News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Oh now that's funky.

There are several places where pairs of frontage roads are state-maintained, but this is the only case where one frontage road is state maintained and the other is not!

I also find this interesting considering all the work Stamford has done and is doing to build their "urban transitway" east of the train station along Dock St, Jefferson St, and Myrtle Ave over to route 1 east of downtown. You would think that road, at least once finished, would be of much greater state interest than South State St.

At any rate, I'm going to play hipster roadgeek and obnoxiously claim I clinched CT 790 years before it existed. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jp the roadgeek

Knowing CT, they'll probably number the little connector ramp being built to the New Britain FasTrac terminal SR 594 in honor of the number of millions of dollars used to build the boondoggle.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

A couple observations from my trip to CT last weekend:

Routes travelled:
I-91 from Exit 22 to 49/Mass
I-95 from Exit 69 to 85
I-395 from Exit 79A to 81
CT 2 from Exit 28 west to Exit 18
CT 2A from Exit "3" to I-395
CT 9 from Exit 1 to 20

*  Still missing a gantry on I-91 SB at Exit 40, though scheduled to be replaced.
*  The brown sign that said "EXIT 33/XFINITY THEATER" on I-91 has been modified.  The exit tab is still brown, but the
    sign is now blue says "ATTRACTIONS" with a brown box saying "XFINITY THEATER".  The "ATTRACTIONS" signs are
    new to CT.  They are normally similar to the FOOD / FUEL / LODGING signs. 
*  No signs of sign replacement on I-395 yet, though the project is still in its infamy.  Did see a SB sign for the 
    Montville Service Plaza.  The old button copy "REST AREA - GAS-FOOD" has been replaced with "SERVICE PLAZA - 
    FOOD - FUEL". 
*  I-95 NB was congested between Exits 70 and 74.  No surprise - a sunny Saturday in mid June.
*  An accident had the intersection of CT 9 Exit 7 and CT 154 closed.  Those "in the know" will know that this is a 3-
   mile long ramp.  We made it all the way to just before the intersection when we were forced to turn around.  They
   should've had a cop blocking off the exit from CT 9.  The NB VMS did say "RAMP TO CT 154 CLOSED" but should've
   said EXIT 7 closed.  SB VMS said nothing.  Apparently the accident resulted in a fatality.
*  Only major delay on the return trip home was CT 9 at the work zone between Exits 9 & 10, which is down to a single
    lane.  It's a "smart work zone" but I can't find a web site for it.  Was surprised to see NO DELAY on the 91 NB Exit
    29 ramp. 
*  Still no new-style "reduce speed ahead" signs on CT limited-access highways.  These are the yellow diamonds with an
    up arrow and a speed limit sign.  They're becoming quite common in the rest of New England.
*  Out of State-related:  lots of new signage on I-91 in Mass through Springfield.  See the "I-91 Sign Replacement"
    thread for details.

MikeTheActuary

The Courant has a story about Tuesday's I-84 viaduct public hearing.

High points:

• Still years away
  • Estimated $3-$5 billion cost, not yet funded
  • Construction will take at least 5 years, once begun
  • Maybe completion 10-15 years from now
  • Surface or slightly-sub-grade freeway (as opposed to a new viaduct or a mini-big-dig) still the probable plan

southshore720

Why not have an elevated "express I-84" and then frontage roads to cover Downtown Hartford?  That would eliminate all of the tight interchanges and would allow for a smoother interchange at I-91.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: southshore720 on June 18, 2014, 10:10:20 AM
Why not have an elevated "express I-84" and then frontage roads to cover Downtown Hartford?  That would eliminate all of the tight interchanges and would allow for a smoother interchange at I-91.

$$$$$$

connroadgeek

Quote from: shadyjay on June 17, 2014, 09:26:57 PM
A couple observations from my trip to CT last weekend:

Routes travelled:
I-91 from Exit 22 to 49/Mass
I-95 from Exit 69 to 85
I-395 from Exit 79A to 81
CT 2 from Exit 28 west to Exit 18
CT 2A from Exit "3" to I-395
CT 9 from Exit 1 to 20

*  Still missing a gantry on I-91 SB at Exit 40, though scheduled to be replaced.
*  The brown sign that said "EXIT 33/XFINITY THEATER" on I-91 has been modified.  The exit tab is still brown, but the
    sign is now blue says "ATTRACTIONS" with a brown box saying "XFINITY THEATER".  The "ATTRACTIONS" signs are
    new to CT.  They are normally similar to the FOOD / FUEL / LODGING signs. 
*  No signs of sign replacement on I-395 yet, though the project is still in its infamy.  Did see a SB sign for the 
    Montville Service Plaza.  The old button copy "REST AREA - GAS-FOOD" has been replaced with "SERVICE PLAZA - 
    FOOD - FUEL". 
*  I-95 NB was congested between Exits 70 and 74.  No surprise - a sunny Saturday in mid June.
*  An accident had the intersection of CT 9 Exit 7 and CT 154 closed.  Those "in the know" will know that this is a 3-
   mile long ramp.  We made it all the way to just before the intersection when we were forced to turn around.  They
   should've had a cop blocking off the exit from CT 9.  The NB VMS did say "RAMP TO CT 154 CLOSED" but should've
   said EXIT 7 closed.  SB VMS said nothing.  Apparently the accident resulted in a fatality.
*  Only major delay on the return trip home was CT 9 at the work zone between Exits 9 & 10, which is down to a single
    lane.  It's a "smart work zone" but I can't find a web site for it.  Was surprised to see NO DELAY on the 91 NB Exit
    29 ramp. 
*  Still no new-style "reduce speed ahead" signs on CT limited-access highways.  These are the yellow diamonds with an
    up arrow and a speed limit sign.  They're becoming quite common in the rest of New England.
*  Out of State-related:  lots of new signage on I-91 in Mass through Springfield.  See the "I-91 Sign Replacement"
    thread for details.

CT 9 exit 7 is for CT 82. Also, the attractions signs have been in use for years along I-95 in Fairfield County, and I've started seeing them pop up along the rest of 95 too, so perhaps they are starting to spread to other highways. Regarding reduce speed ahead signs, the CT standard seems to be a large rectangular sign on both sides of the road when it's not temporary due to something like a sharp curve where yellow diamonds are used sometimes accompanied by alternating flashers.

shadyjay

Oh, I'm well aware of Exit 7 going to CT 82.  However, the VMS said "RAMP TO ROUTE 154 CLOSED".  This is the VMS right after Exit 6's merge at the Wig Hill Road overpass.  The VMS message was the confusing part.  To make any sense, it should have said EXIT 7 CLOSED, as there is nothing - absolutely nothing - on CT 82 between CT 9 and CT 154.  It's a "Super 3" with no interchanges.  So we decided to take Exit 7 anyway, and got to within site of the CT 154 intersection where we were forced to turn around.  We also saw CT 154 itself was closed.  So we headed back "west" to CT 9 North, then decided to change our plans, reversed at Exit 8 and headed south.  The VMS before Exit 7 had no message whatsoever.  I'm guessing there were a lot of pissed off people on that ramp.

Come to think of it, I did see a VMS earlier this year on I-95 in Westbrook for Exit 64.  What struck me as odd with the I-91 Exit 33 sign is that there was NOTHING wrong with the old regular brown sign saying "xFinity Theater".  It's been up since they built the Meadows, saying "Music Theater" first, then "Comcast Theater".  There are so many brown attraction signs out there "in the wild" but to take a small one and convert it blue and squish in an ATTRACTIONS and the xFinity Theater box seems odd. 

I wonder when ConnDOT will switch to the new standard yellow diamond for a reduced speed ahead sign on an interstate.  My guess will be "eventually".  Just look at how far behind CT is from the other 47 contiguous states as far as various highway-related items:  abolishing the 55 mph limit ..... aligned exit tabs ..... service symbols ..... etc.   

shadyjay

Here's a thought that just occured to me...

Given the MUTCD's new stricter requirements/regulations on what can be posted on a particular exit's BGS, it got me thinking about some exits on I-95 in Eastern Connecticut.  When it comes time for those signs to be replaced, will we see Exit 86's US Sub Base, Exit 87's Clarence B. Sharp Hwy, and Exit 90's Mystic Aquarium/Seaport disappear from primary BGSs?  And what will they be replaced with? 

I've always thought Exit 86 should include LEDYARD over the present Gales Ferry.  And Exit 87 used to also have a control "city" of Industrial Area on 1980s-era signage.  Exit 90 has, for as long as I can remember, had the two Mystic attractions.  Only in the late 90s was the sign modified so that only the EXIT 90 and route marker were in the green, with the rest of the sign brown (to denote attractions). 

I have no idea what ConnDOT's timetable to replace this signage is, but I wonder what will happen with those exits.  Seeing as how UMASS and JFK LIBRARY are being stripped from signs on I-93 in Boston, and the desire to not have a highway name on a BGS in favor of something more "concrete".  NYC lost most of its highway names from BGSs.... could good ole' Clarence B. Sharp fall by the wayside?

And also, whatever made Brainard Airport in Hartford so special that it got on the EXIT 27 BGSs for all these years?  It's not that major of an airport by any means.  Seems like it should be put on a secondary sign.  I don't see TWEED, WBY-OXFORD, GROTON- NEW LONDON, DANIELSON, or even SIKORSKY on BGSs.   

Just a thought during this longest day of the year....

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: shadyjay on June 21, 2014, 08:50:10 PM
And also, whatever made Brainard Airport in Hartford so special that it got on the EXIT 27 BGSs for all these years?  It's not that major of an airport by any means.  Seems like it should be put on a secondary sign.  I don't see TWEED, WBY-OXFORD, GROTON- NEW LONDON, DANIELSON, or even SIKORSKY on BGSs.   

If you count by number of landings/takeoffs, unless I'm mistaken, Brainard is the busiest airport in the state.  Its operations count is a little bit higher than Bradley's, and it's almost double that of the busiest airport on your list.

southshore720

Given the MUTCD's new stricter requirements/regulations on what can be posted on a particular exit's BGS, it got me thinking about some exits on I-95 in Eastern Connecticut.  When it comes time for those signs to be replaced, will we see Exit 86's US Sub Base, Exit 87's Clarence B. Sharp Hwy, and Exit 90's Mystic Aquarium/Seaport disappear from primary BGSs?  And what will they be replaced with? 

I've always thought Exit 86 should include LEDYARD over the present Gales Ferry.  And Exit 87 used to also have a control "city" of Industrial Area on 1980s-era signage.  Exit 90 has, for as long as I can remember, had the two Mystic attractions.  Only in the late 90s was the sign modified so that only the EXIT 90 and route marker were in the green, with the rest of the sign brown (to denote attractions). 

I have no idea what ConnDOT's timetable to replace this signage is, but I wonder what will happen with those exits.  Seeing as how UMASS and JFK LIBRARY are being stripped from signs on I-93 in Boston, and the desire to not have a highway name on a BGS in favor of something more "concrete".  NYC lost most of its highway names from BGSs.... could good ole' Clarence B. Sharp fall by the wayside?

Shadyjay, on a recent spot replacement of a sign bridge on I-95 S for Exit 87, There is a new sign with a "Left Exit Tab" for CT 349 and it is still "Clarence B. Sharp Hwy."  The replaced sign on the same sign bridge for Exit 86 also guides to "U.S. Sub Base / Gales Ferry."  So I don't think you will see changes with either one.

I would be interested to see changes in Exit 90.  They should put the attractions on an auxiliary ground-based BGS and use "Downtown Mystic" as the control.

connroadgeek

I think all of those airports have BGSes, including Chester Airport. Danielson I'm not sure about.

shadyjay

You know, I thought about that new assembly on I-95 South retaining the "status quo" of control points.  But I wonder if that's just because it was a spot replacement, vs an all-out complete replacement of all signage.

Regarding the airports, all are listed on secondary signage.  What I just find odd is that Brainard Airport makes it onto the primary BGSs for Exit 27.  I could see if it was a commercial airport getting that kind of treatment, but wonder if in the next round of sign replacement, will Brainard Airport go on a secondary (ground) sign?  Guess we'll find out in 2030.

connroadgeek

Quote from: shadyjay on June 22, 2014, 08:25:39 PM
You know, I thought about that new assembly on I-95 South retaining the "status quo" of control points.  But I wonder if that's just because it was a spot replacement, vs an all-out complete replacement of all signage.

Regarding the airports, all are listed on secondary signage.  What I just find odd is that Brainard Airport makes it onto the primary BGSs for Exit 27.  I could see if it was a commercial airport getting that kind of treatment, but wonder if in the next round of sign replacement, will Brainard Airport go on a secondary (ground) sign?  Guess we'll find out in 2030.
I just assumed Brainard Airport is the main destination for that exit. Where else does that ramp go? Simple answer is no where. There's a few stores, a McDonald's, and a hotel or two, but that exit dumps you off right in front of the airport, and is on a sliver of land penned in by the Connecticut River and I-91. If it weren't for the airport, I don't think that exit would even exist. None of the other airports are sitting that close to the end of their exit ramps (with Bradley being the obvious exception).

iwishiwascanadian

Quote from: connroadgeek on June 24, 2014, 10:04:43 PM
I just assumed Brainard Airport is the main destination for that exit. Where else does that ramp go? Simple answer is no where. There's a few stores, a McDonald's, and a hotel or two, but that exit dumps you off right in front of the airport, and is on a sliver of land penned in by the Connecticut River and I-91. If it weren't for the airport, I don't think that exit would even exist. None of the other airports are sitting that close to the end of their exit ramps (with Bradley being the obvious exception).

The South Meadows (the neighborhood of Hartford that Exit 27 is in) is one of the two industrial areas of Hartford, it's the southern equivalent to the North Meadows (Exit 33).  While the North Meadows has the music venue, expo center, car dealerships, the Hartford Jail, and the old dump/police headquarters the South Meadows has Brainard, the water treatment plant, trash to energy plant, the Hartford Regional Market and serves as a gateway between I-91/the Charter Oak Bridge and the city's southwestern neighborhoods.

In other words, the exit is kinda important.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on June 25, 2014, 01:54:18 AM
Quote from: connroadgeek on June 24, 2014, 10:04:43 PM

The South Meadows (the neighborhood of Hartford that Exit 27 is in) is one of the two industrial areas of Hartford, it's the southern equivalent to the North Meadows (Exit 33).  While the North Meadows has the music venue, expo center, car dealerships, the Hartford Jail, and the old dump/police headquarters the South Meadows has Brainard, the water treatment plant, trash to energy plant, the Hartford Regional Market and serves as a gateway between I-91/the Charter Oak Bridge and the city's southwestern neighborhoods.

In other words, the exit is kinda important.

Sure, like Ty Law's Launch trampoline park doesn't exist. 

JakeFromNewEngland

Does anyone what ConnDOT's major projects for this year are? I would assume the most important are probably continuing construction on the Q Bridge and the Moses Wheeler Bridge on I-95.

Btw- This is reply 666.  :biggrin:

Marc_in_CT

Quote from: Jake2000 on June 25, 2014, 08:27:06 PM
Does anyone what ConnDOT's major projects for this year are? I would assume the most important are probably continuing construction on the Q Bridge and the Moses Wheeler Bridge on I-95.

The Route 34, Naugatuck River Bridge rehab in Derby is a pretty big one that is going to make my daily commute a royal pain in the neck for the next 2 years:
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=544138

shadyjay

Quote from: Marc_in_CT on June 26, 2014, 11:31:56 AM
The Route 34, Naugatuck River Bridge rehab in Derby is a pretty big one that is going to make my daily commute a royal pain in the neck for the next 2 years:
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=544138

You know, when I first saw this, I got my hopes up, thinking that the Stevenson Dam project on Route 34 was finally going to get underway.  That was my first job I did when I started surveying back in '99.  Then I remembered that's the Housatonic River... actually Lake Zoar, and not the Naugatuck.

As far as major ConnDOT projects for this year... well, not really, more like this decade...
In addition to those mentioned, there's also the I-95 West River and Norwalk projects, plus the Merritt Parkway safety improvements in Stamford/New Canaan.  Starting relatively soon (well, bids are about to go out) is the I-84 Waterbury widening.  Those are the real big ones, road-related.

Edited for quote clarity

KEVIN_224

I-84 at Exit 30 in Southington will be completely closed in both directions this weekend. It's for a hyperfix bridge replacement project, similar to what was done to the west last fall at New York's Exit 21 in Southeast.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/I-84-in-Southington-Closed-This-Weekend-264755631.html

UPDATE: Article about the hyperfix from the New Britain Herald:
http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2014/06/27/news/doc53acdfadc447c994937385.txt

It says you can also go to www.ct.gov/dot and follow a travel alert notice on the page for a live construction feed. Or just go here:

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ctdot/interstate84/

connroadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 27, 2014, 12:04:06 AM
I-84 at Exit 30 in Southington will be completely closed in both directions this weekend. It's for a hyperfix bridge replacement project, similar to what was done to the west last fall at New York's Exit 21 in Southeast.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/I-84-in-Southington-Closed-This-Weekend-264755631.html

UPDATE: Article about the hyperfix from the New Britain Herald:
http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2014/06/27/news/doc53acdfadc447c994937385.txt

It says you can also go to www.ct.gov/dot and follow a travel alert notice on the page for a live construction feed. Or just go here:

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ctdot/interstate84/
Thanks for the link. This is gonna be like when they opened the first lanes of the new Q-Bridge: I'm gonna be sitting here watching until something interesting happens. It's too addictive! I probably would have been better off not knowing this work was happening this weekend.

KEVIN_224

No, this photo is NOT from the O.J. Simpson slow speed chase of 1994. I happened to catch the I-84 Westbound span at Marion Avenue in Southington, CT (Exit 30) reopen live. How nice! :D

shadyjay

Nice...Nice.... but this one is not bad either, from Time Lapse Camera #3...

Mergingtraffic

and like NY last fall in Brewster, the project completed ahead of schedule.  I wish they'd do this more often like on CT-34 in Derby. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Pete from Boston

Sounds a lot like the Medford, Mass., bridges replacement on I-93 in 2011.  Each was done in a weekend, and the results still seem good.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.