News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

249 and 99 interchange (Houston)

Started by bluecountry, April 21, 2020, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

QuoteThe project includes connectors in four directions: heading north on the Tomball Tollway to eastbound or westbound on the Grand Parkway and going eastbound or westbound on the Grand Parkway to southbound on the Tomball Tollway, as Community Impact Newspaper previously reported.

I'm confused on a few things:

1)  Why in Houston of all places, building new roads, would they not have included direct connections from the start?
2) How come there are not going to be full connections for all directions when complete?

[urlhttps://communityimpact.com/houston/tomball-magnolia/transportation/2020/04/20/work-begins-on-hwy-249-grand-parkway-direct-connectors-in-tomball/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily+Roundup+-+TOM[/url]

MaxConcrete

Quote from: bluecountry on April 21, 2020, 09:28:36 AM
QuoteThe project includes connectors in four directions: heading north on the Tomball Tollway to eastbound or westbound on the Grand Parkway and going eastbound or westbound on the Grand Parkway to southbound on the Tomball Tollway, as Community Impact Newspaper previously reported.

I'm confused on a few things:

1)  Why in Houston of all places, building new roads, would they not have included direct connections from the start?
2) How come there are not going to be full connections for all directions when complete?

[urlhttps://communityimpact.com/houston/tomball-magnolia/transportation/2020/04/20/work-begins-on-hwy-249-grand-parkway-direct-connectors-in-tomball/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily+Roundup+-+TOM[/url]

I don't know the answer with 100% certainty, but I'm almost sure it is the usual reason: lack of funding, other financial obligations or bond issuance limits imposed by the official toll revenue projections.

The SH 99 Grand Parkway toll road is a TxDOT project. They had to work within a certain budget, and the bidders submitted bids on the base project and separate "extras" like interchanges. I don't know if the SH 249 interchange was an "extra", but of course they stretched available money as far as possible, with full connections at US 290 and 2 connectors at both IH 45N and IH 69N.

The SH 249 Tomball Toll road is a HCTRA project. HCTRA is swimming in money, but they build projects from ongoing cash flow and they already had numerous projects underway, particularly expansions of BW8 (Sam Houston Tollway) on the southeast side, including the $1 billion ship channel bridge. They probably decided the connectors were not a priority.
But as traffic on SH 99 exceeded expectations (I don't know about SH 249), HCTRA recognized the need and proceeded with the four connectors. HCTRA is paying for 100% of the project, as far as I know.

I assume it's the same reason why all 8 connectors are not being built: HCTRA has other financial obligations and are building what is most needed right now.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Work is proceeding well, with many piers in place for the EB-SB connector

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.