Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Headlines About California Highways – September 2021

(1/5) > >>

cahwyguy:
The headlines for September are up. Here's the intro paragraphs (go to the post for live links):

--- Quote ---Happy new year! What do you mean, I just wished you happy new year? This is a different new year. Happy US government fiscal new year! Welcome to FY22. May it bring us a new budget, a raised debt ceiling, and infrastructure bill, and lots of highway upgrades and improvements at the Federal and State levels.

That said: The September bunch of headlines seems a bit lighter. Part of this is because road construction and planning was a bit on hold as budgets were being worked out, and due to the immense fires in the state. There also wasn’t a CTC meeting in September, so there wasn’t quite as much news. I also think more and more papers are going behind paywalls, making it harder to find information. As always, if you see a highway related headline, please send it my way.

Next week will bring something to these pages that hasn’t been seen since March 2020: a live theatre review. Our theatregoing, in a post-COVID environment, starts next week with My Fair Lady at the Dolby/Broadway In Hollywood. A return to normalcy? A dangerous event? We shall see, but my other hobby is returning. We’re taking it slow at first, but as they say, “Wouldn’t it be loverly?” to be back to normal. You know what you have to do: (redacted, because of the reactions of some on this forum, but at least I took my shot in the full post).

And with that, here are the headlines for September. My plan is to get the highway page update out sometime in mid-November, with a final update for 2021 right at the start of 2022.

--- End quote ---

So with that said: Here's the link: https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16151 ... and Ready, set, discuss.

Plutonic Panda:
It really appears as if the anti-710 tunnel crowd want to remove every inch of roadway up to the exact line of the 210 and I 10 and build right up against it to make it as hard as possible to ever think there could be a tunnel between the two ever again. And that is just out right despicable even if they donít want to build the tunnel now. I guess Iíll write to my congressman again and ask that he opposes any bill that removes the stubs. Not much else I can do besides bitch about it online but I really think this will be looked back on as one of the dumbest moves the state has ever made.

cahwyguy:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2021, 09:14:12 PM ---It really appears as if the anti-710 tunnel crowd want to remove every inch of roadway up to the exact line of the 210 and I 10 and build right up against it to make it as hard as possible to ever think there could be a tunnel between the two ever again. And that is just out right despicable even if they donít want to build the tunnel now. I guess Iíll write to my congressman again and ask that he opposes any bill that removes the stubs. Not much else I can do besides bitch about it online but I really think this will be looked back on as one of the dumbest moves the state has ever made.

--- End quote ---

Actually, the bill authorizing relinquishment to Pasadena I believe has already been passed, as has the removal from the Freeway and Expressway system. The route is still on the books, however, so they could find some different route and start over again. Highly unlikely.

As for the dumbest move the state has made (with respect to the highways). Hardly.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: cahwyguy on October 03, 2021, 01:05:23 AM ---
As for the dumbest move the state has made (with respect to the highways). Hardly.

--- End quote ---
Yeah right. This an obvious connection that anyone looking at a map would wonder why they hell a gap exists here.

cahwyguy:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 03, 2021, 01:58:01 AM ---Yeah right. This an obvious connection that anyone looking at a map would wonder why they hell a gap exists here.

--- End quote ---

The problem often comes when we see roads as lines on a map, and fail to consider the communities the lines go through, the terrain, and the environmental factors. This is especially true in today's world. If they had never built the stubs at the 10 and the 210, and had just through to build the connector somewhere else on the corridor, they would have had much better success. Building the stubs where they did doomed the effort from Day 1, just as the Beverly Hills freeway was doomed.

But as for other dumb moves: Not planning for greater port traffic on the other end of the 710. Not connecting the 105 to the 5. Not completing the 90. That's just in the LA area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version