News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Small road bridges

Started by iBallasticwolf2, March 17, 2015, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Here's a small truss bridge on State Route 8 in Kentucky not to far from Cincinati. I've been on it, it's a neat little bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.969753,-84.302376,3a,75y,144.16h,91.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sVKuR1uJuph08MJWE3iXc6w!2e0
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Zeffy

If these are just bridges on 2-lane roads then there's going to be too many to list.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

iBallasticwolf2

Fair enough, any decent sized but not freeway road bridge

TheHighwayMan3561

They used to have a pretty cool truss bridge on MN 200 in Jacobson over the Mississippi just west of MN 65, but was replaced with a standard causeway bridge in the late 2000s. :(
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadrunner75

iBallasticwolf2

7/8

I stumbled upon this one by chance. This is the Holland Mills Rd Bridge just south of Bleams Rd in New Hamburg, ON. I'm not sure if it's abandoned, or just under reconstruction (I can't seem to find any information about it's closure). I took the photos yesterday.

I also happened to see a fisherman from Michigan, which I thought was funny (what are the chances of him being at this random spot in Ontario?)

kphoger

These smaller bridges are some of my favorites.

Here is my #1:
Route 161 Extension, Marion County, IL
https://goo.gl/maps/pHQtCmAEwwH2
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

I also happened to find this bridge by chance while taking photos for the take-it-yourself sign challenge, and I'm glad I did! Here's the Black Bridge Road bridge in Cambridge (Hespeler), ON:

I saw a VMS saying the bridge will be closed on August 24th for a week for repairs. Judging from this article I found, it may not be around for much longer.

http://www.570news.com/2016/06/01/cambridge-closer-to-reconstruction-of-black-bridge-road/
QuoteCambridge city council inches closer to moving ahead with the proposed Black Bridge Road reconstruction project.

It’s voted in favour of an environmental study of the initiative, despite calls from opponents for it to wait until the completion of the area’s cultural heritage landscape designation.

The project, if eventually approved, would see a new bridge built over the Speed River in Hespeler.

There would also be improved pedestrian walkways and bike lanes between Townline Road and Baldwin Drive.

The Black Bridge is about 100 years old, and Councillor Mike Devine admits, it’s an emotional issue, but he tells the Record, the bridge’s “life is done.”

Supporters of the project maintain it’s also a matter of safety, saying fire trucks can’t use the current bridge.

I'll admit, though it's sad to see it go, the one-lane bridge seemed inadequate, given the amount of traffic driving by.

AsphaltPlanet

Waterloo Region is probably the best spot to find old bridges in all of Ontario.  The upper reaches of the Grand and Conestogo have several old narrow truss bridges.  The only river that might be comparable is the upper reaches of the Thames, but it doesn't have nearly the same number of bridges that remain in Waterloo.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 20, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
Waterloo Region is probably the best spot to find old bridges in all of Ontario.  The upper reaches of the Grand and Conestogo have several old narrow truss bridges.  The only river that might be comparable is the upper reaches of the Thames, but it doesn't have nearly the same number of bridges that remain in Waterloo.

Waterloo Region also has Ontario's only covered bridge (still left, that is), so I think that adds to it's claim :)

Being so close to home, I decided to visit the West Montrose Covered Bridge today (in West Montrose, ON) for the first time. It was also my first time seeing and driving through a covered bridge. I noticed the floor wasn't flat; there were sags between the ends and the middle.

Pictures of the bridge exterior and the Grand River:

The plaque with historical information:

The interior (I also took a lower angle view but it came out blurry :/):

Kissing Bridge Trailway signs (according to Wikipedia, the bridge is nicknamed the kissing bridge since couples were out of sight when inside the bridge):

Maximum 3 tonnes sign, with "weight" faded out. This was on all the signs I saw (does it have to do with making it bilingual?):

Two more signs approaching the bridge:

jbnati27

This is the Stonelick-Williams Corner covered bridge in Clermont County, Ohio. This bridge actually collapsed and fell into Stonelick Creek a couple of years ago. The county opted to rebuild the bridge using enough of the original material to maintain historical status. This is also the only remaining covered bridge in Clermont County.

7/8

I managed to find some cool bridges in the Outaouais region of Quebec! Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to explore, but I managed to get a couple photos of the exteriors.

1) The Félix-Gabriel-Marchand Bridge in Mansfield-et-Pontefract on Chemin du Pont Rouge at Route 148. It crosses the Coulonge River not far from the Ottawa River. <Google Maps Location>

2) The truss bridge in Farrellton on Chemin Newcommon at Route 105; it crosses the Gatineau River. <Google Maps Location>

3) The Wakefield Covered Bridge which connects Chemin du Vieux-Pont and Chemin Gendron over the Gatineau River.
<Google Maps Location>

^ This photo was taken across the river, and what a beautiful spot! I would definitely recommend walking or driving along Chemin Riverside.

inkyatari

NECRO BUMP! (I didn't feel right starting a new topic for one image)

Here's a local favorite.  This is 7-Mile Bridge over the Illinois and Michigan Canal on Old Stage Road between Morris and Seneca, IL

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

RobbieL2415

Mitchell River Bridge.  Chatham, MA.

GSV (pre-renovation):
https://goo.gl/maps/7y3xMVVQmSP2

Best post-rehab photo I could find.  They re-decked it and replaced the wooden supports with concrete ones.  Also put in new stoplights (the old ones were from the 80's and the bulbs were burned out.).

Max Rockatansky

Snagged some photos of some 1920s/30s small road bridges in the Sierras yesterday.

The Cottonwood Creek Bridge which was built in 1923 on CA 245:

IMG_5854 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5855 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Salt Creek Bridge and Pumpkin Hollow Bridge on CA 198, I'm fairly certain both were constructed in 1922:

IMG_5606 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5608 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5611 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5612 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Clover Creek Bridge on the Generals Highway which opened to traffic in 1935:

IMG_5758 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5760 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: 7/8 on August 23, 2016, 06:00:33 PM
Kissing Bridge Trailway signs (according to Wikipedia, the bridge is nicknamed the kissing bridge since couples were out of sight when inside the bridge):

We had the same thing on Seaman Avenue between Baldwin and Freeport, New York over a century ago.

1913:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Freeport-Baldwin_NY_Kissing_Bridge_postcard_c._1913.jpg

2017:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seaman_Avenue_Kissing_Bridge_004.jpg

In the meantime, here's a tiny bridge for River Avenue in Eastport, New York over the LIRR Montauk Line;

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_River_Avenue,_Eastport,_NY;_Narrow_Bridge.JPG

The US 301 bridge over the Nottaway River had higher weight limits that this, and yet that was torn down by VDOT.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2017, 05:33:24 PM
The Salt Creek Bridge and Pumpkin Hollow Bridge on CA 198, I'm fairly certain both were constructed in 1922:
IMG_5612 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
"Pumpkin Hollow?" Way off topic here, but I once tried to take a sliver of the big sand pit at Gordon Heights County Nature Preserve and name it "Pumpkin Gulley." The idea was that I'd dump a bunch of old pumpkins and pumpkin guts in this one area, let nature take it's course by allowing the rain to impact it and if not grow wild pumpkins in the area, at least create the smell of them, and then fabricate some old colonial sounding legend around the pumpkins or pumpkin scent in that patch of land. Sadly the name never caught on.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yeah I'm lost on why it is called "Pumpin Hollow" out of all things.  I'm sure the meaning really is just lost to time at this point.  The Pumpkin Hollow Bridge shares similar designs with several bridges that are nearby in Tulare County and were all built in 1922 or 1923:

1.  Cottonwood Creek on CA 245
2.  Salt Creek Bridge on CA 198
3.  East Fork Kaweah River Bridge on Mineral King Road

A lot of the stuff in the Sierras in Tulare and Fresno County was funded by 1919 bond measures which eventually led to CA 198 and 180 being built.  Another byproduct was the Kings River Bridge in Kings Canyon which was built in 1933 and I just so happen to cross yesterday:

IMG_6571 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Incidentally that's one hell of a flow coming downstream on the Kings River.

csw

Spent last summer working as a bridge inspector around the Fort Wayne area, found a few neat little bridges...

Old truss turned into pedestrian bridge just SW of I-469/US-27 interchange
https://goo.gl/maps/3oLfqcP31jk

Bridge right next to the convergence of Fort Wayne's three rivers - can't see the side profile from GSV but still a pretty nice view for being pretty much downtown
https://goo.gl/maps/mVbvduZTPZ62

Another nice-looking bridge a few blocks north, decorative brick on most of it. (Allen County does an excellent job of labeling their bridges with info about their construction - case in point the names carved into the barrier, visible on the linked streetview)
https://goo.gl/maps/i8kswQDHfaG2

Didn't inspect this one as it's over the county line but a nice covered bridge regardless
https://goo.gl/maps/FEZxbWMBgAL2

And there was one more 100+ year-old truss somewhere in Northeastern Allen County but I don't remember where exactly it was.

I like to use these bridges as part of my case on why Indiana is way less boring than most people think.

Max Rockatansky

Had some single lane madness today with the Elm Avenue/Arroyo Seco River Bridge which opened in 1943 and the San Lucas Bridge over the Salinas River from 1915:

IMG_9933 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Encountered plenty of older small road bridges on my last trip into the Sierras....

Kemble Road over the East Fork Chowchilla River...and under the much larger CA 49 bridge above it:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Rainbow Bridge on Donner Pass Road/Old US 40:

IMG_0903 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 70 in the Feather River Canyon Starting with Howell's Bridge with a derelict next to it:

IMG_0521 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0520 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Belden Town Bridge:

IMG_0525 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0524 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Tobin Bridge:

IMG_0538 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0535 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Storrie Bridge:

IMG_0542 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Rock Creek Bridge:

IMG_0553 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And the Pulga Bridge:

IMG_0563 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0596 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

The Coloma Bridge:

IMG_0245 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0243 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The 1921 Hoyt Crossing Bridge of the South Fork Yuba River and replacement span on modern CA 49:

IMG_0338 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0348 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0350 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Jersey Bridge on CA 49 in Downieville:

IMG_0402 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0393 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sandwalk

My favorite "small road" bridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/MNczvzDmcMu

Blue Bridge (as it's known) carries back-road Lamereaux Road over the Huron River in Huron County, Ohio.

csw

Found this one the other day, the Boner Bridge spanning Little Pigeon Creek and the Warrick-Spencer county line, a bit east of Evansville:

theline

^^ That's interesting, a wooden deck and no roof. I thought that most wood deck bridges are covered bridges, to protect the deck from the weather.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.