News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Crappiest Condition Freeway

Started by Avalanchez71, June 08, 2021, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: bwana39 on June 20, 2021, 06:41:45 PM
LA-3132 the Inner Loop Expressway (Terry Bradshaw Passway) around the south side of Shreveport.

It actually used to be worse, but it still is the worst I can think of!

It's worse than I-20 through town?

*YIKES!!*

:-o

Mike

cpzilliacus

My list (some of these have been posted upthread, generally for good reason):

MD-295 (in Baltimore City);
I-83 (also in Baltimore City);
I-270 (MD-121 to I-70 - pre-Interstate design and it shows);
DC-295;
I-495 at the American Legion Bridge over the Potomac River (needs replacement);
I-95 (Delaware Turnpike) - for being supposedly a toll road, a lot of it is in remarkably bad shape, especially between DE-896 and DE-1;
I-278 (BQE) in New York City;
I-95 (Cross Bronx) in New York City;
I-70 in Pennsylvania (Washington to New Stanton (but parts are being fixed-up) and Breezewood to Maryland border);
I-83 in Pennsylvania (in addition to I-83 in Baltimore City);
I-78 in Pennsylvania (I-81 to Exit 75 near Easton, where the sign marking the beginning of DRJTBC maintenance is located);
I-76 (Sure-Kill Expressway section);
I-90 in Erie County, Pennsylvania (the road is in much better shape in Ohio and New York);
I-70 between Odessa, Missouri and Wentzville, Missouri (needs total reconstruction); and
I-95 (former Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike, pre-Interstate design - but I-295 is a good alternative).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

VetteDriver16

I was just in Michigan and I-69 south of Lansing is a disgrace.  Ditto for I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids (or Gr Rapid per MDOT). 

LilianaUwU

While it's not really a freeway (it's more of an expressway or a super 2), New Brunswick route 15 is awful in certain spots:

(Street View)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Quote from: VetteDriver16 on June 23, 2021, 11:45:12 AM
I was just in Michigan and I-69 south of Lansing is a disgrace.  Ditto for I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids (or Gr Rapid per MDOT). 

I thought Gd Rapids as guide signs on US 31 post that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bwana39

Quote from: mgk920 on June 21, 2021, 01:28:32 PM
LA-3132 the Inner Loop Expressway (Terry Bradshaw Passway) around the south side of Shreveport.

*YIKES!!*

Mike

Here is an example. It is rough too. The concrete is all our of plane. Every one of the expansion joints you saw are separate plates and none of them are level to the next one.
https://goo.gl/maps/tTBqiVv7ifwBDZxr9

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: bwana39 on June 23, 2021, 08:30:37 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 21, 2021, 01:28:32 PM

*YIKES!!*

Mike

Here is an example. It is rough too. The concrete is all our of plane. Every one of the expansion joints you sww are separate platews and none of them are level to the next one.
https://goo.gl/maps/tTBqiVv7ifwBDZxr9

Always fun at the merge from EB 3132 to SB I-49 where the concrete slabs are out of alignment parallel to the lanes of travel...

I-55

Before I-69 was recently reconstructed near Anderson INDOT put up "rough road" signs and a construction speed limit of 60 was up for months before any work was done. Thank goodness it's fixed now.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Flint1979

Michigan should put up a sign at the state line saying Rough Road Ahead Next 300 Miles. But in all honesty they are indeed fixing the roads in Michigan. I've noticed a lot of roads that were in bad shape before that have been repaved. Saginaw and Genesee Counties have improved.

ukfan758

I-20/59 in Birmingham just west of Arkadelphia Rd for about 2 miles was absolutely atrocious. Instead of rebuilding the road 15 years ago, ALDOT decided it would be better to just slap a layer of asphalt on top of the old concrete (I'm guessing that was there since the 70s) and call it a day. Well that pavement started getting deep groves wherever the concrete had gaps between the lanes and the whole road started buckling like the concrete below. A few months ago they finally started working on it and grinded all of the asphalt off. The sad part is the 40-50 year old surface now being used is far better and smoother than the much newer pavement previously above it  :-D

Road Hog

Quote from: ukfan758 on June 29, 2021, 02:24:47 PM
I-20/59 in Birmingham just west of Arkadelphia Rd for about 2 miles was absolutely atrocious. Instead of rebuilding the road 15 years ago, ALDOT decided it would be better to just slap a layer of asphalt on top of the old concrete (I'm guessing that was there since the 70s) and call it a day. Well that pavement started getting deep groves wherever the concrete had gaps between the lanes and the whole road started buckling like the concrete below. A few months ago they finally started working on it and grinded all of the asphalt off. The sad part is the 40-50 year old surface now being used is far better and smoother than the much newer pavement previously above it  :-D
Arkansas did the exact same thing on I-40 in the mid-90s. For a few months it was bliss, until the new asphalt cracked precisely over the old concrete joints and the ride was as bumpy as ever. It took the Mike Huckabee tax increase to save the day.

tolbs17

milbfan

The US 421 Freeway west of I-77 gets my vote.  Like a parade of potholes.  At least the last time I went, which was two years ago...

I haven't been on hardly any freeways in the last 18 months. 

Honorable mention from my past: early 90s I-820 east, heading to I-35W North.  There were... literal speed bumps(?) in the road.  Like four sets of them, strips going across all lanes of traffic.  My dad's car had one of those ashtrays you push to shut.  It popped open.  Eject button came off his tape player.  Not a construction zone at the time.

They were gone a couple of weeks later, our next time through there.

Flint1979

Quote from: milbfan on July 25, 2021, 12:03:22 AM
The US 421 Freeway west of I-77 gets my vote.  Like a parade of potholes.  At least the last time I went, which was two years ago...

I haven't been on hardly any freeways in the last 18 months. 

Honorable mention from my past: early 90s I-820 east, heading to I-35W North.  There were... literal speed bumps(?) in the road.  Like four sets of them, strips going across all lanes of traffic.  My dad's car had one of those ashtrays you push to shut.  It popped open.  Eject button came off his tape player.  Not a construction zone at the time.

They were gone a couple of weeks later, our next time through there.
I've driven US-421 from Winston-Salem to Boone before and don't remember it being awful but that was several years ago now so it might have gotten worse over the years.

TEG24601

The elevated sections of I-5 through Seattle are really showing their age.  Sections of I-5 near Bellingham as well, due to the mountains.  When I used to drive cross-country, there were sections of I-90 and I-94 through the Dakotas, that you literally could not drive in the right lane, and expect to keep your teeth with the buckling panels.

However, Michigan still takes the cake, mostly I-69 from Lansing to Port Huron, I-75 from 16 Mile to US 10, M-59 from Pontiac to I-94, and both I-275 and I-475.  I know they have tried to fix a lot of problems, but most of them won't be fixed if they insist on using such shallow roadbeds and allowing those massive Michigan Only trucks to continue to operate.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kphoger

Isn't this whole thread a moving target?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 25, 2021, 11:13:36 AM
The elevated sections of I-5 through Seattle are really showing their age.  Sections of I-5 near Bellingham as well, due to the mountains.  When I used to drive cross-country, there were sections of I-90 and I-94 through the Dakotas, that you literally could not drive in the right lane, and expect to keep your teeth with the buckling panels.

However, Michigan still takes the cake, mostly I-69 from Lansing to Port Huron, I-75 from 16 Mile to US 10, M-59 from Pontiac to I-94, and both I-275 and I-475.  I know they have tried to fix a lot of problems, but most of them won't be fixed if they insist on using such shallow roadbeds and allowing those massive Michigan Only trucks to continue to operate.
I've driven on many of these stretches plus other areas of the state and the roads are being fixed. I-69 and I-75 are being rebuilt for the most part. Most of I-75 between US-10 and Big Beaver is fine as far as pavement quality goes.

tolbs17

US 264 going from Greenville to Washington is in terrible condition, I hope that stretch gets fixed and rumble strips are added.

ChiMilNet

At least in NE Illinois (Chicago Area), I-55 through Will County, especially near Joliet, potholes and always hoping my tires survive a lane change.
*Dishonorable mention, I-290 between Manheim and Central Ave in Cook County, just the whole thing needs to be rebuilt. The pavement condition isn't terrible, yet isn't great either. However, the 1950s design and original construction of the overpasses, etc, just is not holding up well, and this honestly can't handle the traffic. I personally just don't like this expressway, so I admit my bias may play a role in my mentioning this.

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana: I-70 east of Indy to Richmond... Seems like a never-ending cycle of road construction, especially with a lot of semis on that stretch!

Terry Shea

I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids is probably in better condition than any other freeway segment in Michigan (note: better, not good).  I-75 south of exit 125 (I-475) down to at least I-69 is absolutely horrible!

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 26, 2021, 03:18:14 AM
I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids is probably in better condition than any other freeway segment in Michigan (note: better, not good).  I-75 south of exit 125 (I-475) down to at least I-69 is absolutely horrible!
I-75 north of exit 125 is in pretty good shape though. The stretch south of there hasn't been repaved in over 30 years. I-475 just got repaved on the north section that was formerly one of the worst stretches of Interstate anywhere. Through Oakland County where it's currently being repaved is in good shape and going through Auburn Hills up until Joslyn Road is in pretty good shape, north of Joslyn it gets pretty bad for awhile though. It's bad past I-69 on I-75 though it really doesn't get any better until you get to Oakland County.

Those roads haven't been repaved yet but I'm sure they will be. I-69 south of Lansing is being repaved around the Charlotte area I believe it's been about a month since I've driven I-69 there though.

Route66Fan

I remember I-35 in Southern Minnesota was pretty bad, when I was last up there on a trip in 2013. My uncle even remembered it being pretty bad, as well, back in the 1990's.

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 08, 2021, 09:17:24 PM
US-20 around Rockford has a lot of pavement issues. These issues extend west as well, including out to the two-lane section. Within the last couple years though, a portion around Freeport was resurfaced and is in great shape. Otherwise, the corridor is a mess.

I also would like to give an oh-so-special shoutout to the section of Palatine Rd/Willow Rd between Milwaukee Ave and the Tri-State. The fact that IDOT resurfaced Palatine from Milwaukee Ave all the way west past IL-53, but couldn't be bothered to properly fix this small section just boggles my mind.

It's getting resurfaced this year.

https://www.idotacts.com/acts/constructionUpdateReport.jsp;jsessionid=C6800F84777A751040BA954AB53FF62C

tells you everything you need to know.

Crash_It

Quote from: Henry on June 09, 2021, 11:41:07 AM
For Chicago, it was the Eisenhower Expressway. Going through some of the roughest West Side neighborhoods, it looked the part as well. Thankfully, the Circle Interchange reconstruction project is a start.

when's the last time you drove it? Pavement is smooth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.