Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Interstate 15 north of Barstow to the State Line

<< < (13/16) > >>

roadfro:

--- Quote from: roadfro on November 02, 2021, 10:33:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: ilpt4u on November 02, 2021, 06:40:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 06:32:48 PM ---Unlikely.  Nevada isn’t the problem pertaining to expansion of I-15, it’s just California.  The real issue is Barstow-Nevada State Line.

--- End quote ---
Exactly. And SW direction is the problem, in California, generally on Sundays or the end of long Holiday weekends. <...>

--- End quote ---
The problem is all because I-15 is 3 Lanes in Nevada, but the third lane drops at Primm right before the state line. I wonder if it would help if CalTrans widened I-15 southbound just to the agriculture checkpoint—that's a natural choke point anyway, and if they actually stopped passenger cars then it would act somewhat as a meter feeding back in to two lanes.

--- End quote ---

Ask and ye shall receive, I guess... In a joint press conference this morning, California Governor Newsom & Nevada Governor Sisolak announced that Caltrans is working on an "immediate relief" project to address the southbound congestion at the state line.

Sisolak, Newsom promise ‘immediate relief’ for I-15 traffic at Nevada-California border, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12/5/2021

--- Quote from: Las Vegas Review-Journal ---<...>
Newsom said they will take the shoulder about five miles south of the border and make it a third lane during peak hours. The project will cost about $12 million, but Newsom says existing money will be used to complete the project. He says it will be done by Summer 2022, but a more permanent solution is still needed.
<...>
--- End quote ---

If you watch the video included in the article (which starts during Q&A after the actual announcement), the impetus for this was apparently Governor Sisolak making a phone call to Governor Newsom to look into it, and in a subsequent call Sisolak also stating that the first response "wasn't good enough".

A quick measure on Google Maps indicates it's about 5.4 miles from the NV/CA state line to the point where the I-15 SB lanes start to widen out in approach to the agriculture checkpoint—so it looks like I was on to something! Peak period shoulder running isn't as good as a permanent third lane, but it should be a start.

Max Rockatansky:
Damn, California finally caved.  I didn’t expect something like this for years. 

Techknow:
Oh wow. I was wondering a while ago how many freeways in California have the right shoulder lane usable for peak traffic (I'll make a new topic.) Now there will be a new addition to this. Truly an example of kicking the proverbial can down the road.

michravera:

--- Quote from: roadfro on December 05, 2021, 03:19:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: roadfro on November 02, 2021, 10:33:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: ilpt4u on November 02, 2021, 06:40:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 06:32:48 PM ---Unlikely.  Nevada isn’t the problem pertaining to expansion of I-15, it’s just California.  The real issue is Barstow-Nevada State Line.

--- End quote ---
Exactly. And SW direction is the problem, in California, generally on Sundays or the end of long Holiday weekends. <...>

--- End quote ---
The problem is all because I-15 is 3 Lanes in Nevada, but the third lane drops at Primm right before the state line. I wonder if it would help if CalTrans widened I-15 southbound just to the agriculture checkpoint—that's a natural choke point anyway, and if they actually stopped passenger cars then it would act somewhat as a meter feeding back in to two lanes.

--- End quote ---

Ask and ye shall receive, I guess... In a joint press conference this morning, California Governor Newsom & Nevada Governor Sisolak announced that Caltrans is working on an "immediate relief" project to address the southbound congestion at the state line.

Sisolak, Newsom promise ‘immediate relief’ for I-15 traffic at Nevada-California border, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12/5/2021

--- Quote from: Las Vegas Review-Journal ---<...>
Newsom said they will take the shoulder about five miles south of the border and make it a third lane during peak hours. The project will cost about $12 million, but Newsom says existing money will be used to complete the project. He says it will be done by Summer 2022, but a more permanent solution is still needed.
<...>
--- End quote ---

If you watch the video included in the article (which starts during Q&A after the actual announcement), the impetus for this was apparently Governor Sisolak making a phone call to Governor Newsom to look into it, and in a subsequent call Sisolak also stating that the first response "wasn't good enough".

A quick measure on Google Maps indicates it's about 5.4 miles from the NV/CA state line to the point where the I-15 SB lanes start to widen out in approach to the agriculture checkpoint—so it looks like I was on to something! Peak period shoulder running isn't as good as a permanent third lane, but it should be a start.

--- End quote ---

What? They are using Mich Ravera's solution!?

Plutonic Panda:
I mean more lanes is always good but really what good will this do with the ridiculous agricultural checkpoint choking up Cali bound traffic?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version