News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2020, 09:19:29 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 25, 2020, 05:43:25 PM
The Polk County Board of Commissioners approved a resolution in support of designating US 74 between Interstate 26 and Interstate 85 to a "future interstate quality corridor."

Hopefully they also sent a map showing US 74 since no one in Raleigh probably has a clue where Polk or Rutherford counties are located.

https://www.tryondailybulletin.com/2020/02/25/polk-approves-us-74-resolution/
Make it I-30!

Considering that they've already insisted on duplicating a 2di for no good reason when an east-west number would've been just fine, don't give them any ideas...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

^

Using NCDOT's logic, obviously US-74 between Wilmington and I-26 is best suited to become a southern I-79 or I-83.  :bigass:

Going towards Wilmington is southbound, going towards Asheville is northbound.

LM117

The Polk County Board of Commissioners approved a resolution in support of designating US 74 between Interstate 26 and Interstate 85 to a "future interstate quality corridor."

Hopefully they also sent a map showing US 74 since no one in Raleigh probably has a clue where Polk or Rutherford counties are located.

I figured this would happen sooner or later. I-426 would be the number I'd go for.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

According to the article, Rutherford approached Polk about the support. Improvements are already proposed in Rutherford's Comprehensive Transportation Plan from a couple of years ago. I'm about 98% sure Polk already "passed" something like this in the past.

Apparently Polk and Rutherford did in 2013: Bigger plans for US 74 bypass? April 17, 2013

There's just so little representation out that way. Rep. Johnson is the first state representative from Polk County in 54 years. No one in Raleigh has a reason to drive US 74. If Shelby was between Raleigh and the beach it would have been bypassed 20+ years ago.

IF it ever happens, I think the Columbus-Kings Mountain segment and Matthews-Rockingham segments will get separate 3di numbering since there seems to be no real long term goal in Raleigh for US 74 across the state.

• Still seven years from having a completed Shelby bypass. Remaining at-grade intersection in Mooresboro still isn't funded (R-4045), so the whole segment will remain "future" for awhile.
  • They've been repaving US 74 in Rutherford County, so missed opportunity there.
  • Any interstates west of I-26 and I-40 are highly unlikely (Corridor K and beyond)
  • Who knows if or when bypasses will be built around Marshville and Wadesboro
  • I-73/I-74 numbering and routing is already a convoluted mess from Rockingham to Wilmington

sprjus4

^
My suggestion for approaching the I-73 / I-74 issue and keeping it realistic would be the following -
1) Delete the existing and future I-74 designation between the northern junction with I-73 and the southern terminus in Myrtle Beach. This would leave I-73 a single designation throughout the state, with no long overlaps (I-840 withstanding).
2) Designate the US-74 corridor, utilizing I-85, I-485, and US-74 Toll Bypass in the Charlotte area, from I-26 to Downtown Wilmington as Future I-3x, and immediately sign-post the existing I-74 segments with the new designation that would be deleted so those towns don't "lose" interstate access.
3) Eventually delete the I-74 designation entirely in North Carolina, and designate a 2di or 3di along the existing segment between I-77 and I-73 via Winston-Salem and High Point.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 26, 2020, 06:33:32 PM
^
My suggestion for approaching the I-73 / I-74 issue and keeping it realistic would be the following -
1) Delete the existing and future I-74 designation between the northern junction with I-73 and the southern terminus in Myrtle Beach. This would leave I-73 a single designation throughout the state, with no long overlaps (I-840 withstanding).
2) Designate the US-74 corridor, utilizing I-85, I-485, and US-74 Toll Bypass in the Charlotte area, from I-26 to Downtown Wilmington as Future I-3x, and immediately sign-post the existing I-74 segments with the new designation that would be deleted so those towns don't "lose" interstate access.
3) Eventually delete the I-74 designation entirely in North Carolina, and designate a 2di or 3di along the existing segment between I-77 and I-73 via Winston-Salem and High Point.
if any new 2di, especially for the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, I say it would be I-79 or I-83 (most likely I-83 since it's further away).
Fun fact - if you want to extend the proposed 2di interstate down to Myrtle Beach, I-73 will die.

I don't see how a 3di would work, and I hope there's no odd digits. Maybe I-477 or I-677 or I-877.

http://prntscr.com/r87sv8

Quote from: LM117 on February 26, 2020, 07:39:41 AM

I figured this would happen sooner or later. I-426 would be the number I'd go for.
I feel like a 3 digit for that route is too long, as it looks longer than I-476 in Pennsylvania. I think it should stay designed as a 2-digit.

LM117

I don't think the Monroe Bypass can become an interstate, since it's tolled.

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on February 26, 2020, 07:05:53 PM
There's highways that have been tolled and have an interstate. And if they were going to plan an interstate from Asheville to Wilmington, why was that bypass tolled in the first place?

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on February 26, 2020, 07:05:53 PM
Since no federal funding was used in the project, it can be designated as an interstate highway.

The Ghostbuster

The Monroe Bypass does not need an Interstate designation. It should keep its existing US 74 Bypass designation. Likewise, US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham doesn't need an Interstate designation either. As for the US 74 corridor between Interstates 26 and 85, I could live with it being designated Interstate 426, since there aren't any 3di's of Interstate 26 in North Carolina.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 27, 2020, 03:26:29 PM
The Monroe Bypass does not need an Interstate designation. It should keep its existing US 74 Bypass designation. Likewise, US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham doesn't need an Interstate designation either. As for the US 74 corridor between Interstates 26 and 85, I could live with it being designated Interstate 426, since there aren't any 3di's of Interstate 26 in North Carolina.
The entire corridor from I-26 to Wilmington warrants an interstate highway designation, not two separate designations between I-26 <-> I-85 and I-73 <-> Wilmington. It's a main connection across the southern part of the state, and long-range plans call for upgrading it into an interstate highway, and a lot has already been built. It connects Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington and is a shortcut I-40 for end-to-end traffic.

ARMOURERERIC

You will want to go with 36 or lower, I can for see an East West mid state interstate on the drawing board in 30 years.  Mocksville Asheboro Siler City Cary, you will need 38 reserved for that.

cowboy_wilhelm

Apparently House Speaker Timmy Moore is reading my posts about the Shelby bypass. Better late than never, I guess.

How Shelby bypass project could drive development in region - WSOC
Full article from Charlotte Business Journal with potential pay wall: How the Shelby bypass project could affect development in Cleveland County

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-27-i-40-i-440-split-closure.aspx

Quote​RALEIGH — N.C. Department of Transportation contractors are planning a closure tonight at the junction of Interstate 40 and Interstate 440 as part of the widening of I-40 from Southeast Raleigh to Clayton.

From midnight to 5 a.m., I-40 West will be closed at Exit 301. Drivers will take the exit and proceed to Poole Road (Exit 15) to turn around and continue on I-40 West.

The closure will allow for girder installation on the new flyover bridge from I-440 East to I-40 East.

​Drivers should allow extra time to navigate the detour route and pay extra attention while driving through the work zone.

wdcrft63

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 27, 2020, 04:49:31 PM
You will want to go with 36 or lower, I can for see an East West mid state interstate on the drawing board in 30 years.  Mocksville Asheboro Siler City Cary, you will need 38 reserved for that.
Repeating earlier posts: the best choice for a 2di designation from I-26 to Wilmington would be I-36, because there is no NC 36.

cowboy_wilhelm

Apparently Raleigh does care about US 74. It looks like the NCDOT is applying for a $63.5 million INFRA Grant for upgrades along the corridor. This includes $10 million towards the Shelby Bypass (and construction maybe moving up a year?), the Mooresboro interchange in Cleveland County (R-4045), installation of fiber optic to support ITS and signal improvements, and installation of flood gauges in Columbus and Robeson counties. Half of the grant would go to fiber and ITS installation. This enables signal synchronization for the stretch from Marshville through Wadesboro.

If the grant is awarded and the state's funding holds up for the four interchange projects in Columbus and Robeson counties, US 74 will be completely grade separated from I-26 to I-85 and from Laurinburg to Bolton by 2026.

US 74 Corridor Opportunities for Rural Efficiency and Safety Improvements (CORESI)

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-28-i-440-jones-franklin-ramp-closure.aspx

Quote​RALEIGH – As part of the Interstate 440 Improvements project, N.C. Department of Transportation contractors will be closing the exit ramps at the Jones Franklin Road interchange Sunday night.

One exit ramp at a time will be closed between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. the following morning so crews can install breakdown lanes along the side of the ramps.

The detour for drivers from westbound I-440 will take drivers to I-40 to turn around and come back to Jones Franklin Road.

Eastbound drivers will follow a detour to Hillsborough Street to turn around and come back to exit at Jones Franklin Road.

The closures are weather dependent and subject to change.

Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay extra attention as they travel through the work zone.

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 27, 2020, 05:47:22 PM
Apparently House Speaker Timmy Moore is reading my posts about the Shelby bypass. Better late than never, I guess.

How Shelby bypass project could drive development in region - WSOC
Full article from Charlotte Business Journal with potential pay wall: How the Shelby bypass project could affect development in Cleveland County
Question: What is the status of sections A/AB/B of the bypass, from US 74 West to NC 226? They were to open by the end of 2019, I think?

ARMOURERERIC

My assistant manager was at both the West end of the bypass and the 226 interchange on Friday, said both has the concrete work done.

cowboy_wilhelm

The AB/B section was supposed to be open to traffic by September 15, but that didn't happen. Pavement markings were down on the western end in January. I think they may have been down as far back as November.  1) All the rain the past couple of years kept delaying things and 2) I think they ended up having to do a lot more re-grading than expected (again, rain) since the morons at NCDOT decided to have two separate projects for this one section, leaving the graded roadway unpaved for 1-2 years until the next contract for R-2707F was let.

How many other highway projects call for seeding grass on the roadway instead of paving? They even dug run-off ditches across the future roadway. Absolutely absurd.

Dec 2016: https://goo.gl/maps/QUDjFNMBFvQoWQ8D6
May 2018: https://goo.gl/maps/bHBcmAGt2GnUD9aZ6
https://goo.gl/maps/sWgYu4Xtfow7PVYm9
https://goo.gl/maps/csyXnXB9mCNdzLUYA

cowboy_wilhelm

Supporting documents for the US 74 INFRA grant application can be found on this page.

Pages 3 and 4 of the supplemental design document (94 MB file) show the conceptual designs for two alternatives for STIP project R-4045. The designs appear to be part of a feasibility study that is underway or recently completed for upgrading US 74 from I-26 to I-85 (Express FS-1812A). The FS doesn't appear to be available on NCDOT's website yet.

LM117

A contract to replace the expansion joints on the I-95 bridges over the Roanoke River has been awarded. Completion is expected by December.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-03-northampton-county-i-95-bridges.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on March 03, 2020, 10:59:56 AM
A contract to replace the expansion joints on the I-95 bridges over the Roanoke River has been awarded. Completion is expected by December.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-03-northampton-county-i-95-bridges.aspx
At least common sense prevailed and they suspended lane closures during the summer months. That would be a nightmare if they didn't.

LM117

Eric Boyette has replaced Jim Trogdon as NCDOT Secretary.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-06-this-week-ncdot.aspx

Can't help but wonder if Jim's sudden 'retirement' had anything to do with NCDOT's funding problems...

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-03-06-basnight-bridge-lane-closures.aspx

Quote​NAGS HEAD — Daytime lane closures in the work zone around the Marc Basnight Bridge in Dare County will resume March 9.

During the lane closures, workers will complete "punch list" items on the bridge project, including finishing touches to the bridge deck and railings, and paving the final asphalt layer on the roadway leading up to the bridge itself.

Motorists should be aware of the possibility of daytime lane closures at any time from 7 a.m. Mondays through 3 p.m. Fridays. During the lane closures, contractors will use flaggers to control traffic and post appropriate warning signs. Lane closures will vary in length but will typically be between a half-mile and one mile long. One lane of traffic will be open at all times. Drivers are urged to slow down and use caution while crews are at work.

The work is expected to be complete by mid-June.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.