Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Interstate 15 north of Barstow to the State Line

<< < (2/16) > >>

skluth:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 03:55:42 PM ---For the most part I would probably say Iíve just been waved through at about 95% of agriculture checkpoints on California State Highways.  I donít see the point in stopping or slowing passenger traffic on I-15 when a grace separated agricultural station for commercial vehicles exists at the new facility.  California is the only state that does things like this with agricultural checkpoints.

--- End quote ---

You have CA plates. You're much more likely to be stopped with out-of-state plates. I've always been questioned with non-CA plates, but now that I have CA plates I get waved through every time. The questioning isn't any more thorough than a couple quick questions. But I get it with how important and varied California agriculture is to the economy, both state and national.

Florida also operates agriculture inspection stations. I believe Arizona once had one on I-40 coming from New Mexico. Hawaii is also strict with agriculture imports, but it's not like anyone is driving there.

Plutonic Panda:
I drove through dozens of times with Oklahoma plated and never once stopped or even questioned.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: skluth on October 17, 2021, 04:57:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 03:55:42 PM ---For the most part I would probably say Iíve just been waved through at about 95% of agriculture checkpoints on California State Highways.  I donít see the point in stopping or slowing passenger traffic on I-15 when a grace separated agricultural station for commercial vehicles exists at the new facility.  California is the only state that does things like this with agricultural checkpoints.

--- End quote ---

You have CA plates. You're much more likely to be stopped with out-of-state plates. I've always been questioned with non-CA plates, but now that I have CA plates I get waved through every time. The questioning isn't any more thorough than a couple quick questions. But I get it with how important and varied California agriculture is to the economy, both state and national.

Florida also operates agriculture inspection stations. I believe Arizona once had one on I-40 coming from New Mexico. Hawaii is also strict with agriculture imports, but it's not like anyone is driving there.

--- End quote ---

Amusingly the majority of my state crossings was when I was an Arizona resident with Arizona plates.  Prior to moving to California I actually worked here twice circa 2007-2010 and 2011-2013.  I lived in Florida from 2014-2016 which is why I had said state in mind with how the agricultural inspections are handled differently off grade with commercial vehicles.  I can see the merits of just putting a station in the middle of the road on roads US 199 and CA 139 given the low traffic counts.  I-15 is obviously having a traffic issue which is only being worsened by the antiquated practice of stopping/slowing passenger vehicles at the agricultural inspection station.

andy3175:
https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/las-vegas-mayor-again-calls-for-i-15-widening-amid-ca-port-hour-expansion/article_2a7f4d56-2d06-11ec-bdd9-b771644b48d3.html

Las Vegas Mayor Goodman suggested that in addition to the frustration of weekly traffic delays, I-15 improvements are also needed as result of expanding operating hours at the Port of Los Angeles.

--- Quote ---Mayor of Las Vegas Carolyn Goodman on Thursday again called for the widening of the Interstate 15 between the Nevada state line and Barstow. Goodman's renewed push comes following Wednesday's announcement that President Joe Biden's administration helped facilitate the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach to operate around the clock, seven days a week.

"This is a big first step in speeding up the movement of materials and goods through our supply chain," said Biden.

Now, weekends are among the times that port activity will be open. Weekends are when the I-15 is often the busiest with congestion. ...

FOX5 spoke to the California Department of Transportation's communications officials Thursday, and they said they have no plans to fix it. Instead, they are hoping the pending high-speed railway will improve things.

"Currently Caltrans does not have any projects on the books so to speak to build any widening or anything that would address traffic specifically at state line," said Terri Kasinga, chief of public and media affairs for Caltrans.

Goodman hopes to go over California's officials heads by getting Washington involved.

"Only the president has the power to say, 'Yes, we'll have an environmental study,' but 'Yes, I want this done now,' and, 'Yes, I want this done quickly, because of all this freight,'" said Goodman.

She's pleading with Nevada Congresswoman Dina Titus get the U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg on her side with this.

"She is very, very much in leadership for transportation. So my hope is she'll sit down with our Secretary Buttigieg, and then the president, and move this," said Goodman.
--- End quote ---

Plutonic Panda:
A coupe of days ago I drove from LA to OKC taking a detour route along I-15 going through Las Vegas and then south via 93 to I-40. I canít recall that Iíve ever seen as many semis the entire way it was insane. So many semis broken down on the shoulder, packed the lots were at fuel and truck stations, I witnessed a homeowner and a semi truck in a fight in Oklahoma given the fact the semi driver appeared to just park in his driveway.

Lots of rude people as well. The holidays are going to be fun this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version