News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Quote from: LM117 on January 16, 2017, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: HazMatt on January 16, 2017, 08:12:11 PM
Signs for 785 are now up on 40 through Greensboro.

Meanwhile, the "Future I-785" signs on US-29 around Danville seem to have disappeared.

So is I-785 dead then in VA? One would think Danville would want I-785 as much as Martinsville wants I-73 but recently I haven't heard anything at all regarding future interstate. Does NC plan to finish upgrading US-29 anytime soon? Didn't see it in NCDOTs 2017-2027 draft
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

LM117

Quote from: Jmiles32 on January 16, 2017, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: LM117 on January 16, 2017, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: HazMatt on January 16, 2017, 08:12:11 PM
Signs for 785 are now up on 40 through Greensboro.

Meanwhile, the "Future I-785" signs on US-29 around Danville seem to have disappeared.

So is I-785 dead then in VA? One would think Danville would want I-785 as much as Martinsville wants I-73 but recently I haven't heard anything at all regarding future interstate. Does NC plan to finish upgrading US-29 anytime soon? Didn't see it in NCDOTs 2017-2027 draft

Until NC finishes it's part of I-785, then I think it's safe to say I-785 is dead in VA. US-29 around Danville doesn't meet interstate standards and there are no plans by VDOT to do any upgrades. Some of the acceleration ramp merges are too short and need lengthening and there is an at-grade RIRO at Elizabeth Street that needs to either be closed or have the road grade separated. I don't know of any plans by NCDOT to upgrade US-29.

As far as I know, Danville would still like to have I-785, but they're not jumping head over hills for it the way Martinsville has for I-73. I guess after seeing Martinsville get it's hopes up only to have them crushed time and again, Danville knows not to expect much (if anything) anytime soon.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of I-785 because I don't think it will do much for the region. Southside VA is economically dead and the only new interstate that would be worth it IMO would be an extension of I-83 from Baltimore to Greensboro and that ain't happening.

Eastern NC tends to get a lot of flak due to the fact that they gained 3 new future interstates (I-42, I-87, I-587) and a future extension of an existing one (I-795) all within years' time, but while that region is definitely economically depressed, it's nowhere as dead as southside VA. I see no issue with the region having those interstates, though I certainly understand criticism of I-87 due to it's routing.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mvak36

I'm curious, does NC actually have an intention of finishing 785? It seems like if they're not going to do it anytime soon, why even sign it on the Greensboro Loop?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on January 17, 2017, 09:16:27 AM
I'm curious, does NC actually have an intention of finishing 785? It seems like if they're not going to do it anytime soon, why even sign it on the Greensboro Loop?

Yes, NCDOT does intend to finish I-785. It's just not a high priority for them right now.

Rothman

Heh.  Makes me wonder how low on the list it is, then.  If it has become like the Rooftop on NY, might as well be never.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on January 17, 2017, 10:00:00 AM

Yes, NCDOT does intend to finish I-785. It's just not a high priority for them right now.
Agreed. Why they couldn't wait until the next section of the Loop to US 29 is completed is unknown. Hopefully, not too many drivers will get lost trying to get to Danville using the Loop exit for the next year or so.

The Ghostbuster

They should have left 785 unposted until the upgrades along US 29 were completed. Whether that will ever happen or not is likely up in the air.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on January 18, 2017, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: LM117 on January 17, 2017, 10:00:00 AM

Agreed. Why they couldn't wait until the next section of the Loop to US 29 is completed is unknown. Hopefully, not too many drivers will get lost trying to get to Danville using the Loop exit for the next year or so.
Here's a photo of one of the new signs courtesy of AARoads On The Road blog:

OracleUsr

My guess is that most people travelling through this area going to Danville would have already passed exit 223 (US 29 North) first anyway, and technically the off-ramp from I-840 does direct traffic to US 29 via US 70.

What's going to be fun is when they put the signs up south/westbound (if you look at the opposite side of this junction in real life, you'll see new gantry assemblies going up in prep for new signs).

Speaking of Greensboro, what was the point of putting a LEFT banner on the Randleman Road exit eastbound? Everything else in that area has been unchanged since 2010 or before.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

The Ghostbuster

Why isn't Interstate 840 posted on that sign? Are they waiting for more of the freeway loop to be completed so they can add it on later?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 19, 2017, 03:37:00 PM
Why isn't Interstate 840 posted on that sign? Are they waiting for more of the freeway loop to be completed so they can add it on later?

Probably and now that you mention it, that may be why NCDOT is signing it only as I-785, that way the road would have a signed designation while the rest of I-840 gets built. That's just my 2 cents, anyway.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on January 19, 2017, 03:42:43 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 19, 2017, 03:37:00 PM

Probably and now that you mention it, that may be why NCDOT is signing it only as I-785, that way the road would have a signed designation while the rest of I-840 gets built. That's just my 2 cents, anyway.

Less confusion for the drivers, and both sections of I-840 is still disconnected and will be for some time until 2020. It makes sense to sign one section as I-73/I-840 while the other section as I-785 only until both sections of I-840 is built and connected with each other and then the I-840 signing will be added to the eastern Loop; and since I-785 is a odd numbered spur, it makes sense to sign it along the eastern Loop up to US 70 and then US 29 even if NCDOT is putting off upgrading US 29 to interstate standards until well after the Loop is built.

Nothing is wrong with what NCDOT is doing (they are doing the same thing you see with many other odd spur routes all over America and I am fine with I-785 being signed on the eastern part of the Loop for time being.

LM117

Driverless cars are going to be tested on the Triangle Expressway.

http://www.wral.com/driverless-cars-to-be-tested-on-wake-toll-road/16453203/

QuoteThe Triangle Expressway toll road in western Wake County will served as a proving ground to test driverless cars, officials said Friday.

The U.S. Department of Transportation recently designated the North Carolina Turnpike Authority, which operates the toll road, from more than 60 applicants for one of 10 pilot sites to test automated vehicle technologies.

"The Triangle Expressway, with its access to three Tier 1 research universities and the largest research park in North America, make it the ideal location for this pilot program," Turnpike Authority Executive Director Beau Memory said in a statement. "As safety is our No. 1 priority, we believe this opportunity will allow us to learn how to best keep our customers safe with this emerging technology."

No details about who is conducting the tests or when they will be done were released.

National transportation officials said the 10 sites have different facilities that can be used to gauge safety, manage various roadways and conditions and handle various types of vehicles.

In addition to the North Carolina Turnpike Authority, other designees include the following:

City of Pittsburgh and the Thomas D. Larson Pennsylvania Transportation Institute

Texas AV Proving Grounds Partnership

U.S. Army Aberdeen Test Center

American Center for Mobility (ACM) at Willow Run
Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) & GoMentum Station

San Diego Association of Governments

Iowa City Area Development Group

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Central Florida Automated Vehicle Partners

orulz

President Trump's infrastructure priority list actually includes I-95 in North Carolina as the #5 national priority. I understand the current list is not intended to be set-in-stone policy, but I find it interesting and somewhat telling that North Carolina's section of I-95 is recognized to be such a problem that it gets such a high priority on the national level.

The project is listed as "Repairs" to I-95 in NC with a cost of $1.5 billion. I've read that a complete upgrade and widening of I-95 in NC from border to border would be in the range of $4.5 billion, so I wonder exactly what these "Repairs" would involve. Surely a complete rebuild from Kenly to Fayetteville should be the top priority because it's both the oldest and most heavily traveled section, including a high percentage of commercial trucks. The entire stretch from Rocky Mount to Fayetteville could use at least one extra lane in each direction, I'd say. Also, given that Trump is highly focused on PPPs to leverage private funding to build infrastructure, it will be interesting to see if this plan involves tolls (or, alternatively, toll lanes.)

Henry

Add to that a $4 billion plan to widen I-95 in SC, and this could be a worthwhile project for drivers going anywhere from Savannah to Miami.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

When road projects get into the billions, you likely have to use tolls. I doubt the amount raised from traditional sources of income would be sufficient to cover such extensive projects.

Strider

Tolls are coming. There is no way to avoid this. Seems like to build/improve a road can get the price tag up to billions or probably more.

LM117

The last time the idea to toll I-95 was brought up, there was massive opposition from truckers and cities/towns, which largely got the proposal killed. I-95 runs through some of the poorest areas of the state, which would mean political suicide for any local politician to be in favor of tolls. There was also concern from the towns/cities that traffic would use US-301 as a shunpike route, since the road wasn't designed to carry the kind of traffic I-95 has, and were worried that shunpike traffic on US-301 would clog up local roads.

New toll lanes on I-95 might happen, but tolling all of it? I don't see it happening.

LM117

NCDOT is hosting a public meeting next Monday to discuss a new proposed interchange on I-95 at Sunset Avenue in Rocky Mount.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/News/2017/01/31/Meeting-to-discuss-new-I-95-interchange.html

QuoteAnyone wanting to voice their opinion about the proposed Interstate 95 interchange at Sunset Avenue will get their chance next week.

The N.C. Transportation Department is hosting a public meeting from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday in Brown Auditorium at Nash Community College.

The interchange is meant to provide improved access to I-95 in support of economic development in Rocky Mount. Ramps will be added to the Sunset Avenue overpass along with widening Sunset Avenue to four lanes with a median between Old Carriage and Halifax roads.

NCDOT expects to complete the Categorical Exclusion environmental document in April 2017. Acquisition of right-of-way should begin in April 2019. The project is scheduled for construction in 2021.

Interested residents can attend the open meeting at anytime. NCDOT representatives will be on hand to answer questions. No formal presentations will be made.

Auxiliary aids and services will be provided for disabled people. Anyone requiring special services should contact Caitlyn Ridge, public involvement officer with NC DOT Human Environmental Section, via email at ceridge1@ncdot.gov or by phone at 919-707-6091 as early as possible so arrangements can be made.

People who don't speak English or have a limited ability to read may receive interpretive services by calling 1-800-481-6494.

Anyone who wants to provide a comment but cannot attend the meeting can visit www.ncdot.gov and learn how to provide a statement online, via email or phone. Comments will be accepted until Feb. 21.

For more information, contact project engineer Jay McInnis at 1548 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1548 or by phone at 919-707-6029 or via email at jmcinnis@ncdot.gov.

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on January 31, 2017, 09:30:32 PM
NCDOT is hosting a public meeting next Monday to discuss a new proposed interchange on I-95 at Sunset Avenue in Rocky Mount.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/News/2017/01/31/Meeting-to-discuss-new-I-95-interchange.html

QuoteAnyone wanting to voice their opinion about the proposed Interstate 95 interchange at Sunset Avenue will get their chance next week.

The N.C. Transportation Department is hosting a public meeting from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday in Brown Auditorium at Nash Community College.

The interchange is meant to provide improved access to I-95 in support of economic development in Rocky Mount. Ramps will be added to the Sunset Avenue overpass along with widening Sunset Avenue to four lanes with a median between Old Carriage and Halifax roads.

NCDOT expects to complete the Categorical Exclusion environmental document in April 2017. Acquisition of right-of-way should begin in April 2019. The project is scheduled for construction in 2021.

Interested residents can attend the open meeting at anytime. NCDOT representatives will be on hand to answer questions. No formal presentations will be made.

Auxiliary aids and services will be provided for disabled people. Anyone requiring special services should contact Caitlyn Ridge, public involvement officer with NC DOT Human Environmental Section, via email at ceridge1@ncdot.gov or by phone at 919-707-6091 as early as possible so arrangements can be made.

People who don't speak English or have a limited ability to read may receive interpretive services by calling 1-800-481-6494.

Anyone who wants to provide a comment but cannot attend the meeting can visit www.ncdot.gov and learn how to provide a statement online, via email or phone. Comments will be accepted until Feb. 21.

For more information, contact project engineer Jay McInnis at 1548 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1548 or by phone at 919-707-6029 or via email at jmcinnis@ncdot.gov.

Oooo, I just may on my way home from work.

froggie

Not mentioned in the article, but this project would require NCDOT to submit an Interchange Justification Report (IJR) to FHWA.  In short, they need to convince FHWA that the project would A) be a full, logical interchange, and B) not have a detrimental impact on I-95 travel.

froggie

I've done an analysis of I-95 traffic volumes and posted it in the I-95 SC thread.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 10:41:29 AM
Not mentioned in the article, but this project would require NCDOT to submit an Interchange Justification Report (IJR) to FHWA.  In short, they need to convince FHWA that the project would A) be a full, logical interchange, and B) not have a detrimental impact on I-95 travel.

I don't think it would be too difficult to do, IMO. From points south, there's no direct access to Rocky Mount from I-95 without having to get on US-64 and using one of it's exits. Also, depending on what the final interchange design is, I can't imagine that a new interchange would cause significant problems for I-95 traffic.

Traffic

Quote from: orulz on January 26, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
President Trump's infrastructure priority list actually includes I-95 in North Carolina as the #5 national priority. I understand the current list is not intended to be set-in-stone policy, but I find it interesting and somewhat telling that North Carolina's section of I-95 is recognized to be such a problem that it gets such a high priority on the national level.

The project is listed as "Repairs" to I-95 in NC with a cost of $1.5 billion. I've read that a complete upgrade and widening of I-95 in NC from border to border would be in the range of $4.5 billion, so I wonder exactly what these "Repairs" would involve. Surely a complete rebuild from Kenly to Fayetteville should be the top priority because it's both the oldest and most heavily traveled section, including a high percentage of commercial trucks. The entire stretch from Rocky Mount to Fayetteville could use at least one extra lane in each direction, I'd say. Also, given that Trump is highly focused on PPPs to leverage private funding to build infrastructure, it will be interesting to see if this plan involves tolls (or, alternatively, toll lanes.)

Don't forget the "Carolina Connector" intermodal terminal CSX wants to build on the A line just north of Rocky Mount.   While it may reduce some truck traffic on other areas of I-95, it is likely to increase truck traffic in this area as truck to rail transfers are made.  The idea is more container traffic from the NC ports.   It may work for CSX shipping out of Wilmington, but tracks may still be the way to go between the terminal and Morehead City (on the NS line). 

CanesFan27

Sometimes a non-roadgeek trip leads to a roadgeek discovery.  That's what happened when our family went to the Greensboro Children's Museum yesterday.  On the route, we came across the stub end of Murrow Blvd at Gate City Blvd (former NC 6). Some research shows that there was supposed to be an urban expressway paralleling what was then Lee St. to the south and continuing on to the Coliseum Area.  Not much is really known about this extension - or how far it was in planning - or what killed it. Some assumptions can be made on  why the project never made it through - however, I'd love to know more.

I've blogged about it here: http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/02/trying-to-figure-out-what-happened-to.html

if anyone has any additional information - let me know!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.