News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

While I'm not familiar with all of New Jersey's roundabouts, I do know Most of them are single lane roundabouts. I know there's a partial double lane near Cinnaminson, but in a much less congested area.

Looking at the plans for the 46/3 project, I noticed the one roundabout is very close to a 3 partial lane roundabout, but the right turn lane is separated either by a stripped line or a minor bypass. And in at least one other case, while it's a dual lane output from the roundabout, it quickly becomes a single lane on the side street. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2014, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 22, 2014, 02:24:01 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 22, 2014, 01:11:43 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 22, 2014, 12:07:07 AM
Plans for said interchange:
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt46/plans.shtm

I never had a problem with it eastbound. Its westbound with all the merging that is a mess. The left lane of NJ-3 just kinda vanishes into the right lane of US-46.

For historical context, this is the original 2003 plan for this project, note the lack of roundabouts: https://web.archive.org/web/20041125170344/http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt46/altB.pdf
Wait.
Wait.
The fuck.
The new solution STILL has two lanes from Route 3 WB? They're going to spend umpteen billion dollars and not solve the single biggest problem of all by a country mile?
I want my tax dollars back.

I noticed that as well. Biggest issue there is the damn merge on NJ 3. It'll improve things somewhat, but not as much as is needed. Someone probably plugged the design into a software package and decided that it the cost-benefit ratio wasn't good, but 3 lanes would be better.
I have not been a NJ resident for over 24 years, so I am not familiar with the current road situations, but it does sound like they are putting a band aid on what should be major surgery.  If I am not mistaken the whole bottleneck on NJ 3 WB approaching the 46 merge is caused by a lane drop, so how is not eliminating that going to do major change to commuters traveling there?

It's NJ. There aren't too many projects that shouldn't be a major surgical procedure. Unfortunately due to the existing conditions & properties, the wants/desires/fears/cries of local residents & municipal leaders, and the budget limitations, many projects that would benefit from a complete overhaul get the bandaid treatment. And there's other issues as well, especially downstream. 3 lanes may be best here, but would it simply bottleneck traffic a mile down the road?

Maybe build the project where the road could easily be widened in the future, keeping bridge piers and major utilities far enough away to allow for an additional lane.

Using the GS Parkway Int 9/10/11 project as an example, there was one design where a county road condition would result in a Service Level 'F', even after the rebuild. The town was willing to accept it because of the overall benefits elsewhere. I'm not sure if this was the selected option though.

storm2k

Quote from: cl94 on November 21, 2014, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: storm2k on November 21, 2014, 09:51:34 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on November 21, 2014, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on November 21, 2014, 09:08:41 PM
Just looked at it on Google Maps.

Oh. My. God.

Yup, sometimes I have no idea how NJDOT thought their creations were anywhere near efficient, let alone safe.

Actually a number of intersections like this were considered state of the art in the 30s and 40s when they were built. also, not nearly as much car traffic as there is now.

Doesn't mean that it should stay the way it always was. I avoid this area at all costs because of that interchange. 3 lanes on both US 46 and NJ 3 go to 2 and both merge directly into 3 lanes. Thing is a nightmare. Merge signage is nonexistent as well. Not too far west of there is the I-80 interchange I hate.

I agree completely. This interchange should have been fixed years ago. Unfortunately, time, money, and strong NIMBY-ism often conspire to create less than ideal solutions to old infrastructure problems.

Zeffy

Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2014, 03:50:58 AM
I agree completely. This interchange should have been fixed years ago. Unfortunately, time, money, and strong NIMBY-ism often conspire to create less than ideal solutions to old infrastructure problems.

Oh, so true. Every moment I look at the 206 Bypass in my own town I just sigh and think of what it could have been...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

storm2k

Quote from: Zeffy on November 23, 2014, 10:16:58 AM

Oh, so true. Every moment I look at the 206 Bypass in my own town I just sigh and think of what it could have been...

I grew up in Finderne so I feel exactly the same way.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on November 23, 2014, 10:16:58 AM

When I drive through Tenafly (the town fighting resumption of rail service to its downtown) and its richy-rich neighbors, I am often sad that the Turnpike Northern Extension didn't get rammed through them as planned.  Ah, what could have been...

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6725441,-74.3297379,3a,75y,19.16h,86.74t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srXA4eBYIxuIcOL2yt6oU4g!2e0  I see Union County, NJ decided to sign CR 509 SPUR as CR 577 along CR 509 in Westfield after NJDOT was signing it as this for years.

To me I always thought the CR 509 SPUR should have been this all along as basically it always was an extension of CR 577 more than it was a spur of its parent.  Both had a head to head terminus with NJ 124 in Springfield and I do not know why it was never conceived from the very beginning.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2014, 08:41:02 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6725441,-74.3297379,3a,75y,19.16h,86.74t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srXA4eBYIxuIcOL2yt6oU4g!2e0  I see Union County, NJ decided to sign CR 509 SPUR as CR 577 along CR 509 in Westfield after NJDOT was signing it as this for years.

To me I always thought the CR 509 SPUR should have been this all along as basically it always was an extension of CR 577 more than it was a spur of its parent.  Both had a head to head terminus with NJ 124 in Springfield and I do not know why it was never conceived from the very beginning.

That's been like that for several years at least. I used to drive through there all the time when going from my apartment in Union to downtown Westfield.

NJRoadfan

The 577 signs were switched in back in 2003 when the county signed all their 600 routes. Prior to that, county posted signed were all CR-509 Spur and relatively new (1998ish?). There were county posted traffic light overheads at Hillside Ave. in Springfield that said CR-577 the whole time. NJDOT still has a CR-509 Spur SLD, but even they have always posted 577 signs on that roadway at US-22 and NJ-124.

The old shields:

Prior to the construction of I-78 relocating Main St. in Millburn/Springfield, CR-577 used to end at Morris Ave. in a different location, across from Mountain Ave. next to the church. The stub that used to be called Main St. is now Church Mall. Once Main St. was relocated to intersect Springfield Ave., CR-577 and 509 Spur basically ended at each other. It was pretty logical to extend the route and kill the spur as NJDOT was doing that anyway to other Spur 500 routes.

Alps

Wow, it's very interesting to see a SPUR 509 shield. The new SLDs are due out any day now and should clear things up.

NJRoadfan

I took a picture of it because it had SPUR in the shield. Hopefully the new SLDs don't invent all kinds of county routes that don't exist. I heard NJDOT actually contacted the counties this time for information.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Alps on November 26, 2014, 12:16:42 AM
Wow, it's very interesting to see a SPUR 509 shield. The new SLDs are due out any day now and should clear things up.

Are there actually going to be new SLDs coming soon? I'm sure going to miss the old data on municipal roads from 1999.

J Route Z

This sign must be an error..http://goo.gl/maps/1KPzJ  as there is no road coming up that is CR 630, at a T intersection, unless they should've posted it in the other direction because Millburn Ave is CR 630, though Vauxhall Road is signed as CR 630 here: http://goo.gl/maps/B3gug   It's sorta misleading. 

Alps

Quote from: J Route Z on November 28, 2014, 11:05:00 PM
This sign must be an error..http://goo.gl/maps/1KPzJ  as there is no road coming up that is CR 630, at a T intersection, unless they should've posted it in the other direction because Millburn Ave is CR 630, though Vauxhall Road is signed as CR 630 here: http://goo.gl/maps/B3gug   It's sorta misleading. 
Posted too far south maybe?

NJRoadfan

Its posted on the wrong side of the street. Millburn Ave. is Essex CR-630. Vauxhall Rd. is Union CR-630... confusing ain't it? Essex County signs its tiny part of Vauxhall Rd. as CR-630 ALT.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 28, 2014, 11:23:43 PM
Its posted on the wrong side of the street. Millburn Ave. is Essex CR-630. Vauxhall Rd. is Union CR-630... confusing ain't it? Essex County signs its tiny part of Vauxhall Rd. as CR-630 ALT.
I was looking for the ALT. Couldn't make out the county name from that angle.

storm2k

Interesting thing I saw driving home from my mom's house on Thanksgiving. On 287 SB at the approach for Exit 14A, they've not only "Left Exit" tabs to the two diagrammatic approach signs, they have also changed the destination from New York City to Newark. The interesting thing about that is that instead of putting a green out panel over the old destination, they actually did the new destination in button copy. I was impressed.

J Route Z

Quote from: storm2k on November 30, 2014, 12:28:28 AM
Interesting thing I saw driving home from my mom's house on Thanksgiving. On 287 SB at the approach for Exit 14A, they've not only "Left Exit" tabs to the two diagrammatic approach signs, they have also changed the destination from New York City to Newark. The interesting thing about that is that instead of putting a green out panel over the old destination, they actually did the new destination in button copy. I was impressed.

That's really neat. Isn't button copy a thing of the past?

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on November 30, 2014, 02:27:57 PM

That's really neat. Isn't button copy a thing of the past?

That's why it's interesting :)

I'll be interested to see what they do with other signs at the exit. Northbound sign still says New York, as does the pull through on 22 EB.

Alps

Most of the letters were already there. Where did the "a" come from?

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on December 01, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

I was wondering that. I'm not really sure, unless they borrowed it from another sign they've replaced (like Easton PA on the NB side? I'm not sure).

Also of note is that the sign on the overhead bridge at the exit itself has not changed at all. That sign has bothered me for 20 years because the exit tab is on the wrong side and the spacing on the numbers for the exit tab are bad, but I think that's because the exit was originally numbered as Exit 11 before they renumbered the exits on 287 to make them start at the Turnpike. I'm wondering if they're going to just replace the whole bridge as part of the work they're doing on the interchange and the improvements to 22 at Chimney Rock Rd.

hubcity

Quote from: storm2k on December 02, 2014, 04:35:43 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 01, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

I was wondering that. I'm not really sure, unless they borrowed it from another sign they've replaced (like Easton PA on the NB side? I'm not sure).

Also of note is that the sign on the overhead bridge at the exit itself has not changed at all. That sign has bothered me for 20 years because the exit tab is on the wrong side and the spacing on the numbers for the exit tab are bad, but I think that's because the exit was originally numbered as Exit 11 before they renumbered the exits on 287 to make them start at the Turnpike. I'm wondering if they're going to just replace the whole bridge as part of the work they're doing on the interchange and the improvements to 22 at Chimney Rock Rd.

Aha, I was wondering where that "Parsipp ny" control city came from... :spin:

Zeffy

Just remembered something I wanted to ask..

On US 1 south of NJ 18, there are several mentions for a "DETOUR" of TRUCK NJ 27. Looking through the SLDs, I'm pretty sure there isn't a TRUCK NJ 27 in the first place. What gives?

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Probably a truck detour for NJ 27...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Most likely. The reason I was confused was because they signed it like this:

However, I guess it probably saves more money fabricating it like this rather than making a larger green / orange sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.