News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Old York Road Philadelphia to New York

Started by roadman65, May 21, 2021, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was reading about the unincorporated community within Readington Township, NJ called Centerville and noticed it derived its name from being midway along the former stagecoach route between NYC and Philly.  It had an inn there where travelers stopped for the night as the journey which presently takes hours took two days then.

I then learned that the Stagecoaches then used the present day Old York Road in Philadelphia and Bucks County, PA. Of course that is where it's name was created from, but as many in the Philadelphia area know it's still used by autos today and is a municipal street in Philadelphia and parts of PA 611 in Philly and PA 611, PA 263, US 202, and PA 179 in Bucks.

In NJ it follows NJ 179 and CR 514 to Reaville where it splits from major numbered routes to a series of 600 routes ( passing through Centerville) to meet up with CR 567 to Raritan. Between Raritan and NYC it's unclear as none of the municipalities between those two points use the name at all, but can assume Main Street/ Talmdge Ave/ Lincoln Blvd and NJ 28 were it to Plainfield.  From east of Plainfield I haven't a clue to it's alignment even guessing.

Does anyone here know more? Has anyone here ever clinched it by car?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

I saw that but with things the way they are as Wiki is not one hundred percent.

Plus I am looking to see if anyone clinched it.  Not so much info.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

I've ridden various bits and pieces of it, but never tried to clinch it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.