News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 15, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
Quote from: snowc on November 15, 2021, 10:36:18 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 15, 2021, 07:05:26 AM
With I-95 widening also getting underway in multiple swaths in North Carolina, you may want to consider SC 38 to US 74 Bus to NC 177 to US 1 to I-85 for traveling to NYC in 2022...
Im heading there this thanksgiving to SYR.

Should be fine on I-95 right now...I drove all of NC's I-95 NB last Monday in the middle of the afternoon and there were no construction delays...
Well, I'm leaving on Saturday, so there's no problem for me. 

bob7374

Another new NC interstate coming soon? The recently signed infrastructure bill includes high priority corridor designation for US 421 from I-85 to I-95 in Dunn, supporters of the corridor upgrade want this to become Future I-685:
https://www.tarpo.org/2021/11/bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-clears-the-way-for-future-i-685-interstate-designation-in-the-carolina-core/

ran4sh

895 would probably be a better number for that route, don't want to use up all the x85s
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on November 19, 2021, 12:05:28 PM
Another new NC interstate coming soon? The recently signed infrastructure bill includes high priority corridor designation for US 421 from I-85 to I-95 in Dunn, supporters of the corridor upgrade want this to become Future I-685:
https://www.tarpo.org/2021/11/bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-clears-the-way-for-future-i-685-interstate-designation-in-the-carolina-core/

Why Dunn? Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it make more sense to end it at I-295 somewhere near Spring Lake?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on November 19, 2021, 12:40:19 PM

Why Dunn? Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it make more sense to end it at I-295 somewhere near Spring Lake?

Likely to keep clear of Fort Bragg. I also agree that I-895 seems more correct as it would be a north-south designation starting from I-95; but maybe that want to future extend it east onto I-40, so who knows.

snowc

I got pictures of what it will look like.

snowc

THANK YOU JESUS! Lets see if this does NOT get rejected by NIMBY's!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

LM117

It's strongly suspected that Toyota will build a battery plant at the Greensboro-Randolph megasite, which so happens to be located along US-421. Makes me wonder if I-685(?) was included in the infrastructure bill for that very reason...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-19/toyota-eyes-panasonic-as-partner-in-north-carolina-battery-plant

The Ghostbuster

When I saw the initial post about the US 421 corridor becoming an Interstate, I assumed it meant the portion of 421 between Wilkesboro and Winston-Salem. Is a US 421 "Interstate" really needed between Greensboro and Dunn? If this corridor were made an Interstate, I think it should have a 2-digit number, such as 36 or 38.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2021, 03:30:21 PMIs a US 421 "Interstate" really needed between Greensboro and Dunn?

If Toyota confirms that they indeed will build a battery plant at the megasite I mentioned, then I'd say it played a huge role in luring them there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of negotiations between the state and Toyota. The timing of all this seems too perfect to be a coincidence, IMO.

mvak36

How much of this corridor is already interstate grade? I didn't look too closely but the part from Greensboro to Sanford seems like it's closer to being done (if it isn't already) than the part from Sanford to Dunn.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on November 19, 2021, 12:47:44 PM

Likely to keep clear of Fort Bragg. I also agree that I-895 seems more correct as it would be a north-south designation starting from I-95; but maybe that want to future extend it east onto I-40, so who knows.
Why would they want to avoid Fort Bragg? It looks like the impetus for this is coming from the Greensboro area primarily and the Sanford area secondarily. When Fayetteville realizes what's going on, they're going to want the interstate to come there.

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on November 19, 2021, 05:07:35 PM
How much of this corridor is already interstate grade? I didn't look too closely but the part from Greensboro to Sanford seems like it's closer to being done (if it isn't already) than the part from Sanford to Dunn.

Only the Sanford bypass meets interstate standards. The rest of it will need upgrades and, in some areas east of Sanford, new alignments.

The section between I-85 and Siler City is a freeway, but it has substandard shoulders. Given that it would be the easiest part to upgrade, NCDOT would probably start at I-85 and work their way down from there.

RoadPelican

Greensboro to Siler City has at-grade intersections (0 traffic lights). (least expensive to upgrade to interstate standards)

From the end of the Siler City Bypass to the US 421 exit at Sanford, I counted around 15 to 20 at-grade intersections with believe it or not only 1 traffic light!  (medium expensive).

From Sanford to Dunn is where THE BIG BUCKS are needed:

Sanford to Lillington: currently just a 2 lane road

Lillington to Dunn: 4 lanes, but it's mostly 4 lanes with a center turn lane even in the rural sections, plus a new crossing of the Cape Fear River would have to be built, the current US 421 crossing at the Cape Fear River is just north of downtown Lillington.

Why not just bring the new interstate down to Fayetteville?  My guess is that Toyota wants an extremely rural freeway connection to get out to I-95, instead of having to deal with I-295 around Fayetteville, Ft Bragg and Spring Hill.

Plus, this highway will serve a growing Harnett County, many people are leaving Wake County for Harnett County because of rising home prices in Wake County.  It's rising everywhere, but it's double crazy the closer you get to Raleigh.

It would be nice if this interstate connects to Goldsboro and Greenville in the future.  It would be a nice bypass of the Raleigh metro area.

RoadPelican

4 at-grade intersections are between I-85 and Siler City (Correction)

LM117

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 19, 2021, 06:37:54 PM
4 at-grade intersections are between I-85 and Siler City (Correction)

I stand corrected.

Revive 755

Quote from: ran4sh on November 19, 2021, 12:16:57 PM
895 would probably be a better number for that route, don't want to use up all the x85s

Could multiplex it westward with I-85 and I-73 and make it I-640.  Maybe I-40S in the future  :spin:

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2021, 03:30:21 PM
When I saw the initial post about the US 421 corridor becoming an Interstate, I assumed it meant the portion of 421 between Wilkesboro and Winston-Salem. Is a US 421 "Interstate" really needed between Greensboro and Dunn? If this corridor were made an Interstate, I think it should have a 2-digit number, such as 36 or 38.

I don't know - for some reason to me tonight it doesn't seem like an important enough corridor for a 2di.

ARMOURERERIC

Some last minute diversions to our Forest City store had me drive through the Shelby bypass construction zone twice in the last 6 days.  The Bidwell machine was up on the nc 150 overpass, it appears that the nc 180/railroad overpass is complete, and since my last visit in the late spring, they got the reinforcing  rods installed for the nc 18 side barriers.  Seems they are making more effort to complete between nc 18 and 150 that nc 226 and 18 which still needs tons of grading.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 20, 2021, 09:09:50 AM
Some last minute diversions to our Forest City store had me drive through the Shelby bypass construction zone twice in the last 6 days.  The Bidwell machine was up on the nc 150 overpass, it appears that the nc 180/railroad overpass is complete, and since my last visit in the late spring, they got the reinforcing  rods installed for the nc 18 side barriers.  Seems they are making more effort to complete between nc 18 and 150 that nc 226 and 18 which still needs tons of grading.

Am I correct that the NC 180 relocation is not open yet?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

fillup420

I wonder what the route designations will look like once the bypass is done. Currently Dixon Blvd is signed as US 74 Bypass, and a business route goes through downtown. I would imagine current bus. route is deleted, and Dixon becomes the bus. route, with the new bypass being mainline 74. But with this being NC, who knows  :confused:

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2021, 08:39:47 AM

Am I correct that the NC 180 relocation is not open yet?

Correct, still not open.  In fact, little to no work west of 150 since my last trip.

wdcrft63

How about an odd first digit? I-185 or I-195. Doesn't an even first digit mean the route returns to the parent?

ran4sh

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 22, 2021, 06:24:56 PM
How about an odd first digit? I-185 or I-195. Doesn't an even first digit mean the route returns to the parent?

That's technically not what they wrote when they (AASHTO or whoever) came up with the numbering rules, but it is how some states have interpreted it. But they really meant, even first digit means both ends of the route are at other Interstates. E.g. I-275 in Tennessee
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

tolbs17

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 22, 2021, 06:24:56 PM
Yes and no.

froggie

Even within NC, we have precedent of an even 3di not meeting its parent at both ends:  I-285.

Plenty of precedent elsewhere, too.  I-295 VA, both I-291's, I-280 NJ, I-271 OH amongst some off the top of my head...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.