exit 8 would exit before the exit 7 in-ramp

vdeane

I wonder what happened to concepts 2-5.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: shadyjay on June 02, 2021, 05:15:24 PM
Is it possible that ConnDOT plans a southbound "congestion buster" in the future to alleviate the Exit 87 merge?  Probably not, as traffic doesn't back up on I-91 as much southbound, but my suggestion would be to widen the "secondary ramp" to the south, smooth the curve, add 2 lanes to it, and thus it would enter I-91 South on the right.  I-91 South could be widened from 3 to 4 lanes south from the Rt 15 overpass down to Rt 3/Exit 25.  You wouldn't have the trucks in the far left lane trying to get 2 lanes over, tying up everything, and I-91 South could have a consistant 3 lanes through this area (I'd get rid of the Exit 27 "Exit Only" lane and with the removal of the ramp from 5/15 South, shift I-91 South lanes over to the left).

I should draw up a map.  Another time.  Not now.

I just came home that way on Memorial Day. Exit 87 was backed up like nothing else. No one was following the signs to the next exit and I merged right into 91 with no issue at all. I say leave things as they are.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2021, 09:16:25 PM

Quote from: i84danbury.comAs concepts are developed, they will be added to this page.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 02, 2021, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 02, 2021, 07:47:52 AM
Some concepts for I-84 Danbury:

https://www.i84danbury.com/concepts/?fbclid=IwAR0FECSOQHcEzHgN67FrA_kKd0eY4EKEDg8g0LHqrG3FWFVx2P9zH8hkmZs

I just checked out option 7 and it has a tunnel between exits 3-4. Concept 6 is a waste. Concept 1 is ok but they dropped the EB exit 7 on-ramp and exit 8 off ramp combo from a previous study. In an earlier study exit 8 would exit before the exit 7 in-ramp

I think Option 7 doesn't stand a snowball's chance in a blast furnace for ever getting selected for construction. It would cut right through a residential neighborhood with some fairly rough terrain. But...I think ConnDOT put it in there to show folks what the realm of the possible is, and it gives them something to compare their preferred alternative (whatever that may be) against when they prepare the EIS for the project.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

The Ghostbuster

If I lived in the area, I would support Concept 1. Moving the left-handed ramps to the right-hand side seems like a no-brainer to me. Concept 6 seems too limited to me, and I don't see Concept 7 being constructed in a city the size of Danbury.

vdeane

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 03, 2021, 08:44:16 AM

Quote from: i84danbury.comAs concepts are developed, they will be added to this page.
Then shouldn't concepts 6-7 be concepts 2-3?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: vdeane on June 03, 2021, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 03, 2021, 08:44:16 AM

Then shouldn't concepts 6-7 be concepts 2-3?

Concepts are not numbered in the order they are added to the website. The concepts were already broadly conceived, and numbered in a logical order. Now detailed materials (map, summary, etc.) are being developed and added to the website. Some concepts take longer to flesh out all the details than others. Once all of them have been added to the website, the numbering will make more sense.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

connroadgeek

I think concept 1 is best. The one thing I would add to it is the new Segar St ramp from concept 6 to solve the 84 E/B exit 4 weaving, though with the new right handed flyunder ramps for W/B exit 3 I'm not sure there would be enough real estate to fit all of the new ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.