News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 113; a little bit of vintage US 40, US 40A, US 99W and CA 24

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 24, 2019, 12:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I recently drove a large chunk of CA 113 from CA 12 northward to CA 45 at the Sacramento River in Knight's Landing.  CA 113 is somewhat unique in that it has sections that were part of three US Routes; US 40, US 40A and US 99W in addition to CA 24.   There is Historic US 40 signage posted 1st street in downtown Dixon but even the general path of CA 113/I-80 is part of a later US 40 alignment.  Some of the present CA 113 freeway uses what was a US 99W/US 40A alignment north of Davis to Road 27.  CA 24 and US 40A used all of CA 113 north of CA 113/I-5 all the way to Tudor.

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/02/california-state-route-113-little-bit.html

My photo set for CA 113 can be found below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvmqDQG

bing101

I remember in Dixon CA-113 was also co-signed with Historic US-40 and with Lincoln Highway shields near the I-80 Exit.

Max Rockatansky

At least northbound it is still signed as Historic US 40 on 1st Street between Adams and I-80:

https://flic.kr/p/2eFbzck

While the Lincoln Highway eventually was rerouted via the US 40 corridor in the Carniquez Bridge opened I personally always associated that more with Altamont Pass.  I didn't see any Lincoln Highway signage when I was passing through. 

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2019, 04:49:56 PM

While the Lincoln Highway eventually was rerouted via the US 40 corridor in the Carniquez Bridge opened I personally always associated that more with Altamont Pass.  I didn't see any Lincoln Highway signage when I was passing through. 

I do recall some Lincoln Highway and Historic US 40 signage in downtown Davis (on streets that used to be US 40/99W) back when I went to college out there.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 25, 2019, 02:47:06 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2019, 04:49:56 PM

I do recall some Lincoln Highway and Historic US 40 signage in downtown Davis (on streets that used to be US 40/99W) back when I went to college out there.

Does anyone know how well the Lincoln Highway was signed in the late 1920s?  There seemed to be a push by the Lincoln Highway Association for a couple years after the US Route system still to promote the highway.  I would assume that the signage just didn't disappear off the face of the Earth instantly and probably lasted well into the 1930s?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.