News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AARoads shield gallery updates

Started by agentsteel53, May 30, 2009, 01:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

We had to update the server to php 7.1 and the depreciated code for the Shield Gallery broke as a result.

My friend Matt update the code for the WP based pages. But I have not had the time to work out the kinks to get it ready to re-release while I have been months deep in converting interstate-guide.com into WordPress. Hope to get to the Shield Gallery soon...

formulanone

Looks like it is up and running again.  :cool:

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on March 11, 2019, 08:57:06 PM
Looks like it is up and running again.  :cool:

Matt fixed the old script.  :nod:
I am going to shift attention to working on the new one now.

Jacob

I know this topic has gone dead, but I have been wanting to know if I would be able to upload a couple of my pictures to the gallery?

Alex

Quote from: Jacob on July 28, 2019, 08:07:20 PM
I know this topic has gone dead, but I have been wanting to know if I would be able to upload a couple of my pictures to the gallery?

I just sent Matt an update of things in the Shield Gallery script that need fixing, plus a few tweaks. It will still be awhile before its ready for updates again.

Will post here when that finally happens.

Alex

Looks like I effed up the Shield Gallery by uploading an old php file without having downloaded the ones Matt worked on.

I messaged him to see if he has copies of the files. In the meantime the show.php file doesn't work, so the gallery won't output the page with the photo showing the shield.

Without getting long sought after Wordpress based Shield Gallery script completed and running, I am about at the point to where I am ready to just delete the whole damn thing.

US71

Quote from: Alex on February 07, 2021, 06:52:37 PM
Looks like I effed up the Shield Gallery by uploading an old php file without having downloaded the ones Matt worked on.

I messaged him to see if he has copies of the files. In the meantime the show.php file doesn't work, so the gallery won't output the page with the photo showing the shield.

Without getting long sought after Wordpress based Shield Gallery script completed and running, I am about at the point to where I am ready to just delete the whole damn thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

Thankfully Matt had copies of the files from when he last fixed it and the Shield Gallery is working again.

Still going to consider whether or not updating the format/script is worth investing. While the current version works, I cannot add new entries or update existing ones without digging into the database.

jzn110

Quote from: Alex on February 08, 2021, 12:58:13 PM
Thankfully Matt had copies of the files from when he last fixed it and the Shield Gallery is working again.

Still going to consider whether or not updating the format/script is worth investing. While the current version works, I cannot add new entries or update existing ones without digging into the database.

It'd probably be easier, and better, in the long run to add a photo gallery plugin to WordPress and import all the photos from the shield gallery into the WP Media Library, and then build out new shield gallery pages right in WP.

There are TONS of different photo gallery plugins with different capabilities (all of them free), but the overall general process would be to create a gallery of all the shield photos from one state, create a shortcode of that gallery, and drop it into a page for that state, publish, and repeat for all states/provinces/individual gallery pages.

It'd be time consuming upfront to set up, but fairly easy to maintain after that, and without any major coding headaches.

Also, the shield generator should probably be retired since Flash is officially dead.

Alex

Spent the better part of a week reformatting the Shield Gallery from the 2010 html table-based design into a responsive one using CSS flexbox. Just finished checking the pages and testing out the php functionality by adding a few new photos.

I am happy to post that the pages are now mobile friendly.

Did this work ahead of a planned overhaul of the php script that generates the Shield Gallery. While the functionality will generally remain the same, we plan on simplifying some of database structure, dealing with depreciated code, and developing an easier way to edit or update entries. As it stands right now, you have to login to the server and use phpmyadmin to change anything, which is not optimal by any stretch.

I have a few other changes cosmetically for parts of the main site under development now as well. We'll see how far I can get before my GIS classes resume next month...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.